Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading various posts here about remote start and heated seats. Attached is the description from the owner's manual.

When I've used remote start on a mid-20's morning, everything seems to function as documented except the heated seats. When I enter the vehicle, all the climate controls, including the rear window/mirror defrost switch, are dark until I step on the brake and hit the start button. But the rear window and mirror defrosters have been working. The steering wheel is warm/hot.

But not the heated seats.

Some posts here say this only works for high-trim Canadian models

Other posts say ECO mode needs to be off

Still others say they only come on if they were left on when engine last stopped

Does anyone have a definitive answer? Do they work as documented or not?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,337 Posts
The seat heaters on US Ridgelines come on during remote start only if you leave the toggle switch in the HI or LO position when exiting the vehicle.

The seat heaters on Canadian Ridgelines are controlled electronically and will come on during a remote start if it's cold outside.

ECON (not ECO) mode has no effect on whether or not the seat heaters activate.

If you want to know exactly how the heated seats work, see my post(s) in the thread below:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/185-2g-problems-fixes-tsb-s/174010-poor-heated-seat-performance-18.html?174010=#post2892593

·
Registered
328 Posts
All Canadian trims? Or just the two high-end?

I'm not Canadian, just curious.

While electronically controlled heated seats are certainly easier to integrate with remote start, there is nothing to keep them from sticking a couple relays in parallel with the toggle switches, if indeed the toggles directly control the current to the seat heaters.

Damn I wish I had a wiring diagram like I did for my G1. But I hate to keep having to spend $10/day to access one.

·
Super Moderator
12,337 Posts
While electronically controlled heated seats are certainly easier to integrate with remote start, there is nothing to keep them from sticking a couple relays in parallel with the toggle switches, if indeed the toggles directly control the current to the seat heaters.
The toggle switches directly control the seat heaters as I explained in the link to another thread in my previous post.

All Canadian trims? Or just the two high-end?

I'm not Canadian, just curious.
I am Canadian, and I'm not curious.>:)

All of the trims except for the base (LX) have the heated and cooled electronically controlled seats. The LX trim is the same as the US version.
Only the Touring and Black Edition have ventilated seats with electronic controls in Canada. The LX, Sport, and EX-L do not.

ALL Canadian Ridgelines have heated front seats.

Only the EX-L, Touring, and Black Edition have heated rear seats. The LX and Sport do not.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BBB doesn't have any 2G wiring diagrams, so I can't directly verify. But I did check a couple other Honda vehicles, including our 2016 CR-V, and all of them use relays to control the heated seats. The toggle switches energize the coil in the relays, the relay contacts switch the current to the heating elements.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The snap from the manual does explain it...The '*' shows that it applies to 'Front Seat Heaters and Seat Ventilation' meaning the applicable Canadian models. You can, as noted, leave the toggle on HI or LOW and then remote start will heat the seats.

I never remember to leave the toggle switch on in winter, however. I usually warm the seat on HI and shut it off for the rest of the trip...Overall, I don't use remote start all that much anyways unless I really need to start the de-icing process early...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Canadian 2018 touring and sometimes after using the remote start to start then get in and start the heated seats dont even come on after pushing the button. Theres no red lights when i push the button. i have to shut the motor off and restart to get the seats to come on. not 100% sure but it seems like it only happens when its a certain temperature outside. around 5 degrees Celsius.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The heated seats in the RL2 do not even compare to other manufacturer's heated seat performance IMO they are very lacking in consistency (Canadian vs USA models) and in design (Canadian PCM design vs crappy USA cheap toggle switches). IMO they fell down on the job and should be fired ! My job would never accept it for sure.

Steve

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a Canadian 2018 touring and sometimes after using the remote start to start then get in and start the heated seats dont even come on after pushing the button. Theres no red lights when i push the button. i have to shut the motor off and restart to get the seats to come on. not 100% sure but it seems like it only happens when its a certain temperature outside. around 5 degrees Celsius.

I’ve had this happen a few times as well, usually only if I start moving immediately after I get in, it’s as though it never comes out of the “command start” mode. Windows wouldn’t work either. Everything back to normal after a restart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Upon entry after using remote start, I have to depress brake pedal and then start button. Doesn't actually restart the engine, but seems to bring everything "to life".

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
991 Posts
I've had this happen a couple of times. Looks like it throws codes as they show up on the work order I posted at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/2910297-post31.html. Not sure if there is a fix as I didn't make a complaint about that to the dealer. They were looking at my auto wipers, but I see these codes also showed up. The shutdown/restart resets it, but the codes will be in there for your dealer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi, has anyone found a fix for this? It has happened to me a few times, and this morning. Someone mentioned, they move around to much and that may affect the heated seat not engaging after a remote start?

thanks;

1 - 13 of 13 Posts