Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
I plan to dump it in the next 18,000 miles before the warranty is up and leave the Honda brand because of their products and attitude. The Honda of today is not the same Honda I fell in love with. That's a shame because the Ridgeline is an extremely useful vehicle and whatever I buy next will likely require more sacrifices, but I can't keep rewarding a company who demonstrates zero desire to retain my business.
Very interested to see what vehicle you end up with if you still plan on owning a pickup. I did crazy amounts of due diligence before purchasing the Ridgeline. The Tacoma is highly reliable, but I didn't fit well in it...just too small. I didn't want a full size truck because they won't fit in my garage (the RL barely fits). The Frontier was too dated. That left the Ranger, GM twins, and the Ridgeline. The GM trucks are known for their many problems, and the Ranger was really cheap inside. Hard plastics everywhere and really expensive for what you get. So I landed on the Ridgeline. I'm not a "Honda Guy" and have typically been a Ford man. Figuring that Honda is known for making better vehicles than Ford I bought the Honda. But this site is scaring the crap out of me. I even bought the extended warranty and I have never purchased an extended warranty on any product I've ever owned.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
560 Posts
Very interested to see what vehicle you end up with if you still plan on owning a pickup. I did crazy amounts of due diligence before purchasing the Ridgeline. The Tacoma is highly reliable, but I didn't fit well in it...just too small. I didn't want a full size truck because they won't fit in my garage (the RL barely fits). The Frontier was too dated. That left the Ranger, GM twins, and the Ridgeline. The GM trucks are known for their many problems, and the Ranger was really cheap inside. Hard plastics everywhere and really expensive for what you get. So I landed on the Ridgeline. I'm not a "Honda Guy" and have typically been a Ford man. Figuring that Honda is known for making better vehicles than Ford I bought the Honda. But this site is scaring the crap out of me. I even bought the extended warranty and I have never purchased an extended warranty on any product I've ever owned.
I’ve only bought one extended warranty but it paid off on that vehicle. Covered repairs would have cost double what the extended warranty cost. If I keep this Ridgeline past the warranty period, I will definitely be buying one for it.

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
Very interested to see what vehicle you end up with if you still plan on owning a pickup.
I would guess that @zroger73 will migrate to an SUV, either Mazda or Kia/Hyundai.

If he does stay with pickup trucks, he will be forced to downgrade to a Silverado 1500. If he is lucky, the Santa Cruz may be pushed out before he drops the G2.

Or he gets a smoking deal on a 2020 G2, or a NOS 2014 G1 SE...
😷

·
Registered
399 Posts
I am a Honda guy but our process of narrowing down to the RL was pretty similar, although my problem with the Taco was the engine/transmission and on the Frontier it was the rear seat room not with its age (I owned 2006 and 2007 Frontiers and liked them at the time)

Unfortunately(?) I'm finding that my issues with the RL are relatively minor compared to problems reported on other truck forums. I'm too close to paying it off to ditch like zroger - my current plan is to ride this sucker out as long as I can and get a fun daily driver.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My Ridgeline (that I'm trying to get back) had absolutely no issues in the year I had it. Well, except for a flat tire and a cracked windshield from a freeway rock. But I can't blame Honda for those problems.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
5 Posts
Once upon a time, I bought a 2000 Stratus, while I was still overseas. First car I legitimately paid off. It was a good family car and suited our needs, but when we all moved back stateside, to the PNW, the urge to go up into the mountains became too much for it, so we sold it to our in-laws (who drove it for years until it finally died on them to the point it wasn't worth it to fix.) I upgraded to a 2008 Element. Loved that little fugly guy. Everyone hated it until they drove it in, and saw what they could do with it. Again, paid off and couldn't ever think of a reason to upgrade until the G2 Ridgelines came out. I liked the G1, but the styling was a little off putting for me, and I really didn't need a truck. But by the time the G2's came out, a truck would be quite useful. I wasn't making much at my current position, so we made a deal if I could scrap up to $X/yr, then I could get the truck. It took a few years, but this year I was sitting in the sweet spot, and we jumped on it in late Feb, sold the Element, and picked up the Ridgeline in March. Just a few weeks before COVID shut everything down, and I found myself permanently working from home. I drove it to work one day, just to pack up all my gear to bring back home. I got a good deal on it, prior to everything hitting the fan, but less than a month later, same model was $5k cheaper than what I paid for it.

I look at it in two ways -
1. I wish I waited. Maybe picked up the truck now, saved that 5k. Maybe waited a few more months, maybe saved more.
2. If I waited, who knows what would have happened. Maybe I lost my job, and financially it wouldn't have made sense to buy the truck. Maybe I would never get to the sweet spot again in the next few years. But I would have had my trusty Element.

In the end, no matter what happens...I loved the Element, but I upgraded to the RL for a reason. I love the RL, even though I've only put 460mi on it in the last two months, and it's cheaper than when I bought it. When things loosen up, and I get to use it how I envisioned it, everything will feel better again. It'll work out, and I know when it's over a decade old, I'll still dig it enough that an 'upgrade' is going to be a tough sell. I had hoped that maybe this would be the last ICE vehicle I buy. Go out with a bang. haha.

In the end, for you, your decision is what you make of it. For better or worse.

·
Administrator
14,919 Posts
I would guess that @zroger73 will migrate to an SUV, either Mazda or Kia/Hyundai.

If he does stay with pickup trucks, he will be forced to downgrade to a Silverado 1500. If he is lucky, the Santa Cruz may be pushed out before he drops the G2.

Or he gets a smoking deal on a 2020 G2, or a NOS 2014 G1 SE...
😷
The most likely candidate at the present moment is a Mazda CX-5 Signature. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Kia/Hyundai to someone else, but I'm not quite ready to put one in my own garage. Mazda is one of the most reliable brands right now. Like most of their models, the CX-5 is built in Japan. The Miata I bought last year was my first Mazda and I've been very impressed with it. The fit and finish and build quality are excellent. Even after 7 months, it has zero squeaks or rattles and it's a convertible.

The Ridgeline is the only truck that interests me, so if it's not a Ridgeline then it'll be an SUV. The only SUV contenders would be a CR-V or CX-5. Even if I were interested in another Honda, the CR-V is a bit low on power and isn't quite upscale enough. The CX-5's interior compares nicely with some near-luxury models.

I've left the Ridgeline a few times before for something else and always came back to one, but that was before the quality started unraveling. I'm trying not to make any knee-jerk reactions, but I'm at my wit's end with Honda.

The only way I'd trade for another Ridgeline right now is if Honda paid for half the difference. They refused to do that before they stopped returning my calls.

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
470 Posts
So far, I've owned 30 vehicles in 30 years. The one I regret most was a new 2019 Acura RDX I bought a couple of years ago. It was a lemon and I missed the 2017 Ridgeline I traded for it. A few months later, it cost me another $5,000 to trade back for another new 2019 Ridgeline exactly like the 2017 I had. Now, it's a lemon. I plan to dump it in the next 18,000 miles before the warranty is up and leave the Honda brand because of their products and attitude. The Honda of today is not the same Honda I fell in love with. That's a shame because the Ridgeline is an extremely useful vehicle and whatever I buy next will likely require more sacrifices, but I can't keep rewarding a company who demonstrates zero desire to retain my business.
Honda, Ford, Chevy, Subaru, Chrysler, Hyundai, Mercedes, Toyota. These are the manufacturers that in the past couple of years my family and friends have vowed to "never buy their product again". It really sucks that it comes down to that, but after my personal dealings with Chrysler and a lemon Dakota, i completely understand. In reality, there is not one auto manufacturer right now who truly cares about their customers. As for dealerships, it's all about the bottom line $$$.

Problems areas that have led my family and friends to their breaking points: Transmission, engine, valve train, HVAC, Infotainment systems, and driver assist systems. In my opinion, manufacturers are rushing to deliver products and there's not enough product testing. The result is frustrated customers who bring their vehicles back to a dealer for warranty repairs...unaware that a dealer is focused on keeping their warranty costs down so that the manufacturer will issue them bonuses...It's a game. All manufacturers are having issues with their products. Leaving one for another may not be a solution.

·
Registered
68 Posts
They might have done something super accommodating, but of course, they'd usually only do that if it involved someone who already has media attention: someone with YouTube subscribers who lost their house, someone who was put on a petition who happened to get lots of signatures, a well known icon fighting cancer, etc...but for us normal forum dwellers it isn't worth it to them, since they'd not get an ounce of payback in good press. Even for folks who might genuinely deserve recompense for the trouble Honda's products caused them.

C'est la vie...

·
Registered
167 Posts
The most likely candidate at the present moment is a Mazda CX-5 Signature. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Kia/Hyundai to someone else, but I'm not quite ready to put one in my own garage. Mazda is one of the most reliable brands right now. Like most of their models, the CX-5 is built in Japan.
That's funny because we will be replacing our Escape when we hand it down to our daughter and I have been looking at the CX-5. I've owned a Miata, 626, RX-7, and a Millenia. All were great cars. The RX-7 eventually suffered the apex seal failures so I sold it, but it was a known issue.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The only way I'd trade for another Ridgeline right now is if Honda paid for half the difference. They refused to do that before they stopped returning my calls.
May not be halfway but you can get $1K off a new truck right now. You can probably get into a new RTL-E for $37.5K with the incentive. CX5 is nice but different class of vehicle and not as versatile as the RL. If you go to a CX5 you know you’ll be coming back to a RL. Or you can get those roof seams sealed, get that motor mount fixed and your truck will be good for 200K miles.

·
Administrator
14,919 Posts
May not be halfway but you can get $1K off a new truck right now. You can probably get into a new RTL-E for $37.5K with the incentive. CX5 is nice but different class of vehicle and not as versatile as the RL. If you go to a CX5 you know you’ll be coming back to a RL. Or you can get those roof seams sealed, get that motor mount fixed and your truck will be good for 200K miles.
A cash incentive that applies to everyone would not keep me in a Honda - it would need to be additional, case-specific compensation.

I've never needed a truck - it's just convenient to have on the odd occasion I haul something that won't fit in an SUV. I never tow and I haven't transported anything that wouldn't fit in an SUV in about a year. However, when I did I hauled home three motorcycles and lumber with a few-month period. I have access to three trucks from two family members, but that would mean waiting on them and I'm not a patient person once I make a decision.

Even if this Ridgeline's problems were fixed, I don't want it. It's been worked on too many times. I don't like it when things are taken apart and put back together.

Achieving 200K miles is irrelevant in my case - I change vehicles every year on average (sometimes in as little as 90 days) and I detest service departments, so short-term reliability and strong resale value are very important to me.

I don't own vehicles past the warranty period, but during that time I expect to be happy with them. If I get a lemon, I expect to be compensated for the dissatisfaction, inconvenience, frustration, loss of use, and embarrassment. This 2019 Ridgeline will be gone in less than 18 months, anyway, before the warranty is up, but I can't justify buying another product from the same company. Following my recent experiences, I no longer trust the vehicles and had the door slammed in my face by the company that makes them.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
@zroger73, at least the Miata will qualify you for a $1500 loyalty rebate plus $1500 on all CX-5's, not bad. Probably another 1500 or soin it after that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
@zroger73 We have different perspectives. I choose Hondas for long term reliability. The only Honda I’ve sold with less than 100K miles was due to needing a different class vehicle and I later regretted selling that car. Honda’s traditionally more conservative designs wear well with age. The only initial quality problem I have had in 6 new Honda’s was a minor HVAC problem on a 2002 Accord. That car is still in the family today with 250K miles on the clock with the original transmission. The leather seats are shot but it doesn’t use any oil. It has only needed a new alternator as a major repair.
With my recent RL purchase and 2019 Pilot purchased 18 mos ago, I’m pretty deep into this Alabama plant built platform. So far so good....but it’s early.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I bought a Renault Turbo Fuego. It broke down on the way home from the dealer and every 50 miles after that. I was on a first name basis with every flatbed tow truck driver on the east coast. Traded it in on a Z28 Camaro after 9 months. Lost thousands of dollars and never looked back. Even my wife thought it was worth it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had a friend when i was in the military and he had one and i remember he had to get a good running start to get up the hills in South Dakota. Had a 3 cylinder motor. I felt sorry for him.LOL

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The most likely candidate at the present moment is a Mazda CX-5 Signature. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Kia/Hyundai to someone else, but I'm not quite ready to put one in my own garage. Mazda is one of the most reliable brands right now. Like most of their models, the CX-5 is built in Japan. The Miata I bought last year was my first Mazda and I've been very impressed with it. The fit and finish and build quality are excellent. Even after 7 months, it has zero squeaks or rattles and it's a convertible.
Could get convertible Gladiator truck!

If my wife’s fun 11 year old convertible ever becomes decrepit (hope not: love it) I’d want to check out the Miata - has a great reputation as a fun, reliable sports car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
A cash incentive that applies to everyone would not keep me in a Honda - it would need to be additional, case-specific compensation.

I've never needed a truck - it's just convenient to have on the odd occasion I haul something that won't fit in an SUV. I never tow and I haven't transported anything that wouldn't fit in an SUV in about a year. However, when I did I hauled home three motorcycles and lumber with a few-month period. I have access to three trucks from two family members, but that would mean waiting on them and I'm not a patient person once I make a decision.

Even if this Ridgeline's problems were fixed, I don't want it. It's been worked on too many times. I don't like it when things are taken apart and put back together.

Achieving 200K miles is irrelevant in my case - I change vehicles every year on average (sometimes in as little as 90 days) and I detest service departments, so short-term reliability and strong resale value are very important to me.

I don't own vehicles past the warranty period, but during that time I expect to be happy with them. If I get a lemon, I expect to be compensated for the dissatisfaction, inconvenience, frustration, loss of use, and embarrassment. This 2019 Ridgeline will be gone in less than 18 months, anyway, before the warranty is up, but I can't justify buying another product from the same company. Following my recent experiences, I no longer trust the vehicles and had the door slammed in my face by the company that makes them.
zroger,

As a new owner your posts really stir up some concern in my purchase.

This is my first Honda. ( I did buy a civic for my mom in 2003)

What has gone wrong with your RL?

If you have posted this in a different thread my apologies and just point me in that direction.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts