Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good afternoon guys. I wanted to share my latest mod which allows full access to my truck via a phone app that can lock and unlock the vehicle; remote start the vehicle; and provide full Glass Break, Shock and Tilt security to your truck. It also shows you the status of your vehicles battery, your GPS location to within 3 feet; real-time status of whether your factory OEM alarm is armed/disarmed; are there any doors or the hood open; and what is the temperature of the inside of your vehicle.

The parts list is the following:

1. Firstech DC3 control module - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079NGGNYG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2. Firstech iDatastart custom wiring harness - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/idatal...-acura-vehicles-black/6295349.p?skuId=6295349
3. Firstech Drone - Firstech Drone X1-MAX-LTE

Total cost is $280.00

You can select your Drone subscription to meet your personal needs - DroneMobile | Smartphone Remote Start, Security, and GPS Tracking ; Plans & Subscriptions | Starting at $3.99/month | DroneMobile

Super easy to install...all plug-n-play without any cutting or splicing. You simple remove the right side dash end piece (just snaps off with a few clips); then remove the right section of the dash trim that extends from the door to the center console (all clips that are easy to detach). Next step is to remove 4 screw and 2 bolts that hold the entire glovebox assembly in place (took less than 5 minutes to get this out of the truck). This will expose the PCU that's above the glovebox where the DC3 module is connected. The PCU is held onto the bracket with a clip. Push in the clip and the PCU slides off the bracket giving easy access to the wiring harnesses.

Before installing the DC3 module, download their software and connect your module to your computer so it can be flashed with the vehicle specific data for your truck (took about 5 minutes).

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY before removing the harnesses from the PCU. Using the iDatastart T-Harness, unplug the PCU cables (2) and connect to the DC3 and use the harness connectors to plug back into the PCU. Connect the DRONE supplied harness to your DC3 module and that's it! Reconnect the battery and program your unit for your RL. It is compatible with all RL's 2014-2022 with push button start.

Here are a few pics:

Automotive parking light Hood Product Automotive lighting Vehicle

Glovebox removed with the iDatastart module hanging freely -

Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Trunk Automotive exterior

Pic of the PCU on its bracket above the glovebox with plenty of room behind to hide the T-Harness -

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wheel

Pic of where I mounted my DRONE module that supports the LTE cellular connection, GPS, and Shock/Glass Break and Tilt/Tow protection -

Automotive design Blue Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

iDatastart module 3M taped and wire tied to a module located immediately to the left of the PCU above the glovebox. Perfect place and all of the wiring tucks in nicely behind the two modules -

Automotive tire Gas Automotive design Machine Bumper

Wiring all buttoned up and ready to reinstall the glovebox -

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Gas

DRONE App Main Screen Shots in multiple pics (I removed the address data, but it will show you the physical address of your vehicle -

Font Screenshot Technology Gadget Electronic device

Font Screenshot Electronic device Multimedia Circle

Grey Font Screenshot Electronic device Multimedia

Astronomical object Font Symbol Circle Pattern

I think this is the best electronic mod I've done to date and, IMPO, it is an economical way to have full access to your truck via an app on your phone. Many of you may not find value based on how you use your vehicle or are willing to pay a fee for an app. However, if you travel for work (as I do), or let your spouse/kids drive your truck, it can share a ton of data and also provide you speed alerts and do geofencing as well and provide an alert if the truck leaves a certain geography.

I am happy to answer any questions and I hope you enjoyed reading this thread!

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Whether one likes it or not - super post Bro. Very informative with good shots to explain it.
And I for one appreciate having a smart EE on board here.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whether one likes it or not - super post Bro. Very informative with good shots to explain it.
And I for one appreciate having a smart EE on board here.
Thanks
Thanks Jim...I really appreciate the kind comments. But, I can assure you that not all members feel the way you do :)

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Come install it for me.
Hey bud...come on down to Jacksonville and I will be happy to install it for you at no charge ;) You aren't that far.

Reactions: Pex15 and Jimaa66

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the writeup. For those that don't have remote start already, this thing is extra nice... already a lot of perks right out of the box. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on this.
Happy to answer any questions you may have with programming and install if you have them. Even if you already do have remote start, it's super nice being able to start the truck from inside my house versus getting close enough to use the key fob. If you do pull the trigger, do NOT self-activate the Drone!!! Let Crutchfield do the activation as it will save you a ton of headaches. Let us know what you decide to do :)

Reactions: one9kilo

·
Registered
163 Posts
Can you set how long the remote start runs for? In the winter I have to start my RL twice to at least get it semi warm, was looking at a better solution that I can have it remote started for at least 20 min at a time.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you set how long the remote start runs for? In the winter I have to start my RL twice to at least get it semi warm, was looking at a better solution that I can have it remote started for at least 20 min at a time.
You can when you flash the module. The default is 15, but you can make it less or more.

Reactions: Jimaa66

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had a Drone mobile remote start in a previous work vehicle. It worked very well and the new software is even better. Only drawback is, like many apps, it's a subscription model. It's reasonably priced but that dissuades a lot of folks.

·
Registered
22 Sports. Jsport lift kit front and rear installed by Jsport, HPD grill
23 Posts
I just got my 2022 ridgeline sports and I’m really curious about the drone module. Can I install it by itself and have the capability of remote start, lock/unlock using the app without the idatastart? Thank you so much andI appreciate your input

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got my 2022 ridgeline sports and I’m really curious about the drone module. Can I install it by itself and have the capability of remote start, lock/unlock using the app without the idatastart? Thank you so much andI appreciate your input
The entire system is super easy to install. You must use the app with the DRONE as that is the way the DRONE and the app connect with the iDatastart module to provide control. The iDatastart is the interface to the vehicle itself to control lock/unlock, remote start, etc. The DRONE is the cellular interface to the iDatastart to provide remote control from anywhere in the world. The monthly fee of the app is cheap, IMPO, and the value and capabilities of this setup is worth the cost. I just bought a 3-year plan that cost me $7.20/month...peanuts that anyone on this forum could easily afford (if you see the value in what this set-up does and need/want these capabilities).

Happy to answer any additional questions if you want to PM me.

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE in Southern Florida
1,812 Posts
As SG said, the default is 15 minutes, the selectable intervals are 5 minutes at a time up to 30 minutes. Unlike the OEM, you cannot double the time with the remote (10 mins one time, 20 mins second sequence).

Very easy to install, as @securityguy said. Just did mine today. Only thing I struggled with was what cable went where, and that was my own fault for trying to figure it out at 0200 while SG was asleep. Yeah, I got it figured out using the diagrams and the internet, but it would only have taken 30 seconds had I waited and called him. Now there are TWO of us here who know how to set it up!!

Reactions: one9kilo

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nice job. I've been using the Fortin Evo One with Linkr LT2 for about a year a reminder now. Like you it was an easy install.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The entire system is super easy to install. You must use the app with the DRONE as that is the way the DRONE and the app connect with the iDatastart module to provide control. The iDatastart is the interface to the vehicle itself to control lock/unlock, remote start, etc. The DRONE is the cellular interface to the iDatastart to provide remote control from anywhere in the world. The monthly fee of the app is cheap, IMPO, and the value and capabilities of this setup is worth the cost. I just bought a 3-year plan that cost me $7.20/month...peanuts that anyone on this forum could easily afford (if you see the value in what this set-up does and need/want these capabilities).

Happy to answer any additional questions if you want to PM me.
thank you, I was hoping that the OEM remote start module would work with just the DRONE by itself without buying the Idastart remote starter. Thank you sir for your help

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thank you, I was hoping that the OEM remote start module would work with just the DRONE by itself without buying the Idastart remote starter. Thank you sir for your help
The DRONE provides the cellular LTE connection to remote start. The OEM remote start is stand alone and has no way of communicating with the DRONE. The DRONE was designed to do the following:

1. Add GPS tracking to any vehicle made
2. Add enhanced security features to an OEM alarm system/remote start system
3. Interface to an aftermarket remote start/security interface to provide full cellular/internet connectivity to most any vehicle to lock/unlock/remote start/vehicle intelligence like battery voltage and real-time vehicle status (engine running or not...doors open...hood open...etc.)

For the price of all of the components, and the super easy installation, I find it to be a great investment and the monthly cost of the app very reasonable. Based on your true need, it may have a ton of value or it may not have any at all. Anyone that decides they want to take the plunge, I am happy to help you with the programming and installation any time my friends.

Reactions: Ric P

·
Registered
23 Posts
thank you for your response. Are yuiu still able to use the Oem key fob to remote start?

The DRONE provides the cellular LTE connection to remote start. The OEM remote start is stand alone and has no way of communicating with the DRONE. The DRONE was designed to do the following:

1. Add GPS tracking to any vehicle made
2. Add enhanced security features to an OEM alarm system/remote start system
3. Interface to an aftermarket remote start/security interface to provide full cellular/internet connectivity to most any vehicle to lock/unlock/remote start/vehicle intelligence like battery voltage and real-time vehicle status (engine running or not...doors open...hood open...etc.)

For the price of all of the components, and the super easy installation, I find it to be a great investment and the monthly cost of the app very reasonable. Based on your true need, it may have a ton of value or it may not have any at all. Anyone that decides they want to take the plunge, I am happy to help you with the programming and installation any time my friends.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thank you for your response. Are yuiu still able to use the Oem key fob to remote start?
Yes Sir...OEM key fobs works great!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice job. I've been using the Fortin Evo One with Linkr LT2 for about a year a reminder now. Like you it was an easy install.
Do you mind sending the link for all of the equipment you use or nescesary for the install and can you still use the oem key fob to remote start the truck? Do you have to pay for subscription as well? Thank you for your time

1 - 20 of 56 Posts