21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Reactions: S.T.U.V

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was thinking of going to a truck tarp place locally and have them cut a piece that’ll cover the whole back area, go under the rear seat locking bar and under the seats to allow for wet dog feet and shedding labradors.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Next to my G1 Ridgelines (on my second), the Element was the most practical, user-friendly and versatile vehicle I’ve ever owned, and there have been many during the past 50-plus years. Gave it to my daughter when I bought my first RTL and she loved it as well. There was a wives’ tale going around that you could just hose it out, which of course you could, just as you can hose out a Bentley if you don’t mind a mold farm growing underneath the flooring and never-ending electrical snafu’s. That said, the floor in the Element was relatively easily cleaned and well insulated, and I wouldn’t mind having a similar product in the Ridgeline.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
I bought a new 1986 Ford F150 that had a rubber mat instead of carpet. Underneath the rubber mat was a cloth / fibrous material to help with sound proofing. Carpet does not belong in a truck.
It's ok, everyone knows the Ridgeline is "Not a Real Truck" anyway. 🤣😂😅
I love the fact that it's a luxurious vehicle with the benefits of being a pickup truck. That is what convinced me to buy it.
The last vehicle I owned that had no carpet was a 1982 Totota Tercel 1302 (stripper / base model) that had rubber flooring. If I want a base model vehicle, then I'll buy one.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It's ok, everyone knows the Ridgeline is "Not a Real Truck" anyway.
I love the fact that it's a luxurious vehicle with the benefits of being a pickup truck. That is what convinced me to buy it.
The last vehicle I owned that had no carpet was a 1982 Totota Tercel 1302 (stripper / base model) that had rubber flooring. If I want a base model vehicle, then I'll buy one.
I don’t see how carpet under the rear seat and under all the floor mats makes the vehicle more luxurious, especially not when soaked in used gear oil, as was the reason I started this thread.

Do you know that If you look up a ridgeline in some technical catalogs, it’s actually listed as a “sedan”. Yes, a sedan because it has four doors and a trunk (and is a unibody ladder frame vehicle, not a body on frame). It is more of a sedan than a truck really, but it does function well and a love it, but I’m not taking my shoes off and rubbing my feet on the carpet or laying on it and playing games with my kids. Carpet in general is some nasty stuff if it’s not vacuumed and cleaned regularly. It’s the collector of all dust and debris that falls from above. Wanna lick my carpet? LOL. At least with a hard surface, you can clean it and know you got all the dirt off.

Back to the original topic (and not sure how you dug this one up anyway), I have cut the carpet out of that section under the rear seat, and the majority of the smell has abated. The carpet still lays in the sun on top of the remains of a car in a junk yard. Every once in a while I pick up the carpet and smell it, only to wish I had not. The gear oil smell remains.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
I don’t see how carpet under the rear seat and under all the floor mats makes the vehicle more luxurious, especially not when soaked in used gear oil, as was the reason I started this thread.

Do you know that If you look up a ridgeline in some technical catalogs, it’s actually listed as a “sedan”. Yes, a sedan because it has four doors and a trunk (and is a unibody ladder frame vehicle, not a body on frame). It is more of a sedan than a truck really, but it does function well and a love it, but I’m not taking my shoes off and rubbing my feet on the carpet or laying on it and playing games with my kids. Carpet in general is some nasty stuff if it’s not vacuumed and cleaned regularly. It’s the collector of all dust and debris that falls from above. Wanna lick my carpet? LOL. At least with a hard surface, you can clean it and know you got all the dirt off.

Back to the original topic (and not sure how you dug this one up anyway), I have cut the carpet out of that section under the rear seat, and the majority of the smell has abated. The carpet still lays in the sun on top of the remains of a car in a junk yard. Every once in a while I pick up the carpet and smell it, only to wish I had not. The gear oil smell remains.
Good for you. Resale value has dropped now. Not a problem for someone who doesn't take care of their vehicle the way most people on this site seem to. I had an old Dodge Ramcharger as a work vehicle that had a rubber interior and could literally be hosed out. I think that something like that would suit your needs far better than a Honda Ridgeline.

Concerning "how carpet under the rear seat and under all the floor mats makes the vehicle more luxurious", sound deadening and insulation are two obvious ways.

From the way you describe your vehicle, you will probably benefit from removing the foam padded seats and replacing them with fiberglass seats. Foam and cloth collect all debris too. After replacing them you'll be able to lick your seats, too. 🤢🤮

I prefer to clean my vehicle when needed and detail it regularly to maintain it's pristine appearance and value. Used gear oil INSIDE my Ridgeline? Not a flipping chance! I have read stories on detailing forums about some of the gross vehicles people expect to have cleaned. Some people just don't deserve nice vehicles.

SMH

·
Registered
958 Posts
I bet the resale value is no lower than it was when the pickup reeked of gear oil.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts