Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I made the mistake of installing a front skid plate on our Ridgeline and taking it into the back country, resulting with damaged front attachment screw points. How difficult will this be to repair?
Thanks,
Bill

· Premium Member
3,772 Posts
I made the same mistake.

While having the dealer do an oil change, I noticed the oil change kid removed the skid plate to drain the oil. When I got home I checked his work and it seemed the front screws were not aligned and the back bolts were not adequately torqued. The front screws seemed not to be able to take much torque and I was concerned about stripping them out. I may remove my skid plate too.

I suggest you check out a part schematic and see if there is any structural component to the screws other than attaching the plastic stuff. If it's structural, my next stop would be a body shop. Maybe the damage is covered by insurance.

· Registered
2020 Sport AWD
294 Posts
Wasn't there another thread discussing this very thing? If memory serves, those nuts internal to that support are only meant for that plastic and have the weakest of tack welds holding them in place. That's why No-Lo switched to the u-bolt setup for the front skid plate. If you want to repair it, my suggestion would be to use rivet nuts. They're inexpensive and easily found on Amazon.

· Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wasn't there another thread discussing this very thing? If memory serves, those nuts internal to that support are only meant for that plastic and have the weakest of tack welds holding them in place. That's why No-Lo switched to the u-bolt setup for the front skid plate. If you want to repair it, my suggestion would be to use rivet nuts. They're inexpensive and easily found on Amazon.
Yes, this has been brought up before, a few speculative ideas for repair have been offered, but a specific repair procedure has not elaborated upon.
Thanks,
Bill

· Registered
2020 Sport AWD
294 Posts
I fully understand how RivNuts work, but are they really appropriate for this repair?
Bill
I don't see why they wouldn't be. It also depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go in disassembling your truck. Personally, I'd go the rivnut route and be done with it.

· Registered
2020 Sport AWD
294 Posts
If that other thread I mentioned is any indication, no one has been down this particular rabbit hole. Also why I said I would just do the rivnut fix and be done with it. Hell, I'm considering doing it as a preventive measure so I don't drag my skid plate due to those OEM weak nuts failing.

· Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If that other thread I mentioned is any indication, no one has been down this particular rabbit hole. Also why I said I would just do the rivnut fix and be done with it. Hell, I'm considering doing it as a preventive measure so I don't drag my skid plate due to those OEM weak nuts failing.
When you do I would greatly appreciate reading about your experience in doing so! (y)
Bill

· Registered
2020 Sport AWD
294 Posts
When you do I would greatly appreciate reading about your experience in doing so! (y)
Bill
I'll be waiting until the spring before I tackle this. In my case, I'll be breaking the OEM ones to do the job. Just curious, with yours, are they rattling around or did they find an exit somewhere on the road?

· Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll be waiting until the spring before I tackle this. In my case, I'll be breaking the OEM ones to do the job. Just curious, with yours, are they rattling around or did they find an exit somewhere on the road?
I can get the screws started, but as I try to tighten the screws they will just spin.
Why will you be breaking screws intentionally?
Bill

· Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I already feel those poorly secured nuts starting to loosen up and would rather nip it in the bud before it becomes a problem.
I could get two of the screws to tighten up enough so to secure the plastic parts they were designed to hold. Otherwise, we have learned our lessons about trying to take our Ridgeline off road so we'll probably just recycle the skid plate for what we can get out of it.

Damn, that sounded pretty whiny, didn't it? Well, that really was not my intent. Especially when it was me that installed the skid plate and was taking our Ridgeline where it really was not designed! ;)
Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts