Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have removed the dash in the Ridgeline:
Is the removal as easy as it appears?
Are there any tips or concerns that I should be aware of?
Once removed and replaced, have you had any problems with squeaks or rattles?
Usual newbie concerns.

Anyone have any info on the Ipod kit? I have read the installation instructions, so at least we know it will work in the ridgeline. I am curious if it will allow control from the head unit and what information will be displayed. My old VW ICE setup gave little or no head unit control and only gave a playlist number. SInce Honda is suggesting glove compartment install, I would hope the head unit will give better control and information. THe other problem I had previously, when the Ipod was plugged into the adapter the ipod controls were turned off! THis meant totally disconnecting the ipod to make any changes. WHat a pain. I hope this new unit will be a next, next next generation product. At close to $200 cost, it should be.
THanks for any info you may have to share.
drdk

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I am anxiously awaiting information as well.

·
Registered
236 Posts
What's the Ipod kit going to actually do? Is it a place in the dash to slide the Ipod in and then it connects to the audio system and also charges it?

I'm seriously considering an Ipod but figured I would use the Aux jack.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I called CollegeHills Honda to check on availability. They talked to Honda who said around the 16th. They let me place a pre-order so as soon as they're in, I'll get it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately, we are replowing ground that has been covered many times in this forum. THe aux jack on a navi equipped Ridgeline will accept a patch cord from the headphone jack on an Ipod. It allows playback through the built in head unit. No controls, no recharging. Its just a place to feed the output of the ipod. You then control volume with the head unit but control everything else on the ipod.

The new Ipod kit from Honda has been discussed in several other threads. Honda released a statement a few weeks ago. Now here is the good news. The kit will fit the Ridgeline. Here is a link to the installation instructions.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ridgeline/06_electronics.htm

I am hoping this kit will be a next gen application that gives adequate control of the ipod (since it is to be placed in the glove box). This solution does provide recharging.

·
Registered
218 Posts
To respond to the original post...Yes, the dash removal is very easy. The only difficulties I had were with the molex connectors. As is usually the case, seperating them the first time is not easy. The mechanical connection is quite stiff. After the first removal they're a piece of cake. You will want to be careful pulling the dash cover away from the steering wheel area. It's a tight fit and you can scuff the plastic if not careful. Just keep a couple of paper towels handy and slip them into areas that may rub (like the gear shift lever).
Since I have more than one MP3 player I decided I wanted something that was a little more generic in application. I tapped into the radio with a PIE X-3 connector to a PIE X-3 triple input connector interface. I have the Blitz Safe connected to this for the Ipod (charges the energy hog while in use). I also have a mini stereo jack to RCA pigtail to connect my Iriver and still have a pair of inputs available fot the video or whatever. Everything goes behind the glove box so it's pretty sanitary.
Quite frankly, I didn't want to get caught out when Apple makes one of its capricious design changes they often use to drive sales. This way any changes will be very quick and very easy.:D

P.S. The typos to the contrary not withstanding English is my native tongue!:p

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the information on dash removal. That's about what I expected. Sounds like you developed a good way to fill your Mp3 demands. I keep hoping for some dash controls for the pod!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Very nice explanation. I printed this out for later use. Thanks, Mugen1!

L

·
0 Posts
If I wanted to but an iPod for Ridgena, who, what, where, when, and how?? :D

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'm just a little steamed that Honda is charging such a price for the dang thing. I've priced out the add-on iPod accessory for my wife's Miata (admittedly, she wants a new head unit, XM, iPod, and new speakers) - it is only running $119.99 (Pioneer).

But, nonetheless, I'll probably add the thing - my only question is whether or not I'll lose my XM connection via the AUX jack (I have installed my own Xm radio via the HON accessory plug-in module - anything w/ a stereo jack will plug in, it just can't be controlled via the Honda head unit).

-ridgeln

·
Registered
670 Posts
Oh yes...the iPod adapter is a must have, though I too balk at the price, but hey it's less expensive than the XM install.

I'll probably purchase the parts at College Hills Honda and have my local dealer install it.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
will the ipod kit work for non-navi RL RTL & still use steering control?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
One can both hope and assume that the iPod controller will work w/ the steering wheel controls. I certainly hope so - I've gotten so used to them that I really miss the controls when I drive other vehicles.

-ridgeln

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Talked with Paul Pacek at College Hills Honda. Went ahead and preordered the ipod kit. Unfortunately, Paul didn't have any more information than we have gathered here on the ROC! He is hoping for shipping sometime around the 15th of this month.

I will post impressions and results as soon as I have the kit in hand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts