Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!
Long time Ridgeline fan and longer Honda fan here.

I just got my 2012 (150,000 miles) back from the dealer with a recall repair ( the fuel tank mounts). Okay good enough. My question is: They also recommended service "SPARK PLUGS AND VALVE ADJUSTMENT" at a cost of $1,175.00. Am I missing something or is that crazy expensive for plugs and a valve adjustment?

·
Registered
06 Ridgeline RT
15 Posts
Hello All!

I just got my 2012 (150,000 miles) back from the dealer with a recall repair ( the fuel tank mounts). Okay good enough. My question is: They also recommended service "SPARK PLUGS AND VALVE ADJUSTMENT" at a cost of $1,175.00. Am I missing something or is that crazy expensive for plugs and a valve adjustment?
Find a new dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
LOL - yeah I guess! I have been using this dealer for a long time and have liked them - but this just sounded crazy.
Dealers are just expensive. At least yours recommended the valve adjust. Mine didn't. With no warranty to worry about, I'd find a good independent Honda Mechanic. Valve adjustment is not something to skip. Honda valves tighten up and this makes no noise and can cost you a valve job or head if they get too tight. I did mine around 175k and one exhaust valve was tight, others close. I did plugs at the same time, they are in there and have access. Sorry but I don't remember the cost but it was not over $500 a couple of yrs ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello All!

Dealers are just expensive. At least yours recommended the valve adjust. Mine didn't. With no warranty to worry about, I'd find a good independent Honda Mechanic. Valve adjustment is not something to skip. Honda valves tighten up and this makes no noise and can cost you a valve job or head if they get too tight. I did mine around 175k and one exhaust valve was tight, others close. I did plugs at the same time, they are in there and have access. Sorry but I don't remember the cost but it was not over $500 a couple of yrs ago.
Thanks Bmwrider, I am seeing elsewhere a lot of discussions about tight valves. I will ask my mechanic about it

·
Registered
566 Posts
Ha! My Yamaha jet ski dealer rate is $168/hour; I no longer have jet skis...
Dealers seem traditionally more expensive but if you find a good one and patronize them sometiems it pays off....both my Dodge Durango and Tundra had free "out or warranty" repairs done by the dealer as "customer outreach" - in the case of the Tundra it was the dreaded "can tower oil leak" - a $5,000 dollar repair job.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,472 Posts
Hello All!

First of all, the spark plugs and valve adjustment should have occurred when you did the timing belt/water pump service at 105k miles. That's the major service interval on these vehicles. There's a lot that goes on at that point. What is the service history on your truck? Have you had it since new?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had my 2013 in for the recall and had similar experience. My total was over $3K estimate for all possible work. While I had done some already they didn’t know about I was kinda taken aback at $495 to replace the spark plugs. I ordered 6 plugs on Amazon for $11 each, purchased a moderately priced smaller torque wrench and replaced them myself in about 1 1/2 hours. Could have done it faster but was being cautious not to drop anything. To get to back plugs use to 3 inch extensions with magnetic socket so you can get to plugs easier. Really isn’t that difficult and there are 3 really good u tube videos to walk you through it. No anti seize with updated plugs which are coated but use some dielectric gel on the boots.

·
Registered
88 Posts
No, stick with your dealer unless an independent Honda mechanic can save you BIG bucks ( let's say a $1,200 savings on a $1,100 job :)). I went the cheap route with both my timing belt and wheel bearings, and ended up having both re-done by my long time, quality Honda dealer within a few thousand miles. Finally got my money back from the "independent", but only after about a 6-month hassle.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
4,308 Posts
No, stick with your dealer unless an independent Honda mechanic can save you BIG bucks ( let's say a $1,200 savings on a $1,100 job :)). I went the cheap route with both my timing belt and wheel bearings, and ended up having both re-done by my long time, quality Honda dealer within a few thousand miles. Finally got my money back from the "independent", but only after about a 6-month hassle.
My local dealer's service departments are incredibly overpriced and are probably more likely to f something up than the better independent shops that have developed a good reputation. On a out of warranty vehicle, going to the dealer only guarantees that you will pay too much.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,472 Posts
I had my 2013 in for the recall and had similar experience. My total was over $3K estimate for all possible work. While I had done some already they didn’t know about I was kinda taken aback at $495 to replace the spark plugs. I ordered 6 plugs on Amazon for $11 each, purchased a moderately priced smaller torque wrench and replaced them myself in about 1 1/2 hours. Could have done it faster but was being cautious not to drop anything. To get to back plugs use to 3 inch extensions with magnetic socket so you can get to plugs easier. Really isn’t that difficult and there are 3 really good u tube videos to walk you through it. No anti seize with updated plugs which are coated but use some dielectric gel on the boots.
Sadly, Amazon is known for selling fake plugs. I got a set of fakes and swore off buying spark plugs from Amazon going forward. I hope your plugs work out well. In my case I had to drive a tow dolly from NC to PA to rescue my daughter when she had car troubles which ended up being the fake plugs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sadly, Amazon is known for selling fake plugs. I got a set of fakes and swore off buying spark plugs from Amazon going forward. I hope your plugs work out well. In my case I had to drive a tow dolly from NC to PA to rescue my daughter when she had car troubles which ended up being the fake plugs.
😱 I hope they don't carry fake tranny and VTM fluids or I'm screwed!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts