Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

I have a 2007 RTL w/ Nav and the aux jack, but the aux jack is dying. I believe the contact inside the dash is loose and so the connection goes in & out with each bump in the road.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? What have you done for repairs or modifications? I'd rather not have to open up my dash just to fix this jack.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I think the whole thing just pulls straight out, work it out carefully. The connector behind it would then be disconnected.
Worse case, lower the glove box to give you more room. Connect the new jack to the connector and snap it all back into the dash.
I'm assuming the jack is in the same place for even 07 navi models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

The jack is in the dash just above the glove compartment. Kind of an awkward set-up, really.

I ordered the replacement part, but I'm not sure it's just a matter of working the piece out & replacing. I went to a car audio place locally and asked for a quote - they said roughly the same thing that you did, only they believed that they had to pull out or open up the dash. When the part gets delivered I'll see what I can do before I consider having a professional handle it.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Did you verify that the failure was with different cords and plugs too?

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

The jack is in the dash just above the glove compartment. Kind of an awkward set-up, really.

I ordered the replacement part, but I'm not sure it's just a matter of working the piece out & replacing. I went to a car audio place locally and asked for a quote - they said roughly the same thing that you did, only they believed that they had to pull out or open up the dash. When the part gets delivered I'll see what I can do before I consider having a professional handle it.
Well, I have a shop manual, and that IS how it's replaced. Like lg says, make sure it is bad first. You could still pop it out and check it for a bad connection, just to make sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I verified using two cords and multiple outputs (ipods, cell phones). It is definitely the input jack. The failure was slow & over time: if I could wedge something in to hold the cord just right i wouldn't have an issue, but when I hit a bump or someone moved the cord out of place I lost the connection. After one too many bumps, there just is no "good" place to hold the cord anymore. I was hoping this would hold off just a bit longer so I could have time to research the solution, but no such luck.

rollin' - after your post I went and took a look at the jack a bit closer. i think i can wedge a flathead behind the assembly of the jack & work it out. thanks for being persistent.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Try a 1" (or smaller) putty knife. The wider & thinner blade should have a lower chance of marring anything.

Chip H.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the repair worked: used a small swiss army knife to wedge behind the aux jack assembly & pop it out. it was a bit awkward due to the lack of space, but took no more than 5 minutes.

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Love to hear the fix worked bleedtheburgh!

Curious if you could run an extension to the center console, where Honda should have originally put it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same issue. Did you replace the the whole jack? I need to find out which part number it is and replace mine the same way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yea same here. Mines just shorted out on me a week ago. I thought it was the cable but it appears it has a short. If you hold the wire to the left it will engage Aux function but soon as you let it go it goes back to radio. Any advice on replacing the Aux jack. Does anybody have a part number. Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anyone know if you can get the whole aux assembly? I dont have the aux port but want to install it. I know I can get the port itself, but what about the wire harness to plug into the back of the radio?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Anyone know if you can get the whole aux assembly? I dont have the aux port but want to install it. I know I can get the port itself, but what about the wire harness to plug into the back of the radio?
IIRC, your RT OEM HU is not compatible. Look for aftermarket options.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Another broken AUX port here. 2007 RTL. The AUX port is above the glove box for me. I'm not sure if other models have it on the radio itself or elsewhere.

I leave my audio cable plugged in all the time. It has been plugged in for years now and apparently the contact pin now has warped to where it's not making a proper connection.

Removing the AUX port is easy enough. Access behind the glove compartment in the same way that you would get to the internal air filter. Reach up behind the port and squeeze the sides with your fingers and wiggle it forward. Once it's out, you can detach the green plug connector and then you have the AUX port itself in your hands to tinker with.

Now that I have the AUX jack housing out and disassembled, I am not sure how I am going to fix this. The 2.5mm jack itself is not really serviceable, although I could order a replacement, desolder it from the board, and replace it that way. That would be the *right* way to fix it, but I don't have a replacement jack right now. I would need to order one.

If I knew which contact was failing, I could just reach into the front of the housing and maybe bend it into proper shape, but that won't be easy. Not much to lose though, since it's already broken.

I will probably first try to bend the pins into shape, and then I will also order a replacement 2.5mm jack and some day I'll solder a new one onto the circuit board.

http://www.smk.co.jp/products/detail/Mini_Jacks/?hid=19385&version=en
http://www.smk.co.jp/p_file/35Jacke_20120725.pdf#page=9

The jack is definitely an SMK, but I'm not sure of the model yet. It looks like it's a LGS6507-1300F. See the above links.

It might not be worth my time to tinker with this. I will call a Honda parts place tomorrow and I can probably get the entire AUX housing and jack replacement for $20-$40.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Another broken AUX port here. 2007 RTL. The AUX port is above the glove box for me. ...........

It might not be worth my time to tinker with this. I will call a Honda parts place tomorrow and I can probably get the entire AUX housing and jack replacement for $20-$40.
Looks about right. See item 3 below........

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey, thanks for that info, Dnick! Looks like I need the "39114-SJC-A01ZB" part, since I have the dark gray interior.

I'm looking online right now (no dealer in my entire state has this part, which is not a suprise), and the part is going to run me $30-$40.

OR....

DIP 3.5mm headphone jack PJ338 caliber
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIP-3-5mm-headphone-jack-PJ338-caliber/954775897.html
UPDATE: These are garbage, don't buy.

This appears to be the same jack, though it's not an SMK brand, for $3.00 shipped. However, I have to wait a week or two for delivery from China.

I tried looking for the SMK jack at a variety of dealers for electronic components, but didn't find anything.

What I am going to do is order a dozen of them. If anyone in the future is reading this and you need a replacement jack and are willing to get out the soldering iron, send me a message. You can Paypal me a dollar and I can mail you a replacement jack.

Will update in a few weeks when the replacements come in.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Hey, thanks for that info, Dnick! Looks like I need the "39114-SJC-A01ZB" part, since I have the dark gray interior.

I'm looking online right now (no dealer in my entire state has this part, which is not a suprise), and the part is going to run me $30-$40.

OR....

DIP 3.5mm headphone jack PJ338 caliber
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIP-3-5mm-headphone-jack-PJ338-caliber/954775897.html

This appears to be the same jack, though it's not an SMK brand, for $3.00 shipped. However, I have to wait a week or two for delivery from China.

I tried looking for the SMK jack at a variety of dealers for electronic components, but didn't find anything.

What I am going to do is order a dozen of them. If anyone in the future is reading this and you need a replacement jack and are willing to get out the soldering iron, send me a message. You can Paypal me a dollar and I can mail you a replacement jack.

Will update in a few weeks when the replacements come in.
I should have mentioned!!!! I looked up my '06 VIN# to get the parts list above (at least I think that's what I did). I don't know if the '07 interior colors were the same as '06, but you might want to look up the '07 p/n just to be sure. Can't hurt to verify.
:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I should have mentioned!!!! I looked up my '06 VIN# to get the parts list above (at least I think that's what I did). I don't know if the '07 interior colors were the same as '06, but you might want to look up the '07 p/n just to be sure. Can't hurt to verify.
:)
I called some dealers today and that seemed to be the correct part for a 2007, and I don't remember an interior color change. Thanks for looking out for me though!

Even if the color is wrong, it's trivial to take the little connector bit out of the housing and swap it. It's not like I broke the housing, it's just the jack inside, and that can be removed and replaced by disassembling the housing, which is not too hard.

I just ordered the jacks from AliExpress, so they should be here in 2-4 weeks. I'll probably also order the Honda replacement part since I don't want to wait that long.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I got those replacement jacks in the mail today. They are cheap junk. Not as pictured or described. So, don't bother.

It only cost me $5 to try, so no loss.

They might be functional, but I don't trust them. I already have a real replacement that I got from a scrap yard anyway.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts