Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for being lazy, but I did try to look, while on my phone for some posts about this with not much luck, but I'm sure it's there...

So, for those of you who parked your RL due to the airbag issue and are driving rental vehicles, what process did you go through to acquire a rental vehicle? Did you go through the honda help line on the recall notice? Or did you go through a dealership? What hoops did you have to go through to make this happen?

I wasn't too concerned about this but after the latest recall and the fact that the concern is for vehicles over 6-years old, I'm getting concerned. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
I know the major Airbag thread has had this come up several times, most seem to be getting a vehicle thru there dealership, although a few dealers seem to be fighting it, specifically in the North East. I'd start with a dealer your closest to or have a good working relationship. If you need something for towing that seems to be difficult.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Wrenji, first dealer I went to did not want to give me a rental and told me to keep driving my RL, and this is the dealer I bought my truck from. I went to the 2nd dealer because of a transmission leak, while there I asked about the rental and the service writer basically said to keep driving my RL until I told him about the letter from Honda, he called out the service manager who was very nice and polite, set me up at Enterprise to get a vehicle and gave me the letter to sign that I would not drive my RL, he did let me take it back to my garage but I had to record the mileage and give it to him. I then went to Enterprise who I had no problems with, they gave me a 2015 Jeep Cherokee to drive, I had the Jeep for about 2 days when Enterprise called me and said I need to return the jeep because they sold it. When I took the jeep back they gave me a brand new 2016 Dodge Ram Big Horn which I am still driving. I don't think the dealers want to loan out or give people rentals, but if you ask to speak to the service manager and mention the letter from Honda they will.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I called my dealer (the one I bought the pickup from, and where I buy parts and things), said I'd received the letter, and talked with them. I was headed out of town, so I ended up talking with them a couple or few times.

In the end, they set me up with an Enterprise rental. A signed waiver to do with acknowledging the issue, and saying I will not drive the Ridgeline for any reason other than to bring it to the dealer for repair, and that I will not sell it or give control of it to anyone (unless I call and talk to Honda immediately), was required. That _may_ be only because my pickup is at my house, not the dealership.

It was a painless process, and my dealer did actual work to help make sure the process was easy for me.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,588 Posts
My service manager couldn't have been easier to accommodate the replacement vehicle. I also had to sign the waiver to keep my vehicle in my garage. Plus, the dealership didn't want to keep the vehicle there. I had to take a pic of my odometer and send it to them.

What I do is keep a battery maintainer on the RL and crank it up once a week, let it idle with the AC on for about 15 minutes, then drive it about 2 miles and park it again. I hope that running it for a good 20 minutes or so is sufficient to get rid of the condensation that short trips on cold engines generate. I topped off the tank with nonEgas and put some Stabil in it before it was parked originally.

I'm still in the Accord, 5000+ miles later. When in for service this week, I asked about trading for something else because I wanted to try something different. No joy. All their loaners are out on airbag duty. And still no word on when they expect the parts in to fix the airbag.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I dropped by dealership and asked if the fix for the RL was available, to which service manager said no and added it could be a few weeks away due to getting the airbags. He mentioned a free rental was available to me if I wanted one and when I agreed, and signed the waiver ( keeping RL at home and not driving it ) he filled out a purchase order document from Honda Corporation for a rental through Enterprise. I took the RL home ( stopping to get some non ethanol pure gas on the way ) and got a ride back to the dealer at which time he called Enterprise and they came picked me up immediately. At the rental office I presented the PO, got a car ( had choice of truck if I wanted but opted for a new gas sipper ) and was gone in a matter of about 20 minutes. Kudo's to the dealer and Enterprise for making things painless and really simple. Pretty neat little Nissan with about 3k on the clock that gets killer mileage. I also put a automatic charger/floater/maintainer to the RL battery and run it a bit each week. I'm happy but will be glad to get the RL back.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gonna visit my dealership where I've had maintenance done the past nine-years. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
726 Posts
You guys still haven't gotten the airbag recall done? Mine was done 11 months ago! My dealer has a relationship with Enterprise and their policy is to give a free rental to anyone who is getting recall work done or if you are getting a service over $300.

·
Super Moderator
22,588 Posts
There are no parts available. The recall just came out in February 2016 for 2007-2014 RLs.

·
Registered
726 Posts
There are no parts available. The recall just came out in February 2016 for 2007-2014 RLs.

Oohh, I guess they started with the 2006's last year then. BTW, I was googling info for the transfer assembly and randomly found one of your old posts on Piloteers lol. Looks like you are still running your 2006.

·
Super Moderator
22,588 Posts
Yep. That 2006 has nearly 128k miles on it. Had the TB/WP service done at 120k-ish miles. It runs like a champ and I can't pry it outta my wife's hands. ;)

We had the airbag on the 2006 Pilot done a year or so ago as well. I have no clue why the 2006 airbag fix doesn't work for 2007 and up. Honda is paying big bucks for replacement vehicles while we await parts for the fix.

Or maybe the 2006 models will be recalled for another airbag fix as well. I seem to have heard rumblings about that, but don't recall the source.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Yep. That 2006 has nearly 128k miles on it. Had the TB/WP service done at 120k-ish miles. It runs like a champ and I can't pry it outta my wife's hands. ;)

We had the airbag on the 2006 Pilot done a year or so ago as well. I have no clue why the 2006 airbag fix doesn't work for 2007 and up. Honda is paying big bucks for replacement vehicles while we await parts for the fix.

Or maybe the 2006 models will be recalled for another airbag fix as well. I seem to have heard rumblings about that, but don't recall the source.
Speed, I've read several articles on this, the original fix would work, but it would be just placing a "newer" inflator of the exact same type. When "They" (I'm placing, Honda, Takata et all in that group) determined that it was the "ammonium nitrate" was breaking down over time, and not a manufacturing or supplier problem, such as wrong, canister material or change in "process". The determination was that a new design, was required. Honda and others are using alternate sources and have basically placed the inflator "out to bid". AutoLiv, TRW, and Daicel to name a few are suppling parts, but they have to retest and certify these new installations.

Although more expensive, I think they should be pulling and replacing the steering wheels, with completed units, even if they were "refurbishing" the wheels they pull. I'm more confident in my '06 having a "ammonium nitrate" inflator, than this haphazard rush job. IMHO, they should just turn the crap off.

I'll try to post some links to the better articles, and or maybe start a new thread.

2006 Honda Ridgeline Recalls - Cars.com

Recall Number: 15V320000
Recall Date: 05/28/2015
Component: AIR BAGS:FRONTAL:DRIVER SIDE INFLATOR MODULE

Problem Summary: Honda (American Honda Motor Co.) is recalling certain model year 2001-2007 Accord, 2001-2005 Civic, 2001-2004 Honda Civic GX, 2003-2005 Honda Civic Hybrid, 2002-2006 CR-V, 2003-2011 Element, 2002-2004 Odyssey, 2003-2008 Pilot, 2006 Ridgeline, 2003 Acura 3.2CL, 2003-2006 Acura MDX, and 2002-2003 Acura 3.2TL vehicles. The affected vehicles are equipped with a dual-stage driver frontal air bag that may be susceptible to moisture intrusion and other factors, including manufacturing variability that, over time, could cause the inflator to rupture.

Consequence: In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the driver's frontal air bag, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants resulting in serious injury or death.

What Owners Should Do: Honda will notify owners, and dealers will replace the driver frontal air bag inflator, free of charge. The recall began on July 1, 2015. Owners may contact Honda customer service at 1-888-234-2138. Owners may contact Acura customer service at 1-800-382-2238, select option 4. Note: Vehicles that have had their driver frontal air bag replaced previously as part of a recall remedy prior to September 12, 2014 need to have their air bag replaced under this recall as well. Vehicles that, on or after September 12, 2014, received a remedy for a prior driver frontal air bag inflator recall already received an inflator of a different design, and therefore are not included in this recall and do not require additional servicing. Note: This recall fully supersedes recalls 08V-593, 09V-259, 10V-041, 11V-260, 14V-351 and 15V-153.

Read more at 2006 Honda Ridgeline Recalls - Cars.com

From another Thread...
Didn't someone say that the first few inflators that came out were OK, while the next batch was made for South America and didn't have the proper paperwork for North America?
That was stated in several articles online, also some mechanics had no issues with the install, but many complained because internal parts had to be "modified" to fit the new canisters so a review of the process is going on currently.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to Honda Corporate Headquarters after I got my recall notice from Honda. They recorded my issue with a "number" which I then gave to my Dealership. This allowed me to acquire a rental vehicle at not charge. This vehicle is basic transportation and is not a truck. My Ridgeline has been parked at the dealership for over 60 days and there is no schedule repair time. The required parts are not available. Since I left my Ridgeline at the dealership, it has been damaged by at least 2 hail storms. This damage will have to be fixed my me at my expense. I am also responsible for any damage to the rental car. I wish Honda would total my Ridgeline which would allow me to get another truck. You can bet that it wont be a Honda.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
After reading this forum I really must have a great dealer here, Honda of Gainesville, I talked with the General Manager, he told me I could keep it at my home just don't drive it but can move it back and forth to run it and keep from having flat spot on my tires. He sent a car to pick me up ( not the courtesy van ), I'm about 15 miles from dealer, the driver took me to dealership to sign a waiver and to get a PO, then driver took me to Enterprise.... all in all it took about 30 minutes.....

·
Super Moderator
22,588 Posts
Likewise. My service manager has been great about the whole airbag issue.

·
Registered
682 Posts
bobpoe, you might want to fight a bit on the damage, it was on their lot. i made the same argument to my dealer about keeping my rl at home vs their lot, and they said that we would do an inspection that both parties would sign and any new damage would be fixed by them. i still chose to have my baby at home

·
Registered
34 Posts
Local dealer here has been very accommodating as well. Storing it at home as well. Also had to sign an affidavit I wouldn't drive it etc. Wrote down my mileage. What's the logic in not allowing people to drive them? They didn't care how much I drove it before getting the rental car... Also, what's the consequence of driving it? Curious minds want to know. Hah!

·
Registered
682 Posts
whitenoiz: consequence is: you bump another vehicle, your airbag goes floof..... metal flies out and severs your carotid artery...

can open, worms everywhere

Takata airbag deaths

now there are some that say this has never happened in a ridgeline, probably will never happen, and they don't care if it does.... you have to judge for yourself. the waiver is to cover honda if you do drive it, the worst happens, and you turn into a sticky mess in the seat, they can't be sued, because you knew about the potential lethal liability

·
Registered
34 Posts
whitenoiz: consequence is: you bump another vehicle, your airbag goes floof..... metal flies out and severs your carotid artery...

can open, worms everywhere

Takata airbag deaths

now there are some that say this has never happened in a ridgeline, probably will never happen, and they don't care if it does.... you have to judge for yourself. the waiver is to cover honda if you do drive it, the worst happens, and you turn into a sticky mess in the seat, they can't be sued, because you knew about the potential lethal liability
I knew of the obvious consequeses. I don't plan on driving it. I'm not a fan shrapnel killing or blinding me. Having metal sticking out of my my eye socket, that was enough for me let alone becoming the "sticky mess" in the front seat. Whew... That's a good one no doubt. Adding texture to the mental image!

Them not being able to be sued, signing an acknowledgment of knowing of the issue, and them providing an alternative, sounds probable it may protect them in court. I guess that was my more specific question. Legalities etc... Didn't know if they would also try to make you pay for the rental car. Just playing devils advocate. I'm sure others have also thought, "what happens if I go over the noted mileage".

·
Super Moderator
22,588 Posts
You'll have to go over the noted mileage to drive it to the repair station when the parts come in, unless you have it flatbedded.

I don't worry about it. I drive it a few miles a week to keep everything circulating. But I don't use it for any transportation needs. Just drive it enough to thoroughly warm it up and circulate the fluids and rotate the bearings, etc. I keep the battery on a maintainer.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts