Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I researched through the threads, but didn't see anything on this remote start option. I ended up going with the CODE ALARM ca4051, and it works great! One of the best mods I've ever had done, you'll laugh at the suckers running out into the cold to start their vehicles!

This is a "one way" remote, which means the truck doesn't send a signal back to the key fob confirming the start. But, just leave your lights on when you leave your truck the night before, and you can see from out the window that the truck has started. The "two-way" remotes are unnecessary for two reasons: 1) they cost more money and 2) they eat up batteries! You don't want to have to be recharging batteries or replacing them constantly (read some reviews on 2 way remotes), just leave your lights on.

Total price including the remote starter, the required bypass, and installation was around $280 (taxes, some minor install/hardware fees). This is on a 2006 RT, I did not need a "security system" I just wanted to warm up the truck in the winter without venturing outside my living room:)

I originally went into Bestbuy to purchase the Avital 4111 because as they had listed here on their website, it had a 3.8 stars out of 43 reviews, but all of the negative reviews were from people saying they felt "duped" because they didn't bother reading the product details that said a $100 bypass will also be required on most vehicles. So, for $150, plus the bypass, thought I'd be in pretty good shape!

However, I talked to the install guys to confirm an install time before purchasing, and they told me to purchase the CODE ALARM product instead, as they said it was "twice as reliable" as the Avital. This was confusing for two reasons: 1) the Avital has great performance reviews (just complaints about needing to buy the additional bypass), and 2) BestBuy doesn't advertise the Code Alarm on their website! The installer said they don't list it online, because not every store in the nation has them available, due to some install complications or something. Anyways, they said that Code Alarm is the company that makes most of the OEM remote starts on new factory vehicles, and that it was hands down a better product, even though the Avital didn't have bad performance reviews, so I took their advice. I would imagine the Avital works fine, but so far have had no issues to report with the Code Alarm!

The Code Alarm is the same exact price as the Avital (or was when I purchased it, 12/2011), right at $150 including free install (plus the $100 bypass/taxes). The Code Alarm also comes with 2 key fobs, not just 1 which is a plus.

From everything I read online, this is *NOT* a project for the average DIY'er. I feel comfortable with most DIY projects but not this one, the companies don't include install directions or support, so unless you really know what you're doing, I'd check ahead with BB on an install date BEFORE purchasing your new remote start:)

Works great, so nice to be able to start the RL from inside the restaurant/store/living room, let it warm up some. The Code Alarm key fob is smaller than the OEM Honda keyfob, only a smidgen bigger than your thumb. To unlock the doors once its running, you have to long-press the Code Alarm fob, just like you can't use your OEM key fob to unlock/lock doors once the key is in the ignition & has turned on the truck. After you've remote started, if you don't put your OEM key into the ignition before hitting the brake (to switch into gear), the truck will die. Leave your heater fan (& lights on) when you leave the truck, that way it'll be nice & toasty when you climb in!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Thanks for the nice write-up.

How long can it run before it shuts down?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Slider. Its programmable so ask the install guy how you want it setup, I just went with the default 20 minutes on mine though. I'm not sure of all the available options, I know the Avital had like 5,15,60 and even run once per hour overnight (must be a very cold environment to need to do this!!)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow up report...everything still works great with this install. The only comments I have to add is that I could certainly see where a 2-way remote would be nice...since you can use the remote start even from inside big buildings (I guess the radio signal really carries well), I could see where you'd like to be able to start it from inside a window-less restaurant as you pickup your check etc. For me, the lower cost and not having to worry about draining batteries, not a big deal, but I could see the convenience of a 2-way remote.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts