Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on here ever bought a new vehicle, then regretted it after driving it a few weeks?

I traded my RL for a new car and after 3 weeks, I want my RL back. The dealer still has it on the used car lot. If you've ever done this, how big of a bath did you take to get your previous vehicle back, if you got it back at all?

I know, I know. But please spare me the "I told you so" stuff. I get enough of that from the spousal unit.

Anyone? Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
5,233 Posts
You will more than likely have to pay around $3,000 more than the trade-in value of the Ridgeline. But then, you will only be getting trade-in value for the car you purchased. In the best case scenario, I would say your losses will be over $5,000.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,595 Posts
Would seem the place to start is looking at used car trade values for the for the one you have but don't want (KBB, Edmunds, NADA, etc), then retail values for the used RL you do want.

That's the starting point for anyone else wanting to do the deal, any 'break' beyond that is dealer 'good will' (if any) and the usual negotiating space.

I wouldn't expect any particular 'break' just because of new-car remorse and / or it being 'your' old RL on the used-car lot, but maybe I'm wrong (maybe if you have a history of frequent business with the dealer).

Good luck.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
178 Posts
Watched a buddy of mine go from a Subaru Outback to a Ford F-150 and hated the F-150 so he traded it on an RL RTL-E and ended upside down about 9k. His thinking process and my advice was if you aren’t happy take the wash on it now and forget about rather than keeping it and being unhappy and then losing even more money later. Owned the F-150 for about 4 months...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Life’s too long to spend very much of it unhappy/regretful. If the bath water is all disposable income, go for it. If the bath water will put a pinch on everyday financial issues, keep the new vehicle. In a few years, the Rigi may be even more ridiculously awesome.....trade up then.🤷‍♂️

Remember.......when mamas happy, everybody is happy.👍

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've been there... I just sucked on it and whipped myself everyday for about a year over it. Lesson learned for sure. (I know this doesn't make you feel any better, but that's my story and it's a sad one indeed).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Life’s too long to spend very much of it unhappy/regretful. If the bath water is all disposable income, go for it. If the bath water will put a pinch on everyday financial issues, keep the new vehicle. In a few years, the Rigi may be even more ridiculously awesome.....trade up then.🤷‍♂️

Remember.......when mamas happy, everybody is happy.👍
So true! As my dad used to say, "You never see an armored car following a hearse". Can't take it with you, so you might as well enjoy the fruits of your labor.

·
Administrator
14,626 Posts
Has anyone on here ever bought a new vehicle, then regretted it after driving it a few weeks?
So far, I've owned 30 vehicles in 30 years. The one I regret most was a new 2019 Acura RDX I bought a couple of years ago. It was a lemon and I missed the 2017 Ridgeline I traded for it. A few months later, it cost me another $5,000 to trade back for another new 2019 Ridgeline exactly like the 2017 I had. Now, it's a lemon. I plan to dump it in the next 18,000 miles before the warranty is up and leave the Honda brand because of their products and attitude. The Honda of today is not the same Honda I fell in love with. That's a shame because the Ridgeline is an extremely useful vehicle and whatever I buy next will likely require more sacrifices, but I can't keep rewarding a company who demonstrates zero desire to retain my business.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I feel the same zroger. Motorweek has been running retro marathons and last weekend an Accord and Prelude were featured. In one of them John Davis said "Like BMWs and Mercedes, Hondas are quickly becoming their own niche for some people. It's either Honda or nothing". Honda is no longer that company.

Michael, I haven't had buyers remorse that quickly. There are 300+ 2019 RLs across the country that maybe you can make a deal on and finance at 1.9 for 72 to soften the blow a bit.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
So far, I've owned 30 vehicles in 30 years. The one I regret most was a new 2019 Acura RDX I bought a couple of years ago. It was a lemon and I missed the 2017 Ridgeline I traded for it. A few months later, it cost me another $5,000 to trade back for another new 2019 Ridgeline exactly like the 2017 I had. Now, it's a lemon. I plan to dump it in the next 18,000 miles before the warranty is up and leave the Honda brand because of their vehicle and their attitude. The Honda of today is not the same Honda I fell in love with. That's a shame because the Ridgeline is an extremely useful vehicle and whatever I buy next will likely require more sacrifices, but I can't keep rewarding a declining company who demonstrates zero desire to retain my business.
Two Honda lemons in a row, going to one of Hondas best customers. What are the chances?

@zroger73, are you sure your brother isn't sabotaging your vehicles so that you can feel some of his pain? :eek:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Three weeks is a pretty short time for adjusting to change. I think it would be a good idea to consider why you got rid of your Ridgeline in the first place and reevaluate if those reasons still hold true. Would you still be pining for a used Ridgeline if yours was no longer on the lot? I hope you make the choice that is right for you and not end up doubling your regrets. It's a tough one!

I made a similar deal and I'm glad I did it because it led to my Ridgeline. I had a family medical emergency and had no choice but to quickly buy a reliable vehicle to go back and forth to the hospital 2 hours away for several months. I got a good deal on a used Chevy Traverse. It was a very nice car with lots of bells and whistles. However, within a year, expensive electrical modules started going bad. A dishonest service dept at the dealership, along with it not being a truck, really soured me on it. So I started shopping and came up with a new 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E. I know I lost a lot of money in the deal, but I added to the pot to make the payments about the same. So it only hurt once and I am extremely happy with my Ridgeline. This is probably the last vehicle I will ever buy so being happy with it is an important factor for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate everyone's input.

As of today, my Ridgeline is still on the lot and I would love to get it back. I know its quality and condition, so would feel confident buying it used. I traded it for a Subaru Ascent. Subaru makes excellent vehicles and my wife loves her '18 Outback. But I've had a truck for 45 years (with the exception of a few divorce years back in the early 80s). I know this sounds stupid, but the Subaru is just "not me." Losing a few grand will not put me in the poor house. But I agree with a couple of the comments above. Basically, be happy!

The dealer is supposed to call me today with a possible deal. Hopefully I'll be back in my Ridgeline soon.

·
Super Moderator
1,405 Posts
Have they resolved the CVT issues with the Ascent ? For a while there i was logging into the Ascent page and it was loads of failures with that CVT with no engineering fix in sight.

Steve

·
Registered
215 Posts
Like Roger, I have owner 30+ vehicles and had buyers remorse on a couple of vehicles.
One was a new 04 Chrysler Crossfire and on the way home from the dealer that ,this was the most uncomfortable car i had ever been in. I put 11k miles on it and bought a 04 corvette.
Next one was a 05 GMC Envoy and the first time i took it on the highway I found the brakes were the worst i have ever seen and it was scary to drive it and sold it to a buddy of mine at a 6k dollar loss.
I usually have 2 to 3 vehicles at a time.
I motto is , If your not happy paying for it,get rid of it. You are leaving the same way you came. Alone and broke.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I appreciate everyone's input.

As of today, my Ridgeline is still on the lot and I would love to get it back. I know its quality and condition, so would feel confident buying it used. I traded it for a Subaru Ascent. Subaru makes excellent vehicles and my wife loves her '18 Outback. But I've had a truck for 45 years (with the exception of a few divorce years back in the early 80s). I know this sounds stupid, but the Subaru is just "not me." Losing a few grand will not put me in the poor house. But I agree with a couple of the comments above. Basically, be happy!

The dealer is supposed to call me today with a possible deal. Hopefully I'll be back in my Ridgeline soon.
When looking for a replacement for our Grand Cherokee (late 2018) I looked at the Ascent, and really wanted to like it, as I have a positive opinion of Subaru. However, I just felt "blah" about it, and when committing to that much time and $ I want to be at least a little excited/happy/proud. As a test I pointed out one to my wife, and she said what she says about 90% of SUVs - "Looks too much like a van. We're done with vans.". So I know it's not helpful, but I'm with you on the appeal of the Ascent.

The finances matter - that's reality - but your situation is your business, by definition. Maybe the #s won't be as bad as we're assuming. Certainly dealers must be eager to do business.

If the deal is too painful financially, think there's any chance the Ascent will grow on you? I understand that they're very good vehicles, so there's that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Only buyers remorse I’ve had was trading my 86 Accord LXi hatch for a 1990 Voyager. We had the Accord 5speed with 90K miles and a 85 Civic automatic with 20K. Needed a larger family vehicle and figured I’d trade the high mileage car and live with commuting in the Civic. Wrong. After a year I sold the Civic and bought another Accord 5speed. As for the Voyager, let’s just say that was my one and only Chrysler product.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have they resolved the CVT issues with the Ascent ? For a while there i was logging into the Ascent page and it was loads of failures with that CVT with no engineering fix in sight.

Steve
I'm certainly no expert, but from what I've read, the issue stems from a wiring harness, not the transmission itself. But don't take my word for it.

In my short 700 mile experience, it hasn't been an issue.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts