Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of us have talked about removing door panels for speaker replacement, but does anyone have pics or something ? There was a post with a link to another board, but the pics didn't work. I have found a Honda parts website with a detailed exploded view of the door panel, but I just was looking for some first hand knowledge..........

·
Registered
275 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm having the same problem and everybody keeps linking to me those sites which don't help much.
Do the doors just pop right off with a good tug from the bottom left side?

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Going from memory here, but the panels are easy to remove.

Front door panel removal.

Roll down the window.

Remove the small A Pillar filler piece at the front top of the door panel. One clip at top then pull up. Easy.

Pull the door handle to the open position and remove the small false panel behind it. Remove the screws and this will release the door handle assembly. Pull the handle out slightly and release the clip holding the door handle cable and remove the assembly.

Remove the three screws revealed by the removal of the door handle assembly.

One more screw is under the rubber insert in the door grab handle. Use a small screw driver or similar to remove the flexible rubber insert then remove the screw.

Now you can either use a trim tool or your hands to pop the panel clips. There are clips all the way around the perimeter of the panel. Find a spot and just pull the panel out of the clips. Don't worry... it will pull out.

Once you've popped all the clips lift the panel straight up off the door. Notice that you must disconnect the wire harness from the door panel once you get it free from the vehicle.

That's all.

When reassembling the panel you must remove the clips from the door and put them on the panel first.

The entire process should not take over 5 minutes. A trim tool make getting the clips out of the door easier for reinsertion, but not necessary (I don't have one).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for the step by step csimo!
I just ordered a pair of Infinity 6012si speakers from Crutchfield for the front doors ($10 off now). The sales rep couldn't say enough about the quality of sound from them. I'll let you know how the install goes using complimentary mounting rings and wiring adapters. As discussed on the other thread, they don’t yet have a master sheet on popping the door panel of yet, though they have the tech notes. I’ll follow your step by step. I’ll try to take pix and document the job if it would help anyone. This should be easy after the project I just completed on the wife’s Odyssey. I just installed an Alpine DVD system with the head unit placed in the dash under the factory radio and the 10.2” WVGA monitor on the ceiling. I’ve never taken so many pieces off a vehicle before, let alone cut a hole in the headliner.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for tempting me...

Now, I too, have gone to Crutchfield's site and ordered the speakers (2 sets)
All totalled - speakers, free harness, free mounting rings, door removal tool, dampening material, 3 pack of mini DV tapes - came to $204!!

A little internet search found a $20 off coupon code and over $200 gets free shipping. Had to search the site for something I could use (the tapes) to get me over $200 for the free shipping.

Let me know how the install goes and I'll do the same

MJ

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
One more tip for this project. When you get the door panel off it's not apparent how the speaker comes out. Here's how:

Get a thin flat blade screw driver. Pull the top of the door speaker out slightly and insert the screw driver at the very top to release the clip. Pull the top of the speaker out slightly once the clip is released and then pull the speaker straight up to release the bottom slot holders. Then just unclip the wire harness.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Csimo, Jch, Docmwj and others: Thank you for your time and effort in documenting the speaker upgrade process. I am very interested in your opinions as to how the upgrade improves the sound quality. The high end is definetely lacking with the stock speakers. Clarity and presence could be better. Overall the stock speakers are not too bad, for $4.25 speakers! I will follow your recomendations based on your results. Thank you, all, again!

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
I posted my personal comparison between the stock speakers and the Infinity 6002i's in a different thread.

Even a week or so into the change I'm still extremely happy with the very minor change of just the front door speakers. I'm able to lower the priority of upgrading the rest of the sound system.

I do have to admit that I found a place selling Polk DB650's for an unbelievable low price and I ordered them. If and when they show up I intend to compare them to the Infinity's. I have admired Polk Audio products and when I saw these for a super low price I had to give them a try. It's been about a week and the place still hasn't shipped them so I'm not sure I'll ever get them... but if I do I'll let you all know about them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
csimo said:
I posted my personal comparison between the stock speakers and the Infinity 6002i's in a different thread.

Even a week or so into the change I'm still extremely happy with the very minor change of just the front door speakers. I'm able to lower the priority of upgrading the rest of the sound system.

I do have to admit that I found a place selling Polk DB650's for an unbelievable low price and I ordered them. If and when they show up I intend to compare them to the Infinity's. I have admired Polk Audio products and when I saw these for a super low price I had to give them a try. It's been about a week and the place still hasn't shipped them so I'm not sure I'll ever get them... but if I do I'll let you all know about them.
Hey Csimo,

After you replace the OEM speakers, it looks like the opening in the door is sort of "keyhole" shaped, not round like traditional openings. Thank Honda for never making it easy...anyway, what I'd like to know is after mounting regular 6.5" with spacers, how did you deal with the remaining space ? I mean, did you close it off ? I'm sure the sound quality is better when there is a solid barrier between the speaker and its mounting surface. With the opening in th RL's doors, it looks like there would be a gap on the bottom of the speaker. If you have any pics of your new speakers installed, it would help..........

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
rtpjunior said:
Hey Csimo,

After you replace the OEM speakers, it looks like the opening in the door is sort of "keyhole" shaped, not round like traditional openings. Thank Honda for never making it easy...anyway, what I'd like to know is after mounting regular 6.5" with spacers, how did you deal with the remaining space ? I mean, did you close it off ? I'm sure the sound quality is better when there is a solid barrier between the speaker and its mounting surface. With the opening in th RL's doors, it looks like there would be a gap on the bottom of the speaker. If you have any pics of your new speakers installed, it would help..........
My 3/4" spacers covered the entired hole in the door. No open area to worry about.

Sorry no pics at this time.

-Joe

·
Registered
275 Posts
I received my Infinity 6012si speakers form Crutchfield along with mounting rings and wiring harnesses yesterday. I installed them this evening and I don't know what to do with my new found fidelity. I followed the step by step doccumented I received from Crutchfield tech over the phone. This worked like a charm. I took plenty of pictures for every step. I did have to do some custom work on the rings. I will try to put together something with pictures tomorrow evening along with giving my sound opinion. :D

·
Registered
953 Posts
jch said:
I received my Infinity 6012si speakers form Crutchfield along with mounting rings and wiring harnesses yesterday. I installed them this evening and I don't know what to do with my new found fidelity. I followed the step by step doccumented I received from Crutchfield tech over the phone. This worked like a charm. I took plenty of pictures for every step. I did have to do some custom work on the rings. I will try to put together something with pictures tomorrow evening along with giving my sound opinion. :D
Did you replace the front and rear door speakers?

What is the size of the OEM speakers front and rear?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I only replaced the fronts for now. They are 6.5" round speakers. I am editing pictures and typing up the install. Hopefully I'll have more time to prepare and post tomorrow. :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
jch said:
I only replaced the fronts for now. They are 6.5" round speakers. I am editing pictures and typing up the install. Hopefully I'll have more time to prepare and post tomorrow. :D
Looking forward to seeing those pictures, I'll be doing an installation soon myself.

·
Registered
275 Posts
BamaRidge said:
Looking forward to seeing those pictures, I'll be doing an installation soon myself.
I just posted my thoughts and pictures on my speaker upgrade experience under:
Front Door speaker Upgrade How-To (pt 1)
Front Door speaker Upgrade How-To (pt 2)

Hopefully this will help. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
198 Posts
jch said:
I just posted my thoughts and pictures on my speaker upgrade experience under:
Front Door speaker Upgrade How-To (pt 1)
Front Door speaker Upgrade How-To (pt 2)

Hopefully this will help. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the pix. It will be a whole lot easier for the rest of us now. Bama

1 - 18 of 18 Posts