Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to remove the OEM GPS and replace it with an aftermarket stereo without messing anything up?
2006 ridgeline RTL

Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Is it possible to remove the OEM GPS and replace it with an aftermarket stereo without messing anything up?
2006 ridgeline RTL

Thank you
Short answer is SURE. If you pull out factory system and replace it with aftermarket, you'll have all the features of the aftermarket system & accessories you've chosen.

But I have a feeling that's not what you are asking. I *think* you are asking if the factory GPS system will integrate with an aftermarket head unit - which I'm going to guess is NOT possible. A factory GPS receiver isn't likely to have an output mechanism (like composite video or common data buss) that an aftermarket device will understand or facilitate. But I'm only guessing. Someone more familiar with Honda electronics may have other information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd like to piggy back off of oxbeast1210's question a bit. I'd prefer the Honda Nav unit gone, it looks old and I can put a double din setup in there that will look much better and give me much more function out of the unit. IE easy backup cam install, bluethooth, android mirror linking, better nav, you know where I'm going. Anyways, I look on crutchfield to get the mounting brackets or even the trim brackets for such an install. I see nothing and they're recommending single dins only. Now my question, mount and trim brackets and possible harness adapters for steering wheel controls, where can I get them? Also, anyone else out there done this? Easy job, any issues I should be aware of? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I'd like to piggy back off of oxbeast1210's question a bit. I'd prefer the Honda Nav unit gone, it looks old and I can put a double din setup in there that will look much better and give me much more function out of the unit. IE easy backup cam install, bluethooth, android mirror linking, better nav, you know where I'm going. Anyways, I look on crutchfield to get the mounting brackets or even the trim brackets for such an install. I see nothing and they're recommending single dins only. Now my question, mount and trim brackets and possible harness adapters for steering wheel controls, where can I get them? Also, anyone else out there done this? Easy job, any issues I should be aware of? Thanks
Double DIN dash kits readily available from Scosche and Metra. Wiring adaptors as well. Search Crutchfield and Sonic Electronix for double DIN devices from the manufacturer with features of your choice. Kits are free from both those vendors - and they probably aren't the only vendors offering free kits with H.U. purchase. Metra Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel control adaptor is super easy install as well.

These items combined with Honda's dash design makes this one of the easiest vehicles in the history of vehicles to work on. Well, maybe the third or fourth easiest... :)

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

This exactly what I want to do. What system are you considering? Are you going to try to keep the stock Sub? Please keep me posted and I'll do the same if I go for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Stock sub will probably be a challenge. I would like to keep it, I'll probably dive into that once I get the headunit and start installing. I settled for Pioneer AVHX5700BHS. Going to do a backup cam as well since I'll have a few things apart.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Stock sub will probably be a challenge. I would like to keep it, I'll probably dive into that once I get the headunit and start installing. I settled for Pioneer AVHX5700BHS. Going to do a backup cam as well since I'll have a few things apart.
The stock sub is unduly criticized, IMNSHO. In lieu of time to complete a custom sub enclosure, I've been running a 9 year old factory sub for over 6 months, pushing the living he!! out of it with a Zapco amp fed by a Pioneer AVH3700BHS. For the price of cables and $100 AMP, the stock sub plays loud, low, flat and satisfies filling in the lowest octave where 6.5" Silver Flutes in the door drop off. There is a long, overly technical thread on this topic. I'll spare you the time of reading through it by making this flat statement: IF you are headed towards adding a sub to your system and IF you have the means ($ & time), connect the stock sub to a decent amp. Push it as hard as you dare. There is little to nothing to lose if you fry the voice coil. You were going to replace it anyway. If your experience is like mine, you won't regret the experiment.

One of these amps is driving the stock sub until other arrangements are made:
STX_Hot.jpg Zapco_STX_Installed_2.jpg

Using a test tone and RTA, it does a fine job of filling in for a more serious sub.

FactorySubFreqSweep.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
I replaced the OEM navigation on my 2009 with a pioneer AVIC 8100NEX. I kept the OEM backup camera and wiring. I too was going to hold onto the OEM sub when I added a an amp a few months ago, but 500 watts was too much for the poor thing and it didn't make it out of the shop. The installer said it probably didn't suffer...

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
500 Watts????? Gonna' host an outdoor concert? That just seems like a lot to me. I'm not a car-audio freak or anything, but that would seem overwhelming for even a large home entertainment system. Maybe I'm just out of date (haven't really looked at serious audio in a few decades). :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts