Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I have the Honda dealership replace the radiator, would the radiator they install be just like the one currently installed? That is to say that it would eventually have the same rusting issues. If so, and I have to go with an aftermarket radiator, is there any quality difference between the brands? It seems like Spectra is the most common replacement. Is the best option?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I don't have first hand experience, but I think it's been well covered here. You could buy a Spectra radiator and take it to your mechanic and avoid the dealer. You may want to consider doing the antifreeze and tranny fluid changes at this point. You would need to purchase Honda Trans fluid and antifreeze, you can use after mkt fluids but I'd stick with OEM especially with the trans; don't forget new crush washers for Trans. This is my two cents. I've done plenty of fluid changes on my truck, not a radiator yet, but anticipate it in a few years.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
......... if you take it to a "non-Honda" mechanic, and you are having the coolant replaced; be sure to point out to him that there is a bleed valve on the rear of the block on the passenger side. There is a LOT of "trapped" fluid that comes out of this port..... seemed to me to be nearly as much as came out from the radiator itself. If he does not know about this, you'll end up with a significant amount of old fluid mixed with the new.
Speedlever posted a nice picture of this drain valve in another post here somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do the current ridgeline radiators, such as the ones in the 2014, still have the washer of dissimilar metal that rusts? If so, when I replace the radiator then I would definitely eant to you an aftermarket radiator. If Honda has corrected the problem then the Honds radiator would be an option.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
The problem is the 2006-2008 models have a design which Honda did not feel the need to improve. So although a new radiator it would be the old design. And I have not heard of a 2009-2014 needing a replacement the have a different design because it is a different part number when ordering a replacement.

I chose to replace mine because I had ran a fluid test on the ATF, and the test revealed coolant in the ATF. I had tests done by LabOne, but Blackstone Labs can also run these tests.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts