Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,378 Posts
Have they resolved the CVT issues with the Ascent ? For a while there i was logging into the Ascent page and it was loads of failures with that CVT with no engineering fix in sight.

Steve
I frequent the Ascent forum, because I was interested in purchasing one. They are still having issues with the CVT, but not nearly as many. We were at the Subaru dealer on Saturday, because my DIL was purchasing a used Forester, and we saw three vehicles bought and paid for in the showroom - all three were Ascents.

If one is buying the Ascent for the 3rd row, then I would absolutely be looking at the Kia Telluride. I was surprised that it has more 3rd row leg room than a Tahoe. Much more room in the second and third row. The lengthy warranty on the Kia would be an added benefit.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Administrator
14,985 Posts
If one is buying the Ascent for the 3rd row, then I would absolutely be looking at the Kia Telluride. I was surprised that it has more 3rd row leg room than a Tahoe. Much more room in the second and third row. The lengthy warranty on the Kia would be an added benefit.
Agreed - the Telluride would be very high on my list for a three-row SUV.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I ditched my Rogue with CVT. I hated the CVT. looked like a time bomb
I did the same. CVTs suck! If you remove all the CVT equipped CUVs from your search, you aren't left with many. The CX-5 is one of the last remaining "tried and true" 6 speed torque converted transmissions with a NA engine. You don't buy a CUV to win drag races. Just give me reliable and cheap to maintain.

·
Administrator
14,985 Posts
I did the same. CVTs suck! If you remove all the CVT equipped CUVs from your search, you aren't left with many. The CX-5 is one of the last remaining "tried and true" 6 speed torque converted transmissions with a NA engine. You don't buy a CUV to win drag races. Just give me reliable and cheap to maintain.
Mazda's 6-speed automatic is unique in that it uses a tiny little torque converter that its used primarily to get the vehicle moving. Once underway, it locks up an "oversized" (multi-plate vs. single-plate) torque converter for more direct feel and better efficiency. The CX-5 with the 2.5T is the fastest in its class except for the Ford Escape 2.0T.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,153 Posts
Mazda's 6-speed automatic is unique in that it uses a tiny little torque converter that its used primarily to get the vehicle moving. Once underway, it locks up an "oversized" (multi-plate vs. single-plate) torque converter for more direct feel and better efficiency. The CX-5 with the 2.5T is the fastest in its class except for the Ford Escape 2.0T.
Mazda's 2.5T is designed for broad torque rather than being the drag race king.

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
The new 2.0 Turbo in the Cadillac XT4 is like that as well. A low RPM motor that's very quiet in that low power band and then when revved up less delivery and more noise in the interior. I personally like that XT4 a lot and I'd get one of those in the future. (used of course) They are turning out to be pretty good vehicles considering it's a GM.

Steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
Has anyone on here ever bought a new vehicle, then regretted it after driving it a few weeks?

I traded my RL for a new car and after 3 weeks, I want my RL back. The dealer still has it on the used car lot. If you've ever done this, how big of a bath did you take to get your previous vehicle back, if you got it back at all?

I know, I know. But please spare me the "I told you so" stuff. I get enough of that from the spousal unit.

Anyone? Anyone?
It's a "lick on you!"

·
Registered
34 Posts
Has anyone on here ever bought a new vehicle, then regretted it after driving it a few weeks?

I traded my RL for a new car and after 3 weeks, I want my RL back. The dealer still has it on the used car lot. If you've ever done this, how big of a bath did you take to get your previous vehicle back, if you got it back at all?

I know, I know. But please spare me the "I told you so" stuff. I get enough of that from the spousal unit.

Anyone? Anyone?
One way of looking at it is, you know the history of your vehicle. You know how you drove it and you know how you maintained it. So I can’t think of a better used vehicle to buy then the one you know everything about. Having said that. Do you hate the new car that much that you’re willing to pay a few thousand dollars to get the old one back? I just recently bought my 2011 RTL and I don’t plan to ever get rid of it. It’s an awesome mix of just about every vehicle you could want.
Right now the dealerships are very slow, so it’s a good time to make a deal.
but in the end I would make sure your wife is ok with it. Peace in the family is worth more than any car.

·
Registered
2019 RTL
8 Posts
Buy it back. You only live once and live happy get your old Ridgeline. Life is too short to be sad. Tomorrow is not guaranteed; money comes and goes in our lifetime.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would be honest with the dealer and express your regrets. He/she may try to work something out with you to keep a satisfied customer.

Anyone? Anyone?

·
Registered
4 Posts

Anyone? Anyone?
That's funny... I bought a used '09 Ridgeline 8 or 9 years ago. I still own and drive it. I wish I'd kept my Toyota Tacoma.😃

·
Registered
2 Posts

Anyone? Anyone?
You will likely suffer a big loss on this one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
there is no big hurry, your financial consequences will not change much in a few more weeks or months.. so take your time and see if you adapt more to Ridgeline

·
Registered
16 Posts
I appreciate everyone's input.

As of today, my Ridgeline is still on the lot and I would love to get it back. I know its quality and condition, so would feel confident buying it used. I traded it for a Subaru Ascent. Subaru makes excellent vehicles and my wife loves her '18 Outback. But I've had a truck for 45 years (with the exception of a few divorce years back in the early 80s). I know this sounds stupid, but the Subaru is just "not me." Losing a few grand will not put me in the poor house. But I agree with a couple of the comments above. Basically, be happy!

The dealer is supposed to call me today with a possible deal. Hopefully I'll be back in my Ridgeline soon.
I hoped maybe the Subaru dealer would take pity and they can resell it easily for almost full price like the do the loaners.. difference is that you registered it but.. still.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ... I knew it was too big for me... I had a 2009 and it fit me. I am a 5'4" woman.. I knew not to buy it but I already promised a friend my 2009. Well I hated it and finally after about 2.5 years I traded it for my RTL-E.. I lost money on the deal but love my Ridgeline. Worth it

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I bought my 17 I couldn't get the package with the moon roof and sliding rear window etc. so I settled for an RTL-T. As it turned out I would have had to wait pretty much a year for what I wanted. The sales manager is an old freind and he had to call me when they finally got one and razz me about trading. I just stuck with what I have and mine now has 27K on it and been trouble free and a couple miles a gallon+ better than my 12 and faster as well. I still prefer the Gen 1 styling... I told my dealer I could be pursuaded to trade but it would have to be the right deal and either be the burgandy or dark blue with a black interior... which Honda in their infinite wisdom only offer in tan or grey. Not great colors for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I must say this will be cathartic for me, back in 2014 I totaled a Mazda 2 and so the insurance company gave me a check for a fair amount of money, so my quest to buy something similar began, for some reason I ditched a nice Mazda 3 sedan and went with a Prius C, it wasn't even the entry one, it was the THREE if I remember correctly I financed it for 5 years but payed it on 2 year exactly. What it actually happen was, the car was superb on fuel economy, but that e-CVT man... that was so boring, I know you don't need a fast or engaging car for bumper to bumper traffic but man that car really make me sad. Ended up selling it on 2019 when I already had my RL for 2 years, I barely touched the Prius after buying the RL so no need to have a car I never enjoyed on the first place sitting depreciating.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts