Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I may take a little bit of abuse here, lol. But no. I just traded in my 2018 RL and I must say loved it since new and it treated me well. I wanted a full size again, and amidst this current craziness realized life was to short so i bought what i really wanted. 2020 Silverado RST, Z71 with the 6.2L! Entirely different vehicle. I do miss the bed trunk but love the size of the crew cab. So my recommendation, do what you can afford and makes you happy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone on here ever bought a new vehicle, then regretted it after driving it a few weeks?

I traded my RL for a new car and after 3 weeks, I want my RL back. The dealer still has it on the used car lot. If you've ever done this, how big of a bath did you take to get your previous vehicle back, if you got it back at all?

I know, I know. But please spare me the "I told you so" stuff. I get enough of that from the spousal unit.

Anyone? Anyone?
Yep, twice. Most recent: Always wanted an Audi Q3 Quattro. Paid cash for a loaded 2018 Sport. Drove it twice. Noisy (awful road noise -aaaargh!) and cramped! Parked it in the garage. Sold it privately 10 months later with just over 1k miles. Beat up $$ but not too bad. Back to a Ridgeline on my wife's suggestion, but not a new one. We both like the interior and ride better on the first generation. Launched a nation-wide search for the lowest mileage 2014 RTL. Found a black SE (special edition with badge) in Muskegon MI with 28k. A beauty. The first "black edition"? Had it shipped out west and we are now the proud owner of a low-mileage (112k) silver 2007 RTL and the 2014 black SE (now 32k). No more Quattro dreams!

·
Administrator
14,929 Posts
I may take a little bit of abuse here, lol. But no. I just traded in my 2018 RL and I must say loved it since new and it treated me well. I wanted a full size again, and amidst this current craziness realized life was to short so i bought what i really wanted. 2020 Silverado RST, Z71 with the 6.2L! Entirely different vehicle. I do miss the bed trunk but love the size of the crew cab. So my recommendation, do what you can afford and makes you happy. View attachment 402378
That's a good looking beast. My brother wants to trade his Colorado for a Silverado for some reason even though he doesn't use anywhere near the Colorado's capability. The Silverado also won't fit in his garage, but he loves the way it looks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I worked in quality management for a medium size company for years and I took the time to read reviews on our products. It didn't take long before I realized that the people who have problems voice their complaints. People who like their products rarely take the time and effort to say so in reviews. There is no balance. To be completely honest, from my experience, forums like this one can cause others anxiety just reading others complaints that they will never experience.

I allowed this to happen with me on 2018 Honda CRV. I read all of these complaints about fuel mixing with the oil due to the direct fuel injection system. I almost traded the vehicle from all of the terrible comments in their forum. It has been 2-years and we never experienced any problem. They recalled it and made a program change and that was it. I watch the oil level and it stays perfect. I got a sour taste in my mouth about this problem that has never materialized. My wife loves that care! All is good and mama is happy. Lesson learned: don't believe all you read and remember you are not getting a balance.

There will be things with every vehicle that we don't like. Nothing is perfect! You calculate the reliability of a machine by multiplying each components reliability times each other. The more components in a machine, the less reliable the machine will be. Example if you have only six total parts in a vehicle (crazy right) and each component is between 98% to 99% reliable on its own. We multiply all of the components individual reliability together to get the vehicles total reliability: 99.8% x 98.7% x 99.9% x 99.4% x 99.6% x 99,0% = 96.4% reliable. The more complicated vehicles get, the less reliable they will be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone on here ever bought a new vehicle, then regretted it after driving it a few weeks?

I traded my RL for a new car and after 3 weeks, I want my RL back. The dealer still has it on the used car lot. If you've ever done this, how big of a bath did you take to get your previous vehicle back, if you got it back at all?

I know, I know. But please spare me the "I told you so" stuff. I get enough of that from the spousal unit.

Anyone? Anyone?
My only regret, I purchased a 2019 on December 27 as I was scared of the transmission upgrade on the 2020, with all the new features wish I would’ve waited for additional feedback and made the purchase.

I’m now looking at a $7000 bath to upgrade and have only put 3000 miles on my current truck or maybe I’ll wait and purchase 2021

·
Registered
68 Posts
May as well wait on a '21 if you're happy with your current truck, unless you absolutely need the ZF9 and paddle shifters not much has changed. For us guinea pigs who do have the '20s, we'll get all the kinks found and worked out of the transmission for the '21 to benefit, if there are any issues. Of course, if you bought a trim level you didn't want then that's a different story and one that comes down to personal preference. Some folks think they want a moon roof and then find they're happy not worrying if their roof will leak. Lol

·
Registered
2017 RTL
3 Posts

Anyone? Anyone?
YES, YES and YES. I traded my beloved 01 Acura with 187,000 miles for a new Subaru. I thought it must be on its last leg although really nothing was wrong. OMG, I wanted my Acura back very soon. Now the Subaru is thankfully gone but so is my Acura. What was I thinking>

·
Registered
167 Posts
I worked in quality management for a medium size company for years and I took the time to read reviews on our products. It didn't take long before I realized that the people who have problems voice their complaints. People who like their products rarely take the time and effort to say so in reviews. There is no balance. To be completely honest, from my experience, forums like this one can cause others anxiety just reading others complaints that they will never experience.

I allowed this to happen with me on 2018 Honda CRV. I read all of these complaints about fuel mixing with the oil due to the direct fuel injection system. I almost traded the vehicle from all of the terrible comments in their forum. It has been 2-years and we never experienced any problem. They recalled it and made a program change and that was it. I watch the oil level and it stays perfect. I got a sour taste in my mouth about this problem that has never materialized. My wife loves that care! All is good and mama is happy. Lesson learned: don't believe all you read and remember you are not getting a balance.

There will be things with every vehicle that we don't like. Nothing is perfect! You calculate the reliability of a machine by multiplying each components reliability times each other. The more components in a machine, the less reliable the machine will be. Example if you have only six total parts in a vehicle (crazy right) and each component is between 98% to 99% reliable on its own. We multiply all of the components individual reliability together to get the vehicles total reliability: 99.8% x 98.7% x 99.9% x 99.4% x 99.6% x 99,0% = 96.4% reliable. The more complicated vehicles get, the less reliable they will be.
Great post!

You are spot on. Most product owners don't even frequent forums such as this, we are a small group of enthusiasts.

This site has soured my opinion of Honda for sure. Usually there are an equal number of fanboys as their are haters. Here, there just seem to be people who love the design and features of the vehicles, but constantly complain about quality (or lack thereof). It spurred me to purchase an extended warranty...the first one I've ever bought on a new vehicle....ever.

I do most of my own work on my vehicles mostly because I don't trust others to do the work, so even if I have a vehicle that as a problem that would be covered under warranty, I often fix it myself unless it's cost prohibitive. For example, I had a throttle position sensor go out on my Ford Escape. It is a $20 part and it took me 15 minutes to swap it out. No reason to go through the headache of going to the dealer for warranty work. I've had vehicles that had windows that leaked due to a bad seal which I replaced. I've had cars that had rattles that I used weatherstripping to fix. I typically just fix whatever breaks and go on with life. The only thing I can't fix is an engine and transmission. If they are shoddy, then I'm up a creek.

I am a car nut, but I'm also a realist and as the above referenced post mentioned, the more parts the more problems. That's why I bought a Sport. I HATE sunroofs, I don't care for leather, I have no need for a sliding rear window, I have no need for an in bed outlet (I own and inverter and an extension cord), I have no use for in bed audio, and I absolutely positively HATE safety nannies. I would have bought the base model if I could have gotten AWD (and if I could have found one). I used to be all about the bells and whistles, now that crap just gives me anxiety about what's going to break and how much will it cost me to fix. I'm terrified of vehicles that have big screens for the gauges and climate control. What happens when that screen craps out (and it will!)? How much will that cost?

It seems like car manufacturers are simply leaning more and more toward planned obsolesce and it sucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Anyone? Anyone?
I almost had the same experience but saved myself. I was test driving a new Telluride, was going to snap it up, but just felt uneasy. I really wanted something new and get over the reliability worries. I didnt buy and so I slept on it. A few days later I drove my 2008 RTS about 600 miles for work and my love was renewed! It is better driving, quieter, more pep and best of all, none of that idle shut-off crap! I have 155k miles on my RTS, I am keeping it! My best advice, rent the new car/truck you like for a week, even if from Turo. Once your done cheating on your RL, you can go back to her! If you love her, go get her and bite the bullet. Its only money.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Anyone? Anyone?
This is exactly why I'm still driving a '09 RTS. Best vehicle I've ever owned and worry the next won't be up to snuff.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Forums can be a lot like the nightly news............watch to much news and you might think the world is ending. Couple for problems with vehicle is not a virus that’s contagious. If there’s 5 transmissions in 100,000 vehicles or 50 in 1000,000........the actual chance it’s yours is small.

Wife has 2017 CRV.........had slight dilution in very cold weather. They changed the oil for free while the kit ( fiix) was be developed. I would definitely by another turbo CRV. The only other issue ....I changed the tires early at 22k to Michelin due to road noise.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Anyone? Anyone?
I'm driving my 2014 SE that now has 120k miles on it and it STILL runs & drives like new. I would rather put in a new Crate Engine than buy a new one :)

·
Registered
18 Posts

Anyone? Anyone?
I did this about five years ago. My wife hated the new car and basically said she would not use or ride in the new car because the seats were so hard. It was a Honda sedan. So I took a 10K bath on that desk when I bought another replacement she loved. Thankfully it was not my Ridgeline which I still have a 2006 RTL with 98K on the clock. Still love that truck.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Anyone? Anyone?
Once you drive it off the lot, the buyer's remorse coverage is gone...
When you buy a car with problems or that you want upgraded, the dealer has you drive the car around the block before driving into the repair area to keep you from backing out of the deal during the fix time...
That said... Try and find a 1st Gen, they are obviously better than the 2nd Gen if you read this site much...

·
Registered
35 Posts

Anyone? Anyone?
Yes, I had a 2014 RL Sport that was the "love of my life". I regret buying a 2019 RTL. It just doesn't have the class of my 2014. Maybe a roof rack and hood deflector will butch it up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You will more than likely have to pay around $3,000 more than the trade-in value of the Ridgeline. But then, you will only be getting trade-in value for the car you purchased. In the best case scenario, I would say your losses will be over $5,000.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's a good looking beast. My brother wants to trade his Colorado for a Silverado for some reason even though he doesn't use anywhere near the Colorado's capability. The Silverado also won't fit in his garage, but he loves the way it looks.
Thanks! Honestly love the truck. The 6.2L with the 10 speed is pretty awesome. I don't tow much either, so didn't 'need it'. I wanted it. Fits in the garage by 3 inches, lol... but it fits

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
13 Posts

Anyone? Anyone?
Depends on your dealer and if they want a happy customer. A good dealer would only harm you on the new car. Has it been titled, registered, ect. You now own a new, used car. If you can use both I would suggest just trying to buy back your RL. But if not and can afford, happiness is big and life is short. Pay - lesson learned. FYI, NEVER TRADE A RIDGELINE OFF!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Yeah, it was an expensive ordeal. Once the Subaru got registered, it was mine. The dealer didn't really screw me, they lowered their asking price on the RL, but got me on the trade. But I'm happy to get my Ridgeline back. I would not have done it on someone else's used car, but like someone earlier said, I am familiar with my own trade-in. I talked to the wife about trading her Outback to get my truck back, but no dice (her Outback has that slick 3.6l that they don't make any more). As I look back, the smart thing to do would have been to drive the Sube for a few months, then trade it on a 2020 RL. But it just didn't fit me, physically or lifestyle-wise. Ended up costing about $5k, but, it's sorta worth it to be satisfied.

Expensive lesson learned.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts