Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carpet is certainly good for sound deadening, so I won't say I want to not replace it with something, but...

What's the purpose of having carpet it almost all the areas you can see are covered with all weather mats? Is it just to soak up moisture and odors in my near-10-year-old truck? I think I would like to remove all the carpet and replace it with something that is a little more "jeep-like" and all weather.

Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
975 Posts
I agree that carpet is a poor choice of floor covering for those of us that live in snow country. I would like to see a rubber floor option. I have not heard of anyone selling such a product.

Many years ago when auto floors were flush with the door sill and rubber flooring was common it was easy to just flush with a hose to clean out the salt, sand and debris.

I suppose the best we can do now is to use Weather Tech mats.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Wasn't the Honda Element an example of this?????

Also, a more humorous example: Back in maybe 1976 or 77(?), I was at a Chevy dealer to check out their latest, smallest car just being released... I think it was called the Chevette.... and was aimed at fuel economy in those dark days following the OPEC fuel lines. I believe it had a 3 cylinder Suzuki engine, but I could be wrong..... I distinctly had that memory, but when I looked it up just now, I don't see that. Anyway, back to the carpet. It had NONE... at least the strippy model I looked at on the lot did not... but most amusing of all is that it didn't have ANYTHING covering the floor. Just blue paint. I laughed out loud looking at that. I had just bought a '76 Civic, which looked like a Rolls Royce compared to that Chevette. So, yeah, you can get rid of the carpet.
Here's a Wikipedia excerpt on that low end model Chevette Scooter: (they say "black carptet", but the one I saw had NONE!) Pretty bare bones!
from Wiki:
The Scooter was offered as a base model with a $2,899 MSRP, two front passenger seats, an optional rear seat, deletion of most exterior chrome (e.g., window surrounds), painted rather than chrome bumpers, an open glove box, black carpeting, door pull straps in lieu of arm rests, fiberboard door panels, and a passenger seat without fore/aft adjustment.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Wasn't the Honda Element an example of this?????

Also, a more humorous example: Back in maybe 1976 or 77(?), I was at a Chevy dealer to check out their latest, smallest car just being released... I think it was called the Chevette.... and was aimed at fuel economy in those dark days following the OPEC fuel lines. I believe it had a 3 cylinder Suzuki engine, but I could be wrong..... I distinctly had that memory, but when I looked it up just now, I don't see that. Anyway, back to the carpet. It had NONE... at least the strippy model I looked at on the lot did not... but most amusing of all is that it didn't have ANYTHING covering the floor. Just blue paint. I laughed out loud looking at that. I had just bought a '76 Civic, which looked like a Rolls Royce compared to that Chevette. So, yeah, you can get rid of the carpet.
Here's a Wikipedia excerpt on that low end model Chevette Scooter: (they say "black carptet", but the one I saw had NONE!) Pretty bare bones!
from Wiki:
The Scooter was offered as a base model with a $2,899 MSRP, two front passenger seats, an optional rear seat, deletion of most exterior chrome (e.g., window surrounds), painted rather than chrome bumpers, an open glove box, black carpeting, door pull straps in lieu of arm rests, fiberboard door panels, and a passenger seat without fore/aft adjustment.

We had one of those Chevette's when I was a kid.

Ha, ha. That takes me back.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I was searching for “remove carpet” for somewhat of a different reason, and found this old thread of mine. I will concede that carpet it good sound deadening, especially as my RL gets into “old car territory” with 117,000 miles. But...

I lent a friend my truck to use to haul a car on a 26 hour drive to deliver another vehicle and pick up a transmission he really wanted. I didn’t think to mention how a transmission can fit in the empty trunk that I cleared out for him. Normally a transmission would just get tossed in the bed of the truck. Right?

Well, when he got home with my truck, I saw that he had put the transmission in the back seat area in the only freaking place that has exposed carpet. Stains would not have gotten me upset. But rotten stinking gear oil that seeped into my carpet is a problem that really really stinks. I’ve researched how to get the smell out, and even removing the carpet to really wash it might not solve the problem. Pulling a carpet from a parts vehicle may be a better solution.

But... either way, I need to figure out how to remove the carpet. It looks like it might be the type of thing that requires the seats and center console all be removed if I don’t want to destroy the carpet (in either my vehicle or a parts vehicle).

One possible shortcut (no pun intended) would be to cut the carpet at the plastic bar that receives the seat legs. I’ve got to replace the pulleys for the seat legs anyway. So maybe that would be the suggested method to remove my carpet and give it a serious wash.

Any opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Guess you could go to Lowes and buy some engineered floor planking and get really creative. I'd avoid a tile job however.

Seriously, a product like Linex could work, and offer some sound deadening.

Reactions: Molisa

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
How about some linoleum? Seriously, I agree carpeting's day may have come an gone with all the options out there today. We don't have a stitch of carpeting left in the house ... been that way for 10 years now.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guess you could go to Lowes and buy some engineered floor planking and get really creative. I'd avoid a tile job however.

Thank you for the response. Yes, ceramic tile is not an option. LOL.

I was actually considering creating a new thread with the simple question: “How do you remove the carpet?” I don’t know if this is something Ingle Factory Service Manual, but perhaps that’s what I should seek.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts

Don't laugh about the Line-X. They can mix just about any color now and theres a variety of textures. Course it would take a hell of a masking tape job...one I wouldn't want.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, I was searching for “remove carpet” for somewhat of a different reason, and found this old thread of mine. I will concede that carpet it good sound deadening, especially as my RL gets into “old car territory” with 117,000 miles. But...

I lent a friend my truck to use to haul a car on a 26 hour drive to deliver another vehicle and pick up a transmission he really wanted. I didn’t think to mention how a transmission can fit in the empty trunk that I cleared out for him. Normally a transmission would just get tossed in the bed of the truck. Right?

Well, when he got home with my truck, I saw that he had put the transmission in the back seat area in the only freaking place that has exposed carpet. Stains would not have gotten me upset. But rotten stinking gear oil that seeped into my carpet is a problem that really really stinks. I’ve researched how to get the smell out, and even removing the carpet to really wash it might not solve the problem. Pulling a carpet from a parts vehicle may be a better solution.

But... either way, I need to figure out how to remove the carpet. It looks like it might be the type of thing that requires the seats and center console all be removed if I don’t want to destroy the carpet (in either my vehicle or a parts vehicle).

One possible shortcut (no pun intended) would be to cut the carpet at the plastic bar that receives the seat legs. I’ve got to replace the pulleys for the seat legs anyway. So maybe that would be the suggested method to remove my carpet and give it a serious wash.

Any opinions?

The smell of gear oil is definitely NASTY. I bought a new 1986 Ford F150 that had a rubber mat instead of carpet. Underneath the rubber mat was a cloth / fibrous material to help with sound proofing. Carpet does not belong in a truck. The best thing about that rubber mat was that I could take a water hose and wash out the interior of the truck.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The smell of gear oil is definitely NASTY. I bought a new 1986 Ford F150 that had a rubber mat instead of carpet. Underneath the rubber mat was a cloth / fibrous material to help with sound proofing. Carpet does not belong in a truck. The best thing about that rubber mat was that I could take a water hose and wash out the interior of the truck.

You understand me. I’ve recently seen in the Trading post here a rear all weather rubber mat that covers the area under the rear seat and the area in front of the rear seat all as a single rubber piece. It was for a gen2 though. Honda missed the mark on the gen1 rear rubber mat in my opinion.

It’s as if I jinxed myself by starting this thread, and then lending out my truck.

Until I hear of instructions to remove the carpet, I’m thinking I’ll be removing the entire back seat and then cutting it where the rear legs snap in. (Ironically the same friend broke one of the leg pulleys by yanking on a leg instead of the release lever on the side. I guess I should have known better.)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I had to give the kids a ride, and we all agreed it was a horrible smell. As a temporary “solution” dumped a whole bottle of baking soda, and then sprayed and dumped 3 different types of Odor eliminators / fabreeze on the rear carpet. The gear oil smell is still apparent, but it seems tolerable. Maybe I can avert the need to pull the carpet.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
How about using a carpet cleaner to get it out?

I had an '82 Toyota Tercel that had rubber flooring, I also had an old Dodge Ram Charger that had it. Yes, very easy to clean.

If I am not mistaken, JC Whitney used to sell rubber floor covering. If they don't any longer, how about rubber roofing material? I'll try to think of other options when my brain wakes up and the coffee takes effect!

Reactions: Molisa

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,325 Posts
When I replaced my carpet, before the installation, I sprayed it with 4 coats of NeverWet. As I have floor liners, I am protected for the most part. Yet again, my wife drives the truck and I cannot begin to tell you the stuff I vacuum out of the floor. Also when we get a cars washed in the winter through the automated carwash, they do not dry the mats before throwing it in, so the bottom is still wet on the mats when they go in. it has helped me well.

Me personally, would not get rid of the carpet.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I replaced my carpet, before the installation, I sprayed it with 4 coats of NeverWet. As I have floor liners, I am protected for the most part. Yet again, my wife drives the truck and I cannot begin to tell you the stuff I vacuum out of the floor. Also when we get a cars washed in the winter through the automated carwash, they do not dry the mats before throwing it in, so the bottom is still wet on the mats when they go in. it has helped me well.

Me personally, would not get rid of the carpet.

Do you remember the list of items you had to remove to get the carpet out an get a new one in?

Seats? Center console? Rocker trim? Etc...

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,325 Posts
Do you remember the list of items you had to remove to get the carpet out an get a new one in?

Seats? Center console? Rocker trim? Etc...

Boy it was a couple of years ago, so let me do my best to do it for you

Since the carpet is sort of two piece (there is a split going down the middle up until the rear of the center console/rear vent area) it is easy to lay the new carpet from the back of the truck and work your way towards the front.

Fr. Driver seat
Fr. Pass Seat
Rear floor bar (where the back seat legs lock in).
Fr. Driver side door trims
Fr Pass Side door trims
Both C-Pillar lower trim (Single bolt that anchors the seat belt)
R. Driver side door trims
R. Pass side door trims
R. Seat bottom triims (the rear seat bottom was not removed)
Floor tray (#37 in the below image)
Rear part of the center console with the rear vents (#28 in the below image)

I did not remove the center console (#22) completely , but removed the screws, pulled them out one side at a time and used a trim tool to push the carpet's leading edge under the console.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,331 Posts
Here's a Start...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Today I had to give the kids a ride, and we all agreed it was a horrible smell. As a temporary “solution” dumped a whole bottle of baking soda, and then sprayed and dumped 3 different types of Odor eliminators / fabreeze on the rear carpet. The gear oil smell is still apparent, but it seems tolerable. Maybe I can avert the need to pull the carpet.

Couldn't resist:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Look like a lot of work to pull out the whole carpet. Maybe just removing the section that is not covered (and now soaked in gear oil).

I just did the backseat pulley replacement, and saw where I can (hopefully) remove the rear end of the carpet.

Then it look like I could just cut it here to at least pull it out, degrease it and wash it and let it sit in the sun for a few years.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts