Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bored and decided to make a list of all of the repairs made, and parts replaced on my 07. I'm the 2nd owner, but I bought the truck from original selling dealer. I had a friend in the service dept. who gave me a copy of the original owner's repair/maintenance history. This tally does not include normal maintenance (brakes, oil/trans services, rear diff., etc.):

Serp. Belt tensioner- Hondacare
Starter- Hondacare
HVAC blower motor- Hondacare
HVAC blend door motor- Hondacare
Compliance bushings- Hondacare
Front swaybar end links- $44 (for two)
Rear swaybar end links- $36 (for two)
battery- $106
Fuel cap- $23 (failed smog)
Oil cap- $11 (I dropped it)
Fuel door bumpers- $5
Struts (front/rear) $250 (parts only, I installed them)
Strut bearing- $33
Radiator-$130 (preventative maintenance, I installed it)
Upper/Lower rad. hoses- $22
Thermostat- $25
TPMS sensors- $236 (all four)

12 years, 146k miles. I am out of pocket less than $1,000 for things that have broken. This does not include the timing belt/waterpump service, valve adjustment, oil services, brakes, tires, or any other general maintenance costs.

Hope this wasn't the calm before the storm LOL

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ha Ha, no, in my experience, preventative maintenance is just as important as repairing/replacing anything that needs repairing/replacing. The Ridgeline is a pretty solid vehicle, and as long as it is cared for properly it will last a long time.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
When you have to do the valve last adjustment, many gaskets need to be changed and items cleaned.
Motor mounts have to be replaced and you can replace the front and passenger side, but good luck on the rear. Even with the mount that I purchased, the job took the shop around 3 hrs to complete and the entire exhaust was dropped.
When the spool valve gasket goes and you start leaking, they are a pain.
struts will go bad, brake hardware will start to go bad, and the suspension components will start to rot out.
Things will start to reach the end of their service life soon, esp with a vehicle that is 12-yrs old.
I am still baffled that I have 233K+ on the truck and the starter and alternator are both original to the truck. Still cranks right up with no issues. I have to say, that though this is the longest I have ever owned a vehicle, things are robust. Yet again, my dad has 10yr old Honda Fit with similar components still intact, however he barely broke 65K.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, Smurfguy, I forgot. All engine/transmission mounts were replaced under Hondacare a few years ago. Accidentally skipped over that RO while making the list.

Brought the RL to my friend's tire shop yesterday to have the tire pressure sensors installed. Asked them to check the front-end...tie-rod ends, ball joints, compliance bushings, etc. Tech brought me back to show me that there isn't any play in the steering system, and no seepage in the rack or PS pump (yet). Compliance bushings look good, and the ball joints are fine. He asked why I thought there was something wrong...I said "age" and the fact that in total, we've estimated it's been driven 1,000 miles on dirt washboard surfaces (where we camp in the high sierras).

We also have a 98 CRV with 280k+ miles on it...original alternator and fuel pump..in fact, all of the accessories are original. Other than regular maintenance, we've had a failed Ign coil and ignition module, radiator replacement (inc. hoses and thermostat), and a recent rear main/oil pan gasket leak repair. Couple of minor issues like swaybar end links but other than that, It really has been a reliable vehicle. Especially when compared to previously owned 1995 GMC Jimmy. By 120k miles, we had already replaced the alternator (twice, once under GM Protection Plan), fuel pump, intake manifold gasket, poppet valve style fuel injectors (twice (once under factory warranty), AC compressor, water pump, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, lower ball joints (twice, once under GM Protection Plan ), and I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Our Honda's have all been extremely reliable, but I do not have the same level of confidence in their latest generation of vehicles.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Ok if we are going to get tech., I had MUCH less $$ maintenance on my "06" bought in May of "05" then you did and I put a lift on it, back in the day that was a BIG NO NO. Traded it in, in "18"of May got frickin $9000 for it with 136,800 miles on it for a new "19" E, $36,400 out the door, 36,400 - 9000 = do the math. I paid $30,100 for my "06" RTS in 2005, i did do the timing belt, water pump, valves, plugs ect...........The new RL cost me 6 months of retiring sooner, have to be debt free, damn wish I could have kept it and passed it on. I dont understand why the wife turned it down over her 2016 CRV, to me its a much better vehicle just older, good shape paid for and a better vehicle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts