Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just picked up an 2009 RL, and there are a handful of scratches and scuffs on it. One of them is a huge gash on the drivers side running board (the plastic/rubber surrounding the board is cut). It doesn't look so great, and I'm not a huge fan of the running boards anyways, so I'm planning on removing them.

I've only found 1 thread on removing the running boards which mention putting plugs in the drilled slots (I'll ask my dealer if they have any of these), but am I going to need the special "Rivet Nut tool" to remove the boards? I'm assuming this should be a straight forward un-install.

Also, if anyone ones to buy a set of running boards with some damage on one side let me know. I believe it is salvageable, but I don't care enough for the look to want to fix them. Pics upon request.

Link to thread I've found: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14156

Alex

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
To remove? No. It should be a buncha' either 12mm or 14mm bolts.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
That's right. The rivnut tool is used to install the female mating fasteners for initial installation (fasteners aren't there from the factory). Once they are there, it's just a bolt-on, bolt-off operation, although you want to be sure you use new locking hardware each time (or similar security means).
I removed mine once in the Sierras just to avoid unnecessary damage while off-roading (they are the lowest hanging fruit down there). I just stowed them in the cabin & put them back on for the trip home.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have similar damage on the passenger side. If you find you can't sell the complete running boards I would be willing to buy just the rubber section.

PM me if you are willing to sell.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
That's right. The rivnut tool is used to install the female mating fasteners for initial installation (fasteners aren't there from the factory). Once they are there, it's just a bolt-on, bolt-off operation, although you want to be sure you use new locking hardware each time (or similar security means).

hehehe,
he said female mating.

( I am SO junior high school )

:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts