Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 with 206K miles and am trying to be proactive with some preventative maintenance since I am planing to get to 300K.

I imagine it has been taxed quite a bit with nine Northern Ohio Winters, but does not really need one now.

Would it make any sense to just go ahead and replace it now before it leaves me stranded somewhere?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You "shouldn't" end up stranded.... at least not from alternator alone. If you lose charge from your alternator, you should get a warning light on the dash, and should have plenty of juice to get you where you are going (you more "modern" mechanics correct me if there's some newer electronic issue that precludes this). I wouldn't do it until it failed.... but it certainly won't hurt to put a new one in there, if that suits your fancy! :)
Now if you have a bad (old or defective) battery, well then that's a different story (you could indeed get stranded if the battery won't hold a charge).

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,046 Posts
I foolishly replaced mine a few years ago when I thought a bad whining noise was the alternator. Turns out it was just the PS pump making noise due to worn-out fluid. If I would have known that at the time, I never would have replaced my alternator. I have no doubt that it would still be going strong had I not replaced it. I wouldn't even worry about it to tell you the truth.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
as a data point -

the alternator on my 2006 lasted til a little over 380,000 miles -

YMMV.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,046 Posts
as a data point -

the alternator on my 2006 lasted til a little over 380,000 miles -

YMMV.
Did you end up replacing it before your ol' girl went on her way? Or did the new owner say he would replace it?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Did you end up replacing it before your ol' girl went on her way? Or did the new owner say he would replace it?
I did not - guy who bought it fixes vehicles and flips them - truck was towed out of my garage - it had been sitting there since November since the alternator died -

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well I already replaced the radiator - not by choice... But, I need to check the second one I guess...

I do fell better about the alternator now.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Unless you think it's going out, and you're out in the Tundra where you'd be stranded, I'd keep running it until it starts to give you problems. I haven't heard much about alternators going out on this site very often, but doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Just a thought, you could use the same argument for several components that you think "might" go bad, and your list could grow, especially with the mileage you have on your RL.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Every once in awhile a thread comes along that I can speak to directly. My alternator went out on my 2007 RTS at about 95k (just after the extended warranty lapsed, no surprise :)).

But first, let me tell you about when my alternator went out on my old F150 about 30-40 miles East of Las Vegas... Twice. In both of those cases as the charge indicator slowly dropped I was able to drive all the way to 'Vegas and hit the NAPA and replace the alternator (I always carry tools on road trips). Note that I was able to drive over 30 minutes and miles after the alternator died.

Not so with the Ridgeline.

A barely perceptible whine had developed in the RL before the failure, maybe a month or two before. It was associated with engine speed, not road speed so I suspected something driven by the belt. A mechanic's stethoscope couldn't conclusively pinpoint the problem. So at that point in time I made the decision to drive it until things became worse and therefore definitive.

Part way into work one morning there was a brief howl settling back into a louder, but not a bad whine accompanied by the charge indicator coming on. I guess I found my problem. Hey, work's only about 5 miles away and the F150 ran for at least 30 miles, I'll drop the GF at work and head back home and fix it. As I approached work, I started noticing that I really had to get my foot into the accelerator to get any kind of power. Dropped the GF off, turned around and that's when the dash lit up like a Christmas tree.

Performance dropped to the point that I had to floor it to drive at about 5mph. Parked the RL in the work parking lot and called AAA for a tow back to the house.

Moral of the story: Your alternator goes out and you have 5 miles and/or 15 minutes of driving left in an RL, period.

Roak

Ps. Replacement isn't that difficult, just time consuming and it's pretty tight in there and it took some extensive maneuvering to get the new alternator in place.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
The alternator went out on our Pilot at ~93k miles. I drove it about 6 miles to the shop without issue. It had developed a whine about a year prior, but seemed stable... so I continued to drive it to the point of failure.... which just happened to be when we were pulling out of the garage to leave on a family vacation. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Every once in awhile a thread comes along that I can speak to directly. ...........

Moral of the story: Your alternator goes out and you have 5 miles and/or 15 minutes of driving left in an RL, period.

Roak

Interesting experience Roak.... and good precautionary advise for the rest of us. Maybe our RL has some more "voltage sensitive" critical components.
But on the other hand, it occurs to me that when an alternator goes out on us, THIS is the time that the quality/condition of our battery is most harshly tested / revealed. If you had an older battery for instance, THAT could be the reason you only got 5 minutes once you weren't getting a steady "recharge" from your alternator. I'm just sayin'..... maybe??

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
There are tests for most anything that might fail. Might cost a few bucks to have it run but peace of mind is everything. IF anything is about to fail you are saving nothing by ignoring it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you had an older battery for instance, THAT could be the reason you only got 5 minutes once you weren't getting a steady "recharge" from your alternator. I'm just sayin'..... maybe??
Good point; I should have mentioned that I had proactively replaced the battery before a road trip about 2, maybe 3 years ago at the outside.

Roak

1 - 16 of 16 Posts