Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got any tips for removing the "HONDA", "RIDGELINE", and "AWD" badges from the tailgate? I always remove this stuff and the dealer name, but my last few vehicles just had decals. The raised letters are a pain in the butt to wash and wax around.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll try it with some 20 lb. monofiliment fishing line.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Wow. Leave it to Honda to give advice on how to do this!

This may not be relevant to the Ridge, but I will add that I've removed badges from Honda motorcycles in the past ("we don't need no stinking badges!") in fact off a brand-spanking-new Valkyrie gas tank, and was amazed at the abuse the new paint job tolerated. Had to use a hair dryer and Goo Gone and god-knows-what-else but the paint job was as beautiful after as before. Scared the hell out of me to do it, but I didn't need a decal stating that gasoline is flammable! Good grief!

Of course, YMMV!! :eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used a hair drier and dental floss it worked great and only took about 20mins.

I think it looks much better now

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little bit of heat from a heat gun and some 20 lb test fishing line cut like butter and the finish was georgeous after a little wax. I took the HONDA, RidgeLine, and 4WD badges and glued them to the back of my 94 Chevy Cavalier wagon I use for a commuter car. Looked great against the rust and dents. Hope nobody from Honda sees it and sues me for "defamation of car character". Got quite a few laughs from co-workers. Maybe I'll post a picure later.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
steveberger said:
A little bit of heat from a heat gun and some 20 lb test fishing line cut like butter and the finish was georgeous after a little wax. I took the HONDA, RidgeLine, and 4WD badges and glued them to the back of my 94 Chevy Cavalier wagon I use for a commuter car. Looked great against the rust and dents. Hope nobody from Honda sees it and sues me for "defamation of car character". Got quite a few laughs from co-workers. Maybe I'll post a picure later.
Take a pic of both. Wonder if it might frustrate a meter maid when writing a parking ticket and has no clue what make or model the truck is and walk on although just the plate number is probably good enough.

·
Registered
52 Posts
vertrkr said:
Take a pic of both. Wonder if it might frustrate a meter maid when writing a parking ticket and has no clue what make or model the truck is and walk on although just the plate number is probably good enough.
I could have used this a week from last thursday when I was parked on the side of the road during road cleaning hours. I should cover up my vin too.

·
Registered
953 Posts
steveberger said:
Counterfeit Ridgeline like the mini cooper commercial :D

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picture is posted in new thread titled "2nd RL used $600"

·
Registered
112 Posts
Fishing line and a blow dryer did mine with no trouble. In fact you can use your finger to get the gummy adhesive off and clean with goo gone then wax.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just de-badged my truck about a week ago. All i did was put a paint scraper under part of the badge and popped off all the badges mainly letter by letter. Be carful tho to not scratch your paint obviously. After this there was a lot of adhesive left on the paint. I used goo gone and my finger, to sort of roll off the adhesive. I love how it looks, hope this helps.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Anybody got any tips for removing the "HONDA", "RIDGELINE", and "AWD" badges from the tailgate? I always remove this stuff and the dealer name, but my last few vehicles just had decals. The raised letters are a pain in the butt to wash and wax around.
I remove mine with my fingers and nails :act064: and there was no sticky residues.. ;act028:
it was really easy since the truck was new. :act024:

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have known of people using dental floss ( not the plastic ) and Goo Gone. Slide the dental floss behind the emblem using Goo Gone to disolve the stickey stuff that holds the emblem on. Then use a sawing motion with the dental floss, adding the Goo Gone periodically to keep the stickey stuff desolving. We removed the emblems from a Honda VTX motorcycle tank this way. Be patient and they will come right off with no damage to the paint.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used to work in a body shop, in order to remove pin stripes and adhesive, we used a rubber wheel that you can buy from a car paint/supply store. It fits right into a cordless power drill, work super super fast. I could remove pin stripes on both sides of a vehicle in about 4 minutes. Its a lot like an eraser on a pencil. Never had to worry about hurting the paint. I believe the cost for one is between $7 and $12. Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Goo Gone automotive is a winner in my book. It will take all residues off no problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts