Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, ROC. I'm going to defer to you guys on this one. As I've mentioned in other posts, this forum is one of the most helpful I've ever been a member of.

I have a 2007 RT. I installed Infinity tweeters, as suggested by other threads, and there was a definite improvement. Later today, UPS is delivering a new head unit (Sony wx-gt90bt that I got a good deal on), which I'm installing tonight. While I won't be surprised if there is a decent improvement there, the stock speakers get, well, farty on the bass. So, I'm considering my next move:

1. Replace the door speakers (front first) and see how much that improves things.

2. Add something like a Kenwood KSC-SW11 (150w powered compact sub) under one of the front seats.

As far as option 2 or other subs go, I'm only considering self-powered subs that can either fit under one of the front seats (the Kenwood can) or, less ideally, behind the back seat. I am constantly using the rear cargo area under those seats, so that's out, and I can honestly say that I'm not so much of a car audio enthusiast that I want to install amps and component systems. Keeping it simple tends to keep it (relatively) inexpensive, and that's good enough for me. Between my two year old and guitar habit, I've got enough other places to hemorrhage money.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Hey, ROC. I'm going to defer to you guys on this one. As I've mentioned in other posts, this forum is one of the most helpful I've ever been a member of.

I have a 2007 RT. I installed Infinity tweeters, as suggested by other threads, and there was a definite improvement. Later today, UPS is delivering a new head unit (Sony wx-gt90bt that I got a good deal on), which I'm installing tonight. While I won't be surprised if there is a decent improvement there, the stock speakers get, well, farty on the bass. So, I'm considering my next move:

1. Replace the door speakers (front first) and see how much that improves things.

2. Add something like a Kenwood KSC-SW11 (150w powered compact sub) under one of the front seats.

As far as option 2 or other subs go, I'm only considering self-powered subs that can either fit under one of the front seats (the Kenwood can) or, less ideally, behind the back seat. I am constantly using the rear cargo area under those seats, so that's out, and I can honestly say that I'm not so much of a car audio enthusiast that I want to install amps and component systems. Keeping it simple tends to keep it (relatively) inexpensive, and that's good enough for me. Between my two year old and guitar habit, I've got enough other places to hemorrhage money.

Thanks in advance!
Great questions. You'll likely get several different opinions so FWIW my feedback is prefaced by a qualification. IF the choice is between adding the sub you mentioned vs. upgrading the door speakers, the answer is very simple in my mind. GO FOR THE SUB.

If the choice is which to do first, I still suggest sub first. Setting aside level of installation effort and details about where to tap power sources (ETC), you'll get the biggest return on $ and time/effort invested. IMO: the door speakers would offer only a small increase in sonic improvement when compared to adding the sub as a stand alone upgrade.

Having said that, I have no idea about the quality of the sub you have selected but I would say that Kenwood has a historic name brand to protect and rarely introduces ineffective products to the market. With that in mind, it is a safe assumption the unit you mentioned will be a decent value and add to your listening enjoyment.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! It wouldn't be much hassle to install that sub, especially under the front seat. I'm kind of thinking that since the upgraded tweeters handle the highs and a new sub sound tackle the lows, the door speakers would be basically just low mids/mids, which they can probably be passable with. So, basically, I think you're probably right!

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Yah. If you new tweets are being fed by the factory head & sound good, they are about to come alive with the new device. Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
The head unit has 7 EQ bands and and a High Pass filter you can use to prevent your factory speakers from farting.

This alone will improve the sound if you tune if properly besides the 5 extra watts per channel

The sub, will be a choice I would make after I install the HU and tune it properly, you may hear a significant improvement just changing the head unit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I got the Sony, and while I love having better options for music (streaming, Spotify, etc.), I'm not very happy with the HU itself. The iPod integration is very clunky, iPhone via USB is glitchy, and the Bluetooth streaming is pretty low quality in comparison. So I think I'll try a Pioneer unit and go from there. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
The single DIN pioneers are not too appealing, a double din touch screen DVD may be a better option, if not too concerned about Audio, No need for 700 series, I've been hearing issues about, people hating not having a volume knob, and a couple of other issues, but still a good value at $270.

These Alpines offer the app for simple tuning with the phone, their 4 V RCA's are actually 4.5 plus volts, 9 band parametric EQ and active 2 way crossover and sub capable, if considering bi amping a 2 way front, and no rear speakers for a nice front stage.

Maybe not very appealing with their 90's computer font, but always offering good SQ you can count on, and good iPhone ipod menus and searching

They may be found cheaper from sonixelectronics
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDE164B/Alpine-CDE-164BT.html?tp=5684

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500W265BT/Alpine-CDE-W265BT.html?tp=5684#AudioSection

·
Registered
281 Posts
I put a 6" powered bazooka sub behind the drivers side, rear back seat. Its a tight fit but it will work. I too did not want anything on the floor under the rear seat (good for laying the rifles there). the 6" sub made a hug difference, best 150$ spent. I upgraded the head unit to a pioneer touch screen, new tweeters and new door speakers, no amp. Stereo sounds great! The only issue I have is the am/fm reception sucks on aftermarket radios.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips! I ordered a Pioneer AVH270BT--the price to features ratio was very solid. It'll be here tomorrow, so I'll break out my soldering iron and get started!

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,078 Posts
I'd highly suggest the 6" Bazooka tube over any of the "flat" sub/amp combo things. The Bazooka will give you the best bang for the buck and will be totally out of sight. My other recommendation is to run RCA cables and a turn-on wire back to where the sub would be when you install the new head unit. That will prevent you from having to rip it all apart again when you get a sub. I had one HU in my life that wasn't a Pioneer and it was a Sony. The only reason I had it is because I worked, for a short time, at a Sony outlet store and got the HU for a ridiculously good price. It was nice, but it was very finicky and not all that well-made. I have had only Pioneer since and haven't looked back. The upgraded tweeters, new HU and new Bazooka should be more than enough new equipment to make your sound system really satisfying. You need to make sure you properly tune the head unit, though. That's the key.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! The Pioneer HU is great--everything I need and nothing I don't. Instead of gimmicky graphics and customizable colors, it has great sound and easy to use interfaces. Way better than the Sony.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts