Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
I did mine about 5 years ago and got a set of 6 from Amazon for around $55. Honda charging almost triple that amount per plug is absurd.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, the part numbers for the OEM NGK plugs have been known for a very long time now. No one in their right mind is going to pay $22 per plug when they're less than $10 each on Amazon, Rockauto or any number of other sources. I hope you are an individual contributing member here as this post reads very suspiciously as an ad of some sort.
I see others putting up links as well. I'm just trying to help out. The ones on Amazon don't really give warranty specifics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 2006 RTL and same thing happens to me went to replace plugs and they were loose even torquing with torque wrench.

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
^^ Yes. The 09-14 plugs do seem to be less expensive than the 06-08 plugs for some reason. The IZFR5K11 plugs are $45-50 at the cheapest for a set of six even on eBay. Nonetheless, it's not a lot of money for a part that is replaced only a few times over the life of the truck. I'm still easily 30-40k miles away from my second plug and timing belt change.

·
Registered
37 Posts
^^ Yes. The 09-14 plugs do seem to be less expensive than the 06-08 plugs for some reason. The IZFR5K11 plugs are $45-50 at the cheapest for a set of six even on eBay. Nonetheless, it's not a lot of money for a part that is replaced only a few times over the life of the truck. I'm still easily 30-40k miles away from my second plug and timing belt change.
They appear to have dropped quite a bit as I find many vendors on ebay selling a set of 6 oem NGK plugs in both the ILZKR7B11 as well as IZFR5K11 configurations for under $20 shipped now... im trying to figure out what the difference is for the 2007 ridgeline I just purchased with 148k on it.

I'm reading now that theres a large amount of counterfeit ngks on ebay.

·
Super Moderator
6,955 Posts
They appear to have dropped quite a bit as I find many vendors on ebay selling a set of 6 oem NGK plugs in both the ILZKR7B11 as well as IZFR5K11 configurations for under $20 shipped now... im trying to figure out what the difference is for the 2007 ridgeline I just purchased with 148k on it.

I'm reading now that theres a large amount of counterfeit ngks on ebay.
The money saved DIY, buy quality and do it once and do it right!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah apparently theres a HUGE amount of fake NGK plugs on amazon and ebay and theres been reports that they either wear very fast due to inferior electrodes and some fall apart damaging engines... The more I read about it and watched you tube videos the less important that extra $30 is..

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Yeah apparently theres a HUGE amount of fake NGK plugs on amazon and ebay and theres been reports that they either wear very fast due to inferior electrodes and some fall apart damaging engines... The more I read about it and watched you tube videos the less important that extra $30 is..
Yes. I'm sure that's the case. Bottom line, if you're paying less than, say, $7-8 per plug for what is advertised as an NGK iridium product, you may want to be suspicious. I have no problem paying $50-60 for a full set of six plugs that last for 100k miles or more.

·
Registered
850 Posts
There’s a huge amount of either fake or likely ‘seconds’ or defective EVERYTHING on flea bay. I like to buy from my dealer and my local auto parts store.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There’s a huge amount of either fake or likely ‘seconds’ or defective EVERYTHING on flea bay. I like to buy from my dealer and my local auto parts store.
True..sometimes its graymarket for another country market or seconds, you have to pay attention to what your buying there.. They also have some of the best deals on good products so its really up to the consumer to do their homework with things like this. I have over 2,500 purchases in the last 20 years and only 2 negative experiences from ebay myself.
I in the case of the fake plugs though, they often do not have the correct length of copper or any copper used inside the electrode (not the tip) which can cause them to wear very quickly and even explode. Ive decided to purchase these from Rockauto myself.. you can measure the resistance with a multimeter as Ive seen on a youtube video which will show you if they are poor quality fakes or real. NGK has also released public service announcements on thier website about this.. apparently its a big problem for them recently.

·
Super Moderator
22,861 Posts
This would certainly explain the mystery spark plug failure in my daughter's 2009 Corolla.

She had a coil pack go bad on #4 cylinder at 115k miles (4/2018). Replaced the coil pack and installed 4 new Densos (bought from Amazon several months earlier in anticipation of the change). Drove 15k miles and had to replace #4 coil pack again (3/2019). Drove 10k miles and had another issue with cylinder #4 (10/2019).

This time I had to drive from NC to PA and tow her home. Tried to talk my daughter through another coil pack replacement remotely, but the coil pack separated during removal and left part on the plug, unknown to us in the dark. Attempts to put the new coil pack on failed, ergo the rescue trip.

My local shop found the spark plugs extremely worn to the point we wondered if they'd ever been replaced. But the ceramic insulators still looked pretty fresh without the typical heat discoloration you see after they've been in service for a while, so we concluded they had indeed been changed... which left a mystery as to how/why Denso iridiums could have possibly gone bad in so few miles.

And so now, perhaps we know the rest of the story... as Paul Harvey would have said. Fake plugs is the only thing that makes any sense.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
^^ Makes sense to me. Guess I'll only be purchasing plugs from either my local auto parts store or from RockAuto from now on.

·
Super Moderator
22,861 Posts
^^ Makes sense to me. Guess I'll only be purchasing plugs from either my local auto parts store or from RockAuto from now on.
Absolutely. This has changed my buying habits... at least for spark plugs. And I just installed a new set (from Amazon) in my old beater Civic too. No great loss there if they go bad early as it stays pretty much local. But still..

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you have a multi meter like the ones from Harbor freight you can measure the ohms reading from the tip to the electrode.. I'm not sure what the exact reading of this model plug should be but you can compare to one from local auto store for price of mind.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts