Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My key is broken in my remote control. So I purchased a new key/remote. However, how do I get my key out of the old remote that is broken and put it into the new remove?

See attached image. Key at top is broken. Bottom is new remote. I want to put the key from the top remote into the new remote on bottom. How do I do this? They charge $120 to cut the key. I don't need a new key cut. I just need the existing key to automagically transport itself into the new remote backing.

Attachments

·
Registered
998 Posts
If the transponder had already been switched from old to new then only thing you need at this point is to have the shank cut to your key code. Dealer or locksmith needs Vin to get the cut code a ND cut it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm trying to avoid $120 to cut a the key which is a "RIP off". If they key has to be cut, it's $120. The key I have is fine..it's just the metal is broken off the plastic housing. So no-one has figured out how to make and sell a key backing that lets you finish breaking the old key out of the old remote and stick it into the new plastic??? When I call a locksmith, they charge same as the dealer...$120 and they program the remote which took me all of 5 seconds...and they do the transponder, which I can remove and insert into the new housing in about 10 seconds.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Ok, the price they are giving sounds like the price of a new key with cut and programing. Did they tell you you had to bring truck in also ? Tell them you have an aftermarket key you need cut . Not a whole key. $10.00?
On second thought what year is the RL? Earlier year the transponder for the immobilizer is a separate chip then the button one. I just looked at your pic again. The second chip is on the left poo for the hole near the shank. That I'm told can be transferred, but not easily. And no, once you sepperate the metal from the plastic you just have really broken key.
I should ask why you say your key is broken? The pic shows the key is OK, except the back is missing. What actually happened?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, I tried everything...
They said they can't cut an after market key. They said if you get it cut somewhere else, they can do it for $100. The transponder is there under a small piece of plastic. Everything is there. All I need is for the key to be cut...which should cost about $10-15. However, no one will do it....because they all want the "cream".

The plastic piece holding the key in - is broken. So the key is hanging on by a thread. It still works but I need to fix it. I'm thinking about getting the dremel tool out and figuring a way to cut a puzzle piece of the key out and then gluing it back. It is like I have no choice. I can use 24hr. epoxy and it won't be coming out. Of course, I probably could epoxy the existing key that way.

It is all a bit of a scam. There is no reason why someone could not have designed this so once the key is broken off, the metal piece is held securely into a new piece of plastic with screws or Epoxy.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Did the new key come with a new transponder? It's sad that the dealer won't cut the blank. My dealer will charge $10.95. For the cut. The only problem is some of the aftermarket keys do not cut correctly for some reason.
If you can get the transponder out of your old key and installed into the new one all you have to do is get the blank cut. Maybe at a hardware store who has the newer style key cutters. Or try another dealer. If you have another one close to you. Or a locksmith. All depends on how much time you want to spend on this project.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No the new one just has a piece of plastic where the immobilizer is. I've called a few Locksmiths and they all charge the same thing. They are not even $5 cheaper than the dealer. I guess I can try the hardware store. I never thought of that because the key is in-cut not flat cut.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I quess I want make my self clear

If there is nothing in that little pocket to left of the last hole near the shank, then all electronics is in the button fob. If there is a small chip in that little pocket, then you will have to transfer it. Not easily done,but I have heard of people doing it . either way the I do not belive you have to go to dealer or locksmith for programing. Because the code is in the chip. Once installed in new key, either way, that part is done. Shank cut is next. Sorry your having such a tough time.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I think 3daholic's problem is no one will cut the key shank.
Yeah, but I thught he would find this post in that thread interesting:

I went on amazon and bought a flip key for $15, took it to a locksmith and had them cut it for $10 then I inserted the guts and little chip into it and it works as good as new plus now I have a flipkey that I perfer much better. I did have to file some of the edges to smooth it a little but it works great for me.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I don't know where he lives, but sounds like the people around aren't very friendly. Smile

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I think 3daholic's problem is no one will cut the key shank.

I've called 10 locksmiths...

They will cut it. The problem is the cheapest is $55. That has come down a lot. The thread suggests $10. For a regular key, they charge $5. For the Honda key, they call it a "security key", and they charge $55. It goes up from there to $85. For $120, the dealer will provide, cut, and program a new key. We are talking about a key here, not a new radio.

They know the money is in the programming....so if you don't give them that "cream"...they extract the cream from the cut.

You see the hammer at the end of the key. You can easily design that to fit inside of a plastic sandwich such that you could simple move the keys over to a new plastic piece. I'm almost tempted to go buy a 3d-printer, design the thing up in a CAD3d and start selling them. I could sell them for $25. All you would have to do is break your key all the way out, stick it in the new plastic, move everything over.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Well if it makes you feel better a BMW key is $300 and u have to wait 2 weeks to have it sent over the big pond.
It is sad that the dealer and locksmiths are really taking advantage of the Honda owners in that area

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks to this thread (among others), I paid $7 for a replacement key (click here for the key I got), paid $1 for my local drug store to cut the key, then used some jeweler's screwdrivers (Philips head and flat head) to transfer the transponder chip from my broken OEM key to my new one.

Best $8 I've spent.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks to this thread (among others), I paid $7 for a replacement key (click here for the key I got), paid $1 for my local drug store to cut the key, then used some jeweler's screwdrivers (Philips head and flat head) to transfer the transponder chip from my broken OEM key to my new one.

Best $8 I've spent.

Thanks everyone!
I have no idea where you paid a $1 to cut a security key.
I paid $ 8 to get this key off of ebay.

Then I paid $ 48 to have the security key cut at my local locksmith. After calling about 15 locksmiths most of who wanted to charge me about $20 more than.

Best $56 I ever spent.

Why? Because I'm buying 2 more of the eBAY keys because NOW the key is a solid piece of steel and it is virtually possible for the actual KEY to break any further. If the key breaks, it will likely only be some part of or mostly something related to the $8 piece. In such a case, I will dissemble the $8 piece's and move the cut key from the part that is broken to the new part. I'm DONE with something that has been designed to be a scam by HONDA, is a scam and is one of the best designed scams I have ever seen.

If someone breaks into your car and have the key, what use is the transponder? On the other hand, if they don't have the key but were skilled enough to break into your car, and unlock your steering wheel, are they really going to lack the sophistication not to just hot wire the ignition in some way? I guarantee you anyone that can do all of the first two things...has something that will let them start your car and drive your car away bypassing the transponder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have no idea where you paid a $1 to cut a security key.
I suppose it's one of the benefits of living in a small(er) town--the local drug store is a Mom-and-Pop shop that did the key cut with a manual router-style cutter. Took about 3 minutes.

I'd post a copy of the store receipt, but I've already thrown it away.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Ok, the price they are giving sounds like the price of a new key with cut and programing. Did they tell you you had to bring truck in also ? Tell them you have an aftermarket key you need cut . Not a whole key. $10.00?
On second thought what year is the RL? Earlier year the transponder for the immobilizer is a separate chip then the button one. I just looked at your pic again. The second chip is on the left poo for the hole near the shank. That I'm told can be transferred, but not easily. And no, once you sepperate the metal from the plastic you just have really broken key.
I should ask why you say your key is broken? The pic shows the key is OK, except the back is missing. What actually happened?

Right you are, my friend. Anyone familiar with paint-by-numbers needs only to go to YouTube. In most cases the key stem works lose from the housing. You get the housing from Amazon (I paid 8 bucks 2 years ago), carefully cut out the transponder chip and stick it into the new housing. The key (pun intended) is to VERY carefully cut out the chip. Voila!

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts