Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tested the remote start function for distance and obstructions? Just curious, with line of sight, how far away you can start it? And if there are obstructions, like being parked in a parking garage, how far it works with concrete, etc, in the way?

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I haven't used it much with obstructions, but did use it from what I thought was a pretty good distance when leaving work today. My Ridgeline was probably 100 yards away as the crow flies and I was able to start it through the window while on the 11th floor of my office building. I haven't had remote start before so maybe that's not super impressive, but it will meet my needs perfectly!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't used it much with obstructions, but did use it from what I thought was a pretty good distance when leaving work today. My Ridgeline was probably 100 yards away as the crow flies and I was able to start it through the window while on the 11th floor of my office building. I haven't had remote start before so maybe that's not super impressive, but it will meet my needs perfectly!
No that's pretty good and rivaling everything aftermarket but the smart start system that works off celullar so anywhere in the world with access to a cellular can start it.

·
Administrator
16,108 Posts
"Approximately 180 ft." according to the press release. I've only used it at 110 ft. through 2 walls at work. GM had/has an "extended range" remote start system that goes up to around 1,000 ft. - the longest factory system I've seen. OnStar removes a distance limitation since it's Internet-based. :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think I know where you going with this and I say just get the Viper 2 way. You'll get a glass breakage sensor and able to run a perimeter sensor or a loop sensor which can be used to secure items in the bed. Installation should be easily since its all can bus data. Probably 5 wires if that.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I know where you going with this and I say just get the Viper 2 way. You'll get a glass breakage sensor and able to run a perimeter sensor or a loop sensor which can be used to secure items in the bed. Installation should be easily since its all can bus data. Probably 5 wires if that.
Yep, you know what I'm doing. Viper, or whatever branded equivalent. It's all 'Directed' anyway. Then tear the interior apart for sound :wink:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was able to start my car from an 40" tall Interstate overpass across 8 lanes of traffic, 4 shoulders and a dozen parking spots in.

nizz

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've used it several times and it's worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I've used it several times and it's worked flawlessly.
Indeed, works great. We have a separate garage/shop about 75 feet from the house and now that my RL has the garage door programmed into Homelink, I can take the original opener inside and in the winter use that to open the garage door and then the remote start to warm it up.

Sheer Looxury. :smile:

·
Administrator
16,108 Posts
Indeed, works great. We have a separate garage/shop about 75 feet from the house and now that my RL has the garage door programmed into Homelink, I can take the original opener inside and in the winter use that to open the garage door and then the remote start to warm it up.

Sheer Looxury. :smile:
I have my garage door interfaced with my alarm panel which is also accessible from the Internet, so I can operate my garage door from anywhere (and verify its position with both a door contact and visually through my IP cameras). Perhaps I'll set up a "reverse Homelink" for the truck's remote that I could also interface with my alarm panel. That way, I could program my panel to automatically open the garage door and start the truck based on a schedule or program a macro that opens the garage door and starts the truck with one button. :)

Ain't technology grand? No matter where I am, I can turn lights on and off, change the temperature in my home, open the garage door, see inside and outside, play music, etc.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have my garage door interfaced with my alarm panel which is also accessible from the Internet, so I can operate my garage door from anywhere (and verify its position with both a door contact and visually through my IP cameras). Perhaps I'll set up a "reverse Homelink" for the truck's remote that I could also interface with my alarm panel. That way, I could program my panel to automatically open the garage door and start the truck based on a schedule or program a macro that opens the garage door and starts the truck with one button. :)

Ain't technology grand? No matter where I am, I can turn lights on and off, change the temperature in my home, open the garage door, see inside and outside, play music, etc.
It's nice to fire off the sprinklers from anywhere when you forgot, adjust home temp, activate/deactivate alarm, open/close garage, and my favorite fire up the hot tub and poool. That last bit is nice while trying to convince a new lady to go home and skinny dip :grin:

I had contractors arrive at my house for an appointment but got tied up at work one time. From my desk at work I was able to open the garage, turn off alarm, and ping a door lock to give them access until i could get there while watching remote. The phone and apps are great for automation. I tend to only use the useful sheet, and skip things like Fakebook, Twatter, Insta-crap, Snap-Crap, and pokemon. :act006:

the car stuff is even better. My DD is electric and I can remote in and turn the ac on, check this and that. There is actual usefulness out there amongst all the crap designed to just waste your time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I meant to say 40 feet. The overpass I originally described was designed for ants. The overpass should be at least 3 times bigger.

nizz

1 - 18 of 18 Posts