Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Ridgeline, 310k miles
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm half way through the Timing Belt job and I want to change the Camshaft seals. Problem is I can't get the sprockets is because I can't find a tool that will keep the gear locked in position. Any ideas?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I used one of these when I did my timing belt. It has a tendency to slip off the gears if you try to undo the bolt by hand (I ended up using a stubby impact wrench) so it helps if you put a metal zip tie around the two parts that contact the gears so they can't expand when you put tension on it.

The typical timing belt cam tools will only work on one side, since only one of the cam gears has the large openings that allow them to be used.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used one of these when I did my timing belt. It has a tendency to slip off the gears if you try to undo the bolt by hand (I ended up using a stubby impact wrench) so it helps if you put a metal zip tie around the two parts that contact the gears so they can't expand when you put tension on it.

The typical timing belt cam tools will only work on one side, since only one of the cam hears has the large openings that allow them to be used.
Literally my exact experience, man - I tried the usual cam locks and only got one side, then I tried with that tool and it kept slipping. I hadn't worked out that I needed to use a metal zip tie and stubby impact, talk about running the gambit on tools here. Ok, well I gotta go to the store now and get a stubby impact and metal zip tie, I only have a normal impact and plastic zip ties. Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, the timing belt job gives you good excuses to add tools to your toolbox, but it will still run you less money than shelling out the money for someone else to slap it together in a day!

Do you have an air compressor? The stubby 1/2 impact wrench from harbor freight came in handy here, and has gotten me put of many jams since I bought it for this job. Well worth the investment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No kidding. The parts weren't cheap either, but next time I'll try to source them outside the dealership.

No air compressor, but I've been doing pretty well with just electric tools for years now. My battery impact would probably do the job if I could get it down in there. I've been reading good things about Milwaukee's 3/8 stubby impact though, and I have a few of their other M12 tools, so I'm going to give that a shot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you are already on the milwaukee M12 system, those would be perfect!

They have a right angle 3/8 impact as well which would be wonderful for brake jobs. Been considering picking one of those up myself

·
Registered
28 Posts
Negative Ghost Rider. They are standard lefty loosies. Although I think Honda has He-man working at their engine plants, because those suckers, like the crank bolt, seem to be WAY tighter than what the factory torque specs seem to say!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Houston we have lift-off. Once I realized that impact had 4 different settings, I cranked it up to Max and it ripped it right off without nary a second thought. No problems at all. Thanks again brother.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts