Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Ridgeline and do a lot of driving on country roads and interstate. I would like to replace my headlights bulbs with LED (my perception is that they will be brighter). I was wondering if anyone with same year tried this out? Did it make a difference?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I know there're a lot of leds out there. But I put PIAA EXTREME WHITES in my 2010 RTL and have been very happy. My only problem with replacement leds for headlights is do they really project correctly. There has been some talk about that. Even PIAA has them. Report out on what you get. I have been trying to find out more about the PIAAs myself. But won't move untill I'm sure they'll work correctly.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm using Led's and I feel they are superior to my cars with factory HIDs. Further,I had aftermarket HIDs in the RL and oncoming traffic occasionally flashed. When I have to drive at night the RL is my first choice.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm running led's but am getting ready to back to halogens. I'm using the Phillips Luxon high priced stuff. The low beams are great, seemingly brighter and a well formed beam. The high beams are almost worthless, scattered and dim. I went with cheapy fleabay led's first and had scattered light and annoyed other drivers. After doing a fair amount of studying, I got led's with built-in shades to cut off the top of the low beam to keep from blinding oncoming drivers. I think the problem lies with the high beam led's being positioned further back on the bulb and not reflected correctly. You'll notice the filaments on halogens are very close together to reflect about the same from the light bucket. Summarily, I thing replacement led's for halogens is a bad gimmick unless replacing the whole light fixture with one designed for led's.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have heard that leds don't reflect or project well in lenses designed for halogen.
I run PIAA EXTREME PLUS pure white in my G1. No complaints. And I am a led guy. But not in headlights. ?
I have heard that PIAA and others have a(tune-able ) led for (older vehicles).? I may try them some time in the future

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
I used to run the PIAA Extreme Whites for a number of years, but after a while the replacement costs were getting a bit too much. I researched around, and found that Phillips made an H4 drop in LED replacement. I took the plunge and imported a set. It was specifically designed to emulate the optics of reflector-based halogens, and there are a number of reviews around the web. Phillips mades other drop-in LEDs for rear tails and fog lights, and some of them have undergone proper testing in a variety of vehicle to certify they meet safety specs. Not all vehicles are tested, so their use is between you and 108 FMVSS.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

My thoughts are that they are very well designed, and the beam pattern is actually on par with the OEM halogens. There is a solid cutoff, little scatter if any, and appear to perform as an OEM halogen - just with whiter light. It takes some time to get used to the higher color temp, but so far I've been very happy with them. The box says 6200K, but in person it looks somewhere between 4300 and 5000. My Turns are 5000K, and have a bit more of a blue hue than the Philips bulbs. It is brighter? Well, yes and no...it is likely perceived as a bit 'brighter' because of the color, but I think that the beam still covers the same area/spots as the OEMs did. For a perceived brightness sanity test, take three Phillips household LED bulbs (Warm White, Bright White and Daylight versions) of the same wattage and swap them into your front porch light. You'll see that all of their output/illumination area will be similar, but the daylight version will appear harsher/brighter to the eye since it pushes more towards the blue spectrum.

The only negative so far is that since they are LED, there is far less heat and during the winter there's a good change that ice/slush could accumulate on the lenses and need to be wiped off. With OEM halogens, I would occasionally get flashed for some reason, but since the swap all has been quiet - which I did not expect. The other downside is that they are far from cheap; Phillips obviously spent time and money on engineering, and this appears to be reflected in the cost of the units. The 3 year warranty is nice though, and the lack of a fan or some other gizmo to address thermal management seems to me to add some credibility to the product.

I would suggest reading some reviews and technical data on these and use that to help decide whether they might be worth your consideration.

Cheers,
YW84U

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,139 Posts
I have not had luck with LED headlights, though I purchased a $120 units. They were some cheap crap (contrary to the price) and LED retrofit has long since gotten better. Two days ago, I saw a video of HR (Headlight Revolution) testing some popular brands and the GTR LED bulbs trumped everything, especially for maintaining the OEM spread pattern with only wider spread. It Trumped the Philips in light output.

https://gtrlighting.com/gtr-lighting-gen-3-ultra-series-led-headlight-bulbs-h4-9003/ is the one for the Ridgeline. For the Price, I would consider doing a full projector retrofit using HIDs. I will say that projectors are far superior than the existing reflector with LEDs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
For the Price, I would consider doing a full projector retrofit using HIDs. I will say that projectors are far superior than the existing reflector with LEDs.
Is there a DIY written up for doing this retrofit?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I can write one up for you with nice pictures :smile:
That would be awesome! About how much did it cost for you to do overall, not including the bulbs?

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
My two cents..

Go to xenondepot and pickup one of their H4 HID kits. I bought one for my highlander and it's amazing. HID's are great options for headlights and highbeams.

You won't regret buying from that company.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,139 Posts
That would be awesome! About how much did it cost for you to do overall, not including the bulbs?
It is hard to say how much the cost is without the bulbs (bulbs, ignitor, wiring, relays, & ballasts) as I got the Morimoto kit that had all of that and the shrouds & Projectors. I bought the new headlight housing as well so I did not have a downtime while I took my time to get this done.

The headlight (OE Replacement) itself cost me $135 shipped (now $175). The price was for a pair and I believe it was TYC brand. The projectors alone cost $130 so you can essentially get the projectors and the headlight housing for around $300.00.

For me, the headlight housing ($135), The retrofit kit with projectors, bulbs, relay, ignitors, headlight sealant, and ballasts cost me $290.00 So the project itself cost me $425.00.

Give me a week or so, so I could put this together and send it to you.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have the high performance PIAA LED headlight bulbs and they are phenomenal. I love them so much that I got a set for our '05 Odyssey as well. Much brighter and better color too (IMO).

1 - 20 of 58 Posts