Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the RL, but am not using the bed as much and can use three row seating once and a while. Plus I have a nice utility trailer for big jobs. How does the gen 2 mdx compare to the RL. Nice to drive, good space? Gas mileage?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a 2007 Ridgeline and my wife drives a 2012 MDX Tech. No comparison really. The Acura rides better, handles better, better interior, less road noise, does not seem as big inside but I never ride in the back seats! The 3rd row seats are somewhat cramped but useable for kids or adults (if you don't have a long drive). We use the 3rd row seats maybe 1-2 times a month and it is fine. The cargo space when the seats are down is pretty good. Not quite as big as our old Pilot (2008) but comparable.

The Acura does take PREMIUM gas but the mpg is a little better (maybe 3-4 mpg average). I'm not sure if you do your own maintenance/repairs but the Acura will cost a little more. It's really comparing apples to oranges, they have almost nothing in common except the manufacturer.

Just as a side note, we were originally looking for a loaded 2014-2015 Pilot but many of the Acura MDX's were selling for the same price (or less) with more features and better overall quality. This was in August of 2015 and now with the new 2016's coming out the 2nd generation MDX's are priced to sell. Stay away from the MDX Advance, it has real problems with the adaptive suspension. I would also go with an ACURA CERTIFIED vehicle if you can; it comes with some extra benefits and these are usually low mileage leased vehicles or vehicles that were purchased and traded in before the mileage/year limits are reached on the factory warranty.

If you are seriously looking at an MDX then check these forums out:
Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
It is not quite as active as this forum but it has great information that will help steer you in the right direction.

Acura Care extended coverage beyond the original warranty
This is extended warranty information.

Respond or PM me if you want more information. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,586 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Wooo-Hoooo!!!! First the NSX and now the MDX have ditched the damned turtle-beak grill !!! Accura builds some great vehicles with lots of great features, but I've always hated the damned grills. Congrats to Accura for passing the award for ugliest grill design to Lexus.

Attachments

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,586 Posts
I find the Lexus grill beyond ugly. I'm not sure what comes after ugly. Plaid?

Just sayin'. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Was gonna get the wife an Acura a few years back but the newer ones were so ugly neither of us could stand them, by the time we went to before the "beak" nose she felt they were too old...

Reactions: coolbob

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
The backlash that Acura got just for it's grille does not seem to be the same with Lexus. That Lexus grille is hideous.

Reactions: coolbob

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 2007 Ridgeline and my wife drives a 2012 MDX Tech. No comparison really. The Acura rides better, handles better, better interior, less road noise, does not seem as big inside but I never ride in the back seats! The 3rd row seats are somewhat cramped but useable for kids or adults (if you don't have a long drive). We use the 3rd row seats maybe 1-2 times a month and it is fine. The cargo space when the seats are down is pretty good. Not quite as big as our old Pilot (2008) but comparable.

The Acura does take PREMIUM gas but the mpg is a little better (maybe 3-4 mpg average). I'm not sure if you do your own maintenance/repairs but the Acura will cost a little more. It's really comparing apples to oranges, they have almost nothing in common except the manufacturer.

Just as a side note, we were originally looking for a loaded 2014-2015 Pilot but many of the Acura MDX's were selling for the same price (or less) with more features and better overall quality. This was in August of 2015 and now with the new 2016's coming out the 2nd generation MDX's are priced to sell. Stay away from the MDX Advance, it has real problems with the adaptive suspension. I would also go with an ACURA CERTIFIED vehicle if you can; it comes with some extra benefits and these are usually low mileage leased vehicles or vehicles that were purchased and traded in before the mileage/year limits are reached on the factory warranty.

If you are seriously looking at an MDX then check these forums out:
Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
It is not quite as active as this forum but it has great information that will help steer you in the right direction.

Acura Care extended coverage beyond the original warranty
This is extended warranty information.

Respond or PM me if you want more information. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info.
If anything I would be looking older, around 2008-2011. The only real option is the sport adaptive suspension. You would not recommend this?

Also how do you think the MDX would do towing near max, (4.5k lbs).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks for the info.
If anything I would be looking older, around 2008-2011. The only real option is the sport adaptive suspension. You would not recommend this?

Also how do you think the MDX would do towing near max, (4.5k lbs).

Haven't looked at this in a while.... Sorry! I really don't think the sport adaptive suspension is worth the cost; however, I know there have been issues with it. As for towing, I don't know because I have not used it for towing. I saw a couple MDX's towing motorcycle and wave runner trailers but nothing close to 4.5k lbs. If you want to go with a Gen.2 I would say the '12 is the best year with the '13 second best. I would get the newest, best condition,
with least mileage possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts