Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Removing Front Stuck CV Axle / CV Joint

Front Passenger side / Right side:
As I was trying to remove my front right side CV axle, the inner CV axle cup was stuck on the jack shaft. Below are the steps that I took to remove it and complete the task of changing out the CV axle.
1- Remove and clean all the grease from the stuck front passenger CV axle cup
2- Remove the screw from the back of the Vise Grip brand (now Irwin Vise Grip) and install into the slot of the Axle Puller 27032 attachment
....I have other brand vise/locking grips but the original Vise Grip brand has the best gripping teeth IMO)
3- Clamp the vise grip onto the stuck CV axle cup and use a metric allen head wrench(H5) to further tighten the vise grip onto the stuck CV axle
4- Thread the Sliding Hammer tool onto the Axle Puller Attachment
5- Align the Sliding Hammer tool as straight as possible compared to the stuck CV axle cup

I pulled the Sliding Hammer 11 times toward me but the CV axle was still stuck. I then reposition the vise grip to a new spot across from the first place. This time, it took me only 2 pulled before the stuck CV axle came right out.

Front Driver side / Left side:
This side CV axle was also stuck but the inner boot did not separate from the inner CV axle cup. This side has more room for prying between the transmission and the inner CV axle cup. After several hard unsuccessful attempts with different tools (pry bars, large screw drivers, extension bars) in different positions, this CV axle was also stuck. These attempts were so forceful that there were deep gouges and tool marks. I started to worry about the chance cracking the casing of the transmission. So I started to reexamine the area, I then decided to remove the 4 (14mm head) bolts from the subframe brace near my prying area. Once I did this it gave me more room to try to pry the CV axle again and Voila; it popped right out:grin:....by the way Honda recommends replacing the 4 subframe brace once removed. The Sliding Hammer & Axle Puller 27032 attachment can be rented for free at your local auto parts store. The dealership wanted to charge me about $500 per side to do this job.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,331 Posts
Man, nice work. I'll subscribe for future reference...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Re: Removing Front Stuck CV Axle / CV Joint

Wow ... I remember this job.. happened to me, lots of fun... we ended up hammering it out.... would have been nice to have that puller tool around at the time ..

Looks like you did a cleaner job than mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,326 Posts
How difficult was it to remove the axle nut to get the hub out of the way? Great job btw.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How difficult was it to remove the axle nut to get the hub out of the way? Great job btw.
The axle nut was actually pretty easy since I had a 4' 3/4 drive breaker bar. I also used some scrap wooden blocks that I had sitting around to hold/prop up the head of the breaker bar to keep it aligned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts