Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remote start questions (not finding anything in owner's manual (searching pdf for "remote start" just returns settings option to enable/disable):
  • how do you remote start? dealer told me to push door lock button twice and then hold down Hold button; however, I've read here that you only press door lock button once
  • once truck is started, is there any visual indication on the truck that it is running? drl's on or something? I did not see anything

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,456 Posts
You only need to push the lock button once, then hold the "hold" button for a second or two. If you can see the truck, it will flash the parking lights for a half-second. That is the only visual clue, unless it's cold enough to see the exhaust fumes. Be aware that the range is not nearly as far as many aftermarket remote starts, it is maybe 100 yards at best.

IIRC, If ambient temp is below 45 degrees, the truck will set the blower to high (heat), activate the heated steering wheel (if you have one), and activate seat heaters on the 2020 model, and activate seat heaters on pre-2020 models IF you remember to leave the toggle switch on either High or Low. If you're lucky enough to own a Canadian model, all G2s have automatic seat heaters.

·
Registered
89 Posts
On my '17 I push "door lock" until lights flash, then press "hold" until lights flash. No indication, i.e.lights, that the car is running. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
  • Press lock button once.
  • Then press start button on the remote and hold it for a few seconds.
  • Truck flashes the turn signals once, then flashes them 3 times to show you it's starting, it starts and then I think it flashes the lights 3 times again after that I can't recall but, it doesn't turn any running lights on. The only indication that it is running is the sound of the motor, and or the exhaust steam.
  • After 10 minutes if you don't get in, it shuts the truck off.
  • When you do get in the truck you have to hit the brake and the start button to drive.

(Also: If it's cold out it the remote start turns on the steering wheel heater if you have one, and the fan. I'm not sure of what temperature it has to be for that to activate. Once you enter the truck and hit the brake and start button it turns the fan down and you have to manually restart the steeering wheel heater if you want it on.)

easy peasy

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
Lots of "not quite correct" information in this thread. :)

To start the vehicle remotely, press the "lock" button once then hold the "start" button just long enough for the red light on the remote to blink once - that's all it takes to send the remote start signal to the vehicle. There is no reason to hold the button any longer.

Some exterior lights will flash once if the signal is received.

If the engine starts, some exterior lights will flash six times.

If the engine does not start, some exterior lights will not flash.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have never been able to start mine by pressing unlock once. I have always had to push it twice then hold the start button. I just tried it again. It will not start with just one unlock press. I ask my dealer about this, they simply said the owners manual is wrong. lol

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,456 Posts
I have never been able to start mine by pressing unlock once. I have always had to push it twice then hold the start button. I just tried it again. It will not start with just one unlock press. I ask my dealer about this, they simply said the owners manual is wrong. lol
You are supposed to press the "Lock" button, and then press and hold the "Hold" button until you see the red LED on the fob flash, or see the parking lights on the truck flash.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do the heated seats turn on in the 2017 Touring model that has electronic switches for the heated and cooled seats (not the manual toggle switches like in the other model)? My heated steering wheel turns on but not the seats.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2019 "L" - press the lock once, press "hold" down until the red led lights up on the remote. Works every time . . .

·
Registered
788 Posts
It actually does work if I let up on the HOLD button it as soon as I see red light flash. Doh! I was holding it for ~5 seconds and it was preventing it from working apparently.

·
Registered
788 Posts
You are indeed correct. I was pressing the lock button then holding the HOLD button. That didnt work. Pressing the lock button twice and holding the HOLD button does work. Pressing lock one and pressing the HOLD button until the light flashes also works everytime. Now here's the weird part:

At my workplace, I park a good 300' away from the main door. I have to go to an upstairs window in order to start my vehicle before leaving. The press lock once and the press HOLD until the light flashes does not work at this distance. However, pressing lock twice and holding HOLD for 5 seconds starts it every single time. It is as if the two lock button press and hold HOLD increases the output distance or something. lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
I still can't get my heated seats to turn on with the remote start. Yesterday, before I turn the truck off I made sure that the electronic heated switches were on.

After when I tried the remote start the seats still did not turn on and the temperature was just below freezing. The heated steering wheel we activated.

Is there a setting somewhere that I need to turn on? I have the Canadian touring model.

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
I still can't get my heated seats to turn on with the remote start. Yesterday, before I turn the truck off I made sure that the electronic heated switches were on.

After when I tried the remote start the seats still did not turn on and the temperature was just below freezing. The heated steering wheel we activated.

Is there a setting somewhere that I need to turn on? I have the Canadian touring model.
The setting of the electronic heat seater switches is ignored during a remote start - they are supposed to come on during a remote start when it's "cold" regardless.

Many find the seat heaters to be slow and underpowered. Are you sure they're not coming on? You might have to shoot them with an IR thermometer to tell. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts

It feels like mine don't turn on either with the remote start, steering wheel yes but not the seats. Even more annoying is that the seats do not remember the previous setting. Then the other day I had a glitch where I remote started got in, pressed the start button to get going and the seats would not turn on at all, the indicator lights for the seats wouldn't even turn on. I had to shut the truck off and restart and then the seats worked again.

·
Registered
788 Posts
It feels like mine don't turn on either with the remote start, steering wheel yes but not the seats. Even more annoying is that the seats do not remember the previous setting. Then the other day I had a glitch where I remote started got in, pressed the start button to get going and the seats would not turn on at all, the indicator lights for the seats wouldn't even turn on. I had to shut the truck off and restart and then the seats worked again.
I have had this happen a few times, but usually my seat is warm. However, I start my vehicle before I get into the shower in the morning, then again when I get out. Could be it takes more than 10 minutes for the seat to get warm. Do you enter your RL after one start or two?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts