Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2020 RL with 2000 original miles sat in my driveway for two days. No lights were left on, or accessories.
Upon discovering this I tried to start it. Nothing, but the start button was flashing. No starter click, or engine movement.
A bit later the flashing stopped. I called the Honda Roadside assistance line & they offered to boost it. I declined as the dealer is about a mile or so away. Calling the dealer was pointless as they refused help, & insisted I call Roadside assistance.
It finally started on the 3rd boost try from Honda Roadside. Made an app at the dealer to check it out.
The dealer said they rebooted the system. Their advice was to drive it more often. Hilarious right? What if I go on vacation for 2 weeks? Everything came back up, but they cannot explain why it quit.
Thoughts.
I only drive my 2018 every 2-3 weeks, and I've let is sit for over 30 days a couple of
I only drive my 2018 every 2-3 weeks, and I've let is sit for over 30 days a couple of times. Always starts right up.
times. Always starts right up.
I only drive my 2018 every 2-3 weeks, and I've let is sit for over 30 days a couple of .times. Always starts right up.
./QUOTE]
QUOTE="tmz, post: 3132345, member: 11802"]
I only drive my 2018 every 2-3 weeks, and I've let is sit for over 30 days a couple of times. Always starts right up.
I have 2017 RTL-E, purchased in July 2017. On a family camping trip in Aug 2019 in S. Michigan I went to start up vehicle. Absolutely nothing. Assuming it was battery issue, tried jumping it- no effect. Vehicle had about 17000 miles and just completed 700 mile trip to campsite. Called Honda, they arranged to have it towed to dealer in Marquette in evening and left there until dealer opened in morning. Got a call from dealer next morning, they hopped in truck and it started right up. They did some checks and couldn't find any issues. Have not had any issues since and I'm at 23K miles. Go figure--but this incident still makes me a bit nervous.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have 2017 RTL-E, purchased in July 2017. On a family camping trip in Aug 2019 in S. Michigan I went to start up vehicle. Absolutely nothing. Assuming it was battery issue, tried jumping it- no effect. Vehicle had about 17000 miles and just completed 700 mile trip to campsite. Called Honda, they arranged to have it towed to dealer in Marquette in evening and left there until dealer opened in morning. Got a call from dealer next morning, they hopped in truck and it started right up. They did some checks and couldn't find any issues. Have not had any issues since and I'm at 23K miles. Go figure--but this incident still makes me a bit nervous.
Yes, that would make me nervous too. Sounds like something simple, maybe a loose battery cable, and it jiggled into a better connection during the tow. Maybe they checked tightness before or after starting it so it hasn't happened again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have to wonder how many of these drained batteries are due to leaving the key fob in proximity to the vehicle?
The vehicle is continuously in a keep alive or awake mode when ever the key fob is in range. A key fob left in the vehicle or on a wall hook within proximity keeps the can bus networks in a ready mode for commands such as remote start, remote window ops, lock unlock and push button start. Service departments collect fobs at end of day to prevent unwanted vehicle to remote communication.

Just some thoughts

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have to wonder how many of these drained batteries are due to leaving the key fob in proximity to the vehicle?
The vehicle is continuously in a keep alive or awake mode when ever the key fob is in range. A key fob left in the vehicle or on a wall hook within proximity keeps the can bus networks in a ready mode for commands such as remote start, remote window ops, lock unlock and push button start. Service departments collect fobs at end of day to prevent unwanted vehicle to remote communication.

Just some thoughts
Still shouldn't drain the battery in two days, but it could be problem for some of those complaining about batteries not lasting at least a week or two. I keep my fob further from the vehicle so maybe that's why I can go over 30 days.

·
Super Moderator
5,559 Posts
This is probably not causing the issue that some of us have had, but our 2018 Outback had battery drain and it was caused by the head unit drawing too much power while it was off. It needed a software update.

Reactions: stevem5215

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
605 Posts

Just some thoughts
There were numerous threads on the third generation miata a few years ago about this. It would take 2 to 3 days to run the battery low enough to keep the car from starting. The culprit was the FOB left in or near the car.

Reactions: Lunar Ridge
21 - 26 of 26 Posts