Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm considering getting a remote start feature added to my '13 RL (RTL with Navi) - I'm torn between Car Toys or Best Buy for the actual installation piece - anyone have any recommendations? I did use Best Buy on my old 09 Ridgeline and didn't have any issues.

However, having a recent friend do mobile audio for Best Buy I've heard the horror stories (lax supervision, hacked installations, employees smoking in customers car while installing, accidental airbag deployments) - I keep telling myself these probably exist everywhere. I just don't feel capable of installing the unit myself so don't want to take the risk of trashing a new vehicle.

I'm considering:

Viper 5901 with the Added SmartStart module - I am curious how the factory security system works with an aftermarket device. Bummer that Honda doesn't offer an OEM solution for remote start like they do on the accord.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Hello,

I'm considering getting a remote start feature added to my '13 RL (RTL with Navi) - I'm torn between Car Toys or Best Buy for the actual installation piece - anyone have any recommendations? I did use Best Buy on my old 09 Ridgeline and didn't have any issues.

However, having a recent friend do mobile audio for Best Buy I've heard the horror stories (lax supervision, hacked installations, employees smoking in customers car while installing, accidental airbag deployments) - I keep telling myself these probably exist everywhere. I just don't feel capable of installing the unit myself so don't want to take the risk of trashing a new vehicle.

I'm considering:

Viper 5901 with the Added SmartStart module - I am curious how the factory security system works with an aftermarket device. Bummer that Honda doesn't offer an OEM solution for remote start like they do on the accord.
You can get crap technicians anywhere... You just got a trust them unless you know them. Mine came from Canadian tire but I installed mine with my Dads friend who is an electrician and is an electrical guru before I left for NWT. All the top brands are pretty much all made by directed electronics so just find one that has all the features you want. Mine is two way, and has a built in alarm. When I hit start on the remote it beeps back and says when it starts and also has a little screen and shows me what part of the truck has been bumped. This feature is NICEEE. I put an Alarm for peace of mind for when I travel out of town and it is left in a parking lot somewhere.

You are right in not installing it if you are not comfortable. Anyone who installs these on a regular basis will be just fine and should do a quality trouble free install.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have a Code Alarm CA6551 two-way one mile range remote start system installed. It works great. It has an LCD on it that will indicate whether or not the attempt to start the engine has been successful and if the doors are locked/unlocked. A nice little feature is that you can press the start button twice with the engine running in park, and you can remove the key and exit the vehicle while you run into the store or something.

It was a little on the spendy side, but you'll definitely want something that will last. As far as installers go, I'd stay away from Best Buy if possible. Take it to a local place where you can get to know the owner if need be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

I'm considering:

I am also in the market for a remote start. Something which does not unlock - then re-lock the doors in the process. Can any chime in with what the are using, that works well?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I am also in the market for a remote start. Something which does not unlock - then re-lock the doors in the process. Can any chime in with what the are using, that works well?
A lot of them do that for security reasons but the astrostart start on my dodge ram work vehicle does not for some reason. Astrostart is the only brand I have seen that doesnt lock the doors. Why don't you want the doors to lock?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had mine done at the dealer prior to delivery. It cost $395.00 and is aftermarket. The good thing is that it is covered under the three year, 36,000 mile warranty if there is a problem with it. I have had it for two winters so far, it works great. Good luck.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'm also looking, maybe you can use yelp and see the reviews on shops. I've found one that sounds great in San Diego with all 5 star reviews.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A lot of them do that for security reasons but the astrostart start on my dodge ram work vehicle does not for some reason. Astrostart is the only brand I have seen that doesnt lock the doors. Why don't you want the doors to lock?

I do want the doors locked - I don't want them to unlock as part of the process.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I do want the doors locked - I don't want them to unlock as part of the process.

you can easily do that by not hooking up the lock/unlock on the RS. But, if you use a can bus bypass, it is all done by the CAN, so you would have to get a key in the box bypass.

Just curious, why do you care about the unlock? Mine unlocks for all of 2 seconds, then relocks. I used the DB-ALL, but have used the FL-Can on a few odysseys and that does the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
you can easily do that by not hooking up the lock/unlock on the RS. But, if you use a can bus bypass, it is all done by the CAN, so you would have to get a key in the box bypass.

Just curious, why do you care about the unlock? Mine unlocks for all of 2 seconds, then relocks. I used the DB-ALL, but have used the FL-Can on a few odysseys and that does the same.
because i work in NYC and park on the street. i remote started my car, an upstanding citizen, or maybe a tourist, heard the door unlock and decided to open the door. when i asked him if it was his car, he said no - it was his friends. i told him to beat it, but i don't like the idea of that ever happening again. I was advised of a solution - which will be installed tomorrow.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the viper 5901 on my ridgeline and Clifford 50.7x in our acura tl. They're pretty much identical. Our doors are locked when the car is started. I realized I overpaid ($575 installed) on the viper alarm so I found the Clifford on eBay for $180, got it installed for $150, and added the remote start myself. The Clifford ended up being around $400 total (express kit and flash kit was about $100)

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you guys have an alarm that has remote start option, use the pkall express kit. You do have to the USb module to flash it. And it worked on my 2003 dell laptop but not my 2010 toshiba laptop. The software is downloadable from their site

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
If you are going thru the motions why not go one step further and get this?

http://www.advancedkeys.com/index.htm

No key to carry around...
Smart Entry (passive)
Push button start
Remote start
Yes. Yes! YES!!! YE-E-E-E-E-E-ESSSSS!!

I'd be pretty upset if I got a conventional remote/alarm system and did not take the opportunity to get rid of the need for a conventional key. The only thing that I do not like about this system is that there appears to be no way to kill the ignition in a "runaway vehicle" situation.

Has anyone tried Advanced Keys on a Ridgeline? I wonder if the optional ignition bypass and steering wheel lock bypass are required.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I like the knob key system instead of the pushbutton. Less complex, easier install, cheaper. Maybe not as 'cool'. Nice system!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I like the knob key system instead of the pushbutton. Less complex, easier install, cheaper. Maybe not as 'cool'. Nice system!
I would prefer it too, but it is not compatible with their remote start capability. The knob version just allows keyless start. If there were no remote start option, I might be willing to get the knob version and use their "backup" card as my only card. Just about anything is better in light-dress weather than carrying this huge key with fob.

BTW, thanks for quantummechanic for posting the link to Advanced Keys.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I would prefer it too, but it is not compatible with their remote start capability. The knob version just allows keyless start. If there were no remote start option, I might be willing to get the knob version and use their "backup" card as my only card. Just about anything is better in light-dress weather than carrying this huge key with fob.

BTW, thanks for quantummechanic for posting the link to Advanced Keys.
I like the 'idea' of remote start, but actually for me is not as important being able to roll windows down remotely in summer which we can do already, but are burdened with the 'fob'. Climate being the 'determinator'.

But it do like making all other functions 'keyless' and key fob-less when possible. Worse case I would still need the fob and card to do both.
Nothing comes easy!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.