Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2020 RL with 2000 original miles sat in my driveway for two days. No lights were left on, or accessories.
Upon discovering this I tried to start it. Nothing, but the start button was flashing. No starter click, or engine movement.
A bit later the flashing stopped. I called the Honda Roadside assistance line & they offered to boost it. I declined as the dealer is about a mile or so away. Calling the dealer was pointless as they refused help, & insisted I call Roadside assistance.
It finally started on the 3rd boost try from Honda Roadside. Made an app at the dealer to check it out.
The dealer said they rebooted the system. Their advice was to drive it more often. Hilarious right? What if I go on vacation for 2 weeks? Everything came back up, but they cannot explain why it quit.
Thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
5,485 Posts
My 2020 RL with 2000 original miles sat in my driveway for two days. No lights were left on, or accessories.
Upon discovering this I tried to start it. Nothing, but the start button was flashing. No starter click, or engine movement.
A bit later the flashing stopped. I called the Honda Roadside assistance line & they offered to boost it. I declined as the dealer is about a mile or so away. Calling the dealer was pointless as they refused help, & insisted I call Roadside assistance.
It finally started on the 3rd boost try from Honda Roadside. Made an app at the dealer to check it out.
The dealer said they rebooted the system. Their advice was to drive it more often. Hilarious right? What if I go on vacation for 2 weeks? Everything came back up, but they cannot explain why it quit.
Thoughts.
Guaranteed, you cannot leave your RL for two weeks without starting it. You would need a jump box or a battery tender. My 2017 will barely make it 8 days sitting at the airport.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,926 Posts
  • Purchase a battery tender and get it connected to the battery if you are leaving the vehicle un-driven for more than 6 days.
  • Also invest in a booster pack like a Gooloo 500A battery booster on Amazon. It costs $40 currently and I have jumped my truck and a v6 Accord with it. These boosters also fit in a purse and weigh as much as a small book. They can be used as a flashlight and also a portable battery pack to charge your cellphone and other personal mobile electronics.
  • If this happens again, then get the battery replaced under warranty by the dealership you bought it from.
@Carsmak , can you move this to the G2 section please? Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
584 Posts
Guaranteed, you cannot leave your RL for two weeks without starting it. You would need a jump box or a battery tender. My 2017 will barely make it 8 days sitting at the airport.
Just over a year ago, my wife and I went on a 10 day cruise. With travel days and arriving couple of days early for the cruise, we were gone 13 days. Both the Ridgeline and her 2015 NX started with no problems. I did not use a battery tender while we were gone.

·
Super Moderator
1,475 Posts
I have a VYNCS battery monitoring system on my 2017. Have had it on there since the first winter of 2016-2017. I have graphed the battery over a period of weeks while it sits in the airport parking lot waiting for my return. The longest I've had it sit without my MUS 4.3 was 3 weeks. That was about the safest length of time i was comfortable with due to the battery voltage getting down to around 12.1 - 12.2 volts. I would be worried beyond that it wouldn't start. I also have a internal battery resistance tester which reads CCA/AH as well and if you are truely worried about your batteries I'd suggest getting one of those to check your battery for CCA/AH capacity vs the rated battery lablel on it. I test mine a couple times a year (no need to test it more than that) usually just before summer and then in the fall when it starts getting cold. After both of the extreme seasons that's when you need to worry the most about your battery. Below is the battery tester I have. Consider one. And consider a trickle charger also for extended down periods. It only helps keep your battery lasting longer. Discharging your battery too low hurts it over time and in the lifetime of the battery you can extend it with a desulfination charger like this one.

Steve

Amazon.com: Digital 12V Car Battery Tester Pro with AH/CCA Mode Automotive Battery Load Tester and Analyzer of Battery Life Percentage,Voltage, Resistance and CCA Value for Car, Motorcycle, Boat, Vehicle etc: Automotive - Battery Tester for CCA and Internal battery resistance
Amazon.com: CTEK (56-959) Silver MUS 4.3 TEST & CHARGE 12 Volt Fully Automatic Charger and Tester: Automotive - Test and charge the battery with this Ctek

·
Super Moderator
1,475 Posts
And if you are wondering what the VYNCS battery monitor looks like to see a history of it say since Jan 1st of this year here's a snap from it this am. Battery looks pretty good to me still. Even without a CCA test.

Steve

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,485 Posts
I have a VYNCS battery monitoring system on my 2017. Have had it on there since the first winter of 2016-2017. I have graphed the battery over a period of weeks while it sits in the airport parking lot waiting for my return. The longest I've had it sit without my MUS 4.3 was 3 weeks. That was about the safest length of time i was comfortable with due to the battery voltage getting down to around 12.1 - 12.2 volts. I would be worried beyond that it wouldn't start. I also have a internal battery resistance tester which reads CCA/AH as well and if you are truely worried about your batteries I'd suggest getting one of those to check your battery for CCA/AH capacity vs the rated battery lablel on it. I test mine a couple times a year (no need to test it more than that) usually just before summer and then in the fall when it starts getting cold. After both of the extreme seasons that's when you need to worry the most about your battery. Below is the battery tester I have. Consider one. And consider a trickle charger also for extended down periods. It only helps keep your battery lasting longer. Discharging your battery too low hurts it over time and in the lifetime of the battery you can extend it with a desulfination charger like this one.

Steve

Amazon.com: Digital 12V Car Battery Tester Pro with AH/CCA Mode Automotive Battery Load Tester and Analyzer of Battery Life Percentage,Voltage, Resistance and CCA Value for Car, Motorcycle, Boat, Vehicle etc: Automotive - Battery Tester for CCA and Internal battery resistance
Amazon.com: CTEK (56-959) Silver MUS 4.3 TEST & CHARGE 12 Volt Fully Automatic Charger and Tester: Automotive - Test and charge the battery with this Ctek
I was not familiar with the VYNCS battery monitoring system before I read about it here. It seems to provide quite a bit of information about the vehicle. The only downside for me would be the $99 yearly renewal fee. I could purchase a brand new battery every two years with that money.

Reactions: Farther

·
Super Moderator
1,475 Posts
Right, i agree. But it's not just for the battery. It's also there in case of theft. The 3g transmits the current location to a remote webpage so that if there's a problem you'll be notified. The VYNCs application of battery monitoring is just one part of the device.

Steve

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
396 Posts
My 2017 without a doubt sat for a bit over a week (on vacations) with no issues whatsoever when i started it up, and there was more than 1 vacation in the time I owned it.
Honestly I never gave it a thought, with any vehicle I have ever owned.

·
Super Moderator
5,485 Posts
Right, i agree. But it's not just for the battery. It's also there in case of theft. The 3g transmits the current location to a remote webpage so that if there's a problem you'll be notified. The VYNCs application of battery monitoring is just one part of the device.

Steve
Okay, good to know @stevem5215. Question: will the device monitor current draw on the battery? We are having trouble with our 2018 Outback leaving us stranded. Thankfully, the three times the battery has been dead, our car has been in our driveway. We were wondering if there is a parasitic draw causing the issue. Our original OEM battery was replaced under warranty six months ago with another OEM Subaru battery. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
1,475 Posts
It watches voltage drop. So indirectly yes. E=I*R Ohms law.

And the most common Parasite in a car is the glovebox light staying on.

Steve

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2008 Gen 1 has occasionally had that issue, I use it a lot for towing my camper, then it would sit, and after 2 years of that, the battery would die. In addition, my 2018 Subaru Outback battery would die in 4 to 6 weeks. Spoke to the dealer and he said that all modern vehicles have internal electronics that are never off, and quietly suck electrons 24/7. I have never attempted to quantify how much, but the device above could certainly measure that. So now when I go on an extended camping adventure with my Ridge, I always leave the Outback connected to a battery minder. And make sure to use the Ridge around town regularly despite the umm rather low MPG.

Jerry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thoughts.
I think Honda has some defective batteries. My truck was 7 months old and battery went dead, Honda Roadside flatbeded it 70 miles, dealer tested and said it checks OK. Two weeks later, same thing. I left a 2 amp trickle charger on the battery for a couple days, then drove 15 minutes to Walmart, came out, wouldn't turn over. After the third flatbed trip, Honda replaced the 450 CCA factory battery with a larger 550 CCA battery. Perfect ever since and I can leave it parked for 21 days with no problems

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've left both my 2017 and 2019 RTL-E at the airport for 3 to 4 weeks and never had any problem starting. I would guess there is something else going on causing a current drain.

·
Super Moderator
5,485 Posts
I've left both my 2017 and 2019 RTL-E at the airport for 3 to 4 weeks and never had any problem starting. I would guess there is something else going on causing a current drain.
Does freezing weather count as something else?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
My Ridgeline is only fired up on the weekends as it is not a daily driver but pandemic has seen it sit for 2 weeks before starting it and it fires right up. I have an aftermarket alarm that monitors voltage and I’m not seeing any issues. Make Honda replace the battery in it. 2 days is nothing and a joke that the dealer said that. Go to another dealer.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I only drive my 2018 every 2-3 weeks, and I've let is sit for over 30 days a couple of times. Always starts right up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts