Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my remote start to keep my dog safe and cool when I run in a store. On my 2011 G1 I had an add on unit, with 25 min timer and bi-directional communications. I could see it was running on my fob. G2 BE included remote start is a big step backward for two reasons: I cannot get it to run for the second 10 mins. and 2: its not two way communication. I new when I bought this would be an issue. Any experience with add on units with other Honda models that have factory remotes? (as an aside, I also leave windows and sun roof open so if it shuts down without me knowing, my best friend will still be fine.)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Do you have a house with air conditioning?

If so, that's where I'd leave the dog. But I live in Atlanta, my dog wouldn't last 10 minutes in a car right now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use my remote start to keep my dog safe and cool when I run in a store. On my 2011 G1 I had an add on unit, with 25 min timer and bi-directional communications. I could see it was running on my fob. G2 BE included remote start is a big step backward for two reasons: I cannot get it to run for the second 10 mins. and 2: its not two way communication. I new when I bought this would be an issue. Any experience with add on units with other Honda models that have factory remotes? (as an aside, I also leave windows and sun roof open so if it shuts down without me knowing, my best friend will still be fine.)
according to the manual, once you RS the vehicle, you can repeat the procedure once more (Lock and hold start for 4 seconds) and it will add another 10 minutes

·
Administrator
16,053 Posts

It was illegal in Texas until June 19, 2015.

Sec. 545.404. UNATTENDED MOTOR VEHICLE. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), an operator may not leave a vehicle unattended without:
(1) stopping the engine;
(2) locking the ignition;
(3) removing the key from the ignition;
(4) setting the parking brake effectively; and
(5) if standing on a grade, turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the highway.
(b) The requirements of Subsections (a)(1), (2), and (3) do not apply to an operator who starts the engine of a vehicle by using a remote starter or other similar device that:
(1) remotely starts the vehicle's engine without placing the key in the ignition; and
(2) requires the key to be placed in the ignition or physically present in the vehicle before the vehicle can be operated.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
Amended by:
Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1066 (H.B. 2194), Sec. 1, eff. June 19, 2015.
TRANSPORTATION CODE CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES

84(R) HB 2194 - Enrolled version - Bill Text

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have a house with air conditioning?

If so, that's where I'd leave the dog. But I live in Atlanta, my dog wouldn't last 10 minutes in a car right now.
Wow, really tough crowd! I live the way a I live, just wanted to know if anyone had any luck getting the extended run time on remote start. I tried as the manual says without luck.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Don't sweat it GG, everybody takes some flak here once in a while. All well intended I'm sure...... mostly ....:wink:

:)

·
Registered
441 Posts
You could just leave the car running and take the key with you and make sure you lock the doors. I know other vehicles will continue to run even without the key and they will honk every so often to alert you the key is not in the car.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My G2 will not let me lock the door with the fob if the engine is running. I too need to leave it running for my dog.

·
Registered
246 Posts
How about locking it manually like people did before keyless? Push the lock.

About extending the time? Well call Honda, the dealer or set a timer. Im guessing that this is not a daily thing? cuase its your pet A service dog can go anywhere.

No one even law enforcement is giving two $#@$s if your car is idling. No one. As long as someone cant drive off it it.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Someone try it and report back. Pull into your house, but don't shut it off. Get our, and try locking it with the manual key. I own a working dog so would be good to know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Someone try it and report back. Pull into your house, but don't shut it off. Get our, and try locking it with the manual key. I own a working dog so would be good to know.
I have seen this done with other Honda models. In my research I found one response from a cop who said please don't do it! They only have to break a window and they have your car until they shut it off. They don't mind breaking the window! He said it happens a lot!
Again have no idea if true or not.

·
Registered
973 Posts
In my research I found one response from a cop who said please don't do it!
You would think they would design these so that you could let them run without the fob but not drive without it. Seems not that hard to do. I don't think I would use this except at home in the winter anyway and we are pretty rural so almost no risk to doing that.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I have seen this done with other Honda models. In my research I found one response from a cop who said please don't do it! They only have to break a window and they have your car until they shut it off. They don't mind breaking the window! He said it happens a lot!
Again have no idea if true or not.
I'm ok with it and I train K9's with some cops locally. I use this only for something like stopping into a convenience story, the cleaners, something where I'm in/out. I don't take the k9 with me to buy groceries or go see a movie and leave the dog inside the cab. And I carry so if someone wants to have a go at theft I'm in close proximity and it will end with slow singing and flower bringing. In Texas we have the lawful right to defend our person or property by any means necessary. Stand your ground. So you try to break in my house or my vehicle, you'll get a verbal warning then it's +p 124gr's headed in your direction. And I'm a pretty good shot. :wink:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
You would think they would design these so that you could let them run without the fob but not drive without it. Seems not that hard to do. I don't think I would use this except at home in the winter anyway and we are pretty rural so almost no risk to doing that.
The alarm mfr's have this covered. I had a compustar on another vehicle. I could leave it running. If someone broke into it (don't think that could happen) while I left it running....as soon as they hit the gas or hit the brake without the key in the ignition the vehicle would die. Id' forget to do it once in a while (re-insert key) and get pissed at myself. This worked because you could leave it running, get out, and arm the alarm without turning the car off. It would stay running. So the car was on, engine running, and the alarm was armed for door/glass break.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,892 Posts
Virtually every aftermarket remote-start device has this feature.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Virtually every aftermarket remote-start device has this feature.

If your remote start the RL you can't drive off without putting your foot on the break and pressing the start button and having the key fob. If you don't have the key fob and you break the window and then push the start button the engine shuts off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,053 Posts
Just tried. The doors will lock manually with the key while the engine stays running. A "Keyless Remote Not Detected" message appears on the multi-information display. If you re-enter using the key, but leave the keybob behind, the vehicle can be driven away.

I also discovered that if you enter the vehicle following a remote start without pressing BRAKE and START, the engine will shut off the moment you pull the shift lever release button and try to shift from park. This will prevent someone from driving away with your vehicle if it has been remotely started and they do not have the keyless remote.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts