Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Nothing against the Firestones but have two tires with slow leaks, on my 2021 RTL-E and figure now is the time to change.

I will be replacing with the same size (245/60-18) as I do not think I need wider for a light truck that seldom leaves the asphalt. Wider to me means a greater chance of hydroplaning in Florida’s torrential rainfalls.

What is the top choice Michelin if money was not a factor

Premier LTX
Defender LTX M/S
Latitude Tour HP
Bad news brother, it's NOT the tires...
"They just don't build them like they use to"... For some unknown, and literally unknown reason, all cars burn oil and tires leak... Before 1974 that never happened, oil got dirty, tires got punctured, today you add more oil to clean oil, and pump up the tires regularly... and it's not just the Ridgeline... Mercedes, Toyota, Ford, Chrysler, Chevy... I owned them all, and same thing, oil burns and tires leak
This year bought a Ryobi battery powered inflator for $25, it has it's own home in my trunk and I've use it a few times at my leisure when the dash would tell me I needed to, 1 psi per minute... no more "finding the time" to swing into America Tire (My tire store) for a quick pump up...
BTW, "burns" is an assumption, the oil "disappears", no smoke like a burn, and yet no leaks... Maybe today's oil has a high water content that evaporates...

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Michelin Defender LTX M/S is the replacement for the excellent Michelin LTX M/S that came as original equipment on the 2006-2014 Ridgeline.

I was happy with Discount tire until last rotation. They refused to take my keys for tire rotation and made me do it through an App. It took more time to explain the app then it would have to hand the dude my keys. So 55 minutes later I go to the desk and was like what the f are you clowns running. this was after all mask mandates were lifted. I was told it was just like a the diner waiting for a table. I said NO this is a tire store. When I ask who came up with the stupid plan I was told the CEO. So I found him and wrote him a letter. Some district stooge responded. Oh they also snap a lug and gave me the name of a place to get it fixed 10 miles farther away from my house. They were the only ones to ever tough the tires for the last 4 years. Never Again. JUst tell me you need an appointment and this all could have been taken care of. I will go to my grave KNOWING they snapped the lug intentionally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nothing against the Firestones but have two tires with slow leaks, on my 2021 RTL-E and figure now is the time to change.

I will be replacing with the same size (245/60-18) as I do not think I need wider for a light truck that seldom leaves the asphalt. Wider to me means a greater chance of hydroplaning in Florida’s torrential rainfalls.

Premier LTX
Defender LTX M/S
Latitude Tour HP
I got 86K, yes, 86K miles out of the Firestone Destination LEs; every Michelin tire I have owned, I have needed to replace at approximately 45K miles--especially on my Honda Odyssey. BTW, the OEM tires (Bridgestone Desert Duelers), also wore out quickly. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I was happy with Discount tire until last rotation. They refused to take my keys for tire rotation and made me do it through an App. It took more time to explain the app then it would have to hand the dude my keys. So 55 minutes later I go to the desk and was like what the f are you clowns running. this was after all mask mandates were lifted. I was told it was just like a the diner waiting for a table. I said NO this is a tire store. When I ask who came up with the stupid plan I was told the CEO. So I found him and wrote him a letter. Some district stooge responded. Oh they also snap a lug and gave me the name of a place to get it fixed 10 miles farther away from my house. They were the only ones to ever tough the tires for the last 4 years. Never Again. JUst tell me you need an appointment and this all could have been taken care of. I will go to my grave KNOWING they snapped the lug intentionally.
I have had nothing but exemplary service from Discount Tires. They have sold me 5-6 sets of tires and serviced them as needed.

Bad news brother, it's NOT the tires...
"They just don't build them like they use to"... For some unknown, and literally unknown reason, all cars burn oil and tires leak... Before 1974 that never happened, oil got dirty, tires got punctured, today you add more oil to clean oil, and pump up the tires regularly... and it's not just the Ridgeline... Mercedes, Toyota, Ford, Chrysler, Chevy... I owned them all, and same thing, oil burns and tires leak
This year bought a Ryobi battery powered inflator for $25, it has it's own home in my trunk and I've use it a few times at my leisure when the dash would tell me I needed to, 1 psi per minute... no more "finding the time" to swing into America Tire (My tire store) for a quick pump up...
BTW, "burns" is an assumption, the oil "disappears", no smoke like a burn, and yet no leaks... Maybe today's oil has a high water content that evaporates...
I had a similar battery powered inflator given to me a few years back. After one use I walked it down to my dock and chucked it in the water!

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I

I had good wear with the Firestone L2 tires
but also had a slow leak in one tire at 45k miles. I ended up buying some Michelin Defender LTX at Costco. Got the same OEM size. So far so good. Maybe a little more road noise now compared to the Firestone’s.
yep I had two of the firestones develop small leaks and decided to make the switch. I do a lot of Jacksonville to Atlanta visits and the last thing I want to worry about is my tires.

Tell the dealer to replace the tires under warrenty
why, I do not want them on my vehicle any more!

·
Registered
9 Posts
LTX M/S were fantastic on my G1 '06. Got 180k+ out of 3 sets.

·
Registered
190 Posts
How dare you install new Michelin tires on your 2021 Ridgeline without the permission and consensus of the forum! Ok I'm sure you'll say three hail marys and be forgiven.

Shamefully, by all forum records, the Firestone Destination tires on my 2017 BE has the Guinness Book record of the most miles driven on a set of tires, at 102K miles a couple months ago. It gets worse. I may have only rotated and rebalanced these tires once and changed the tires that still had quite a bit of thread left, because I was driving in a muddy Montana environment and was fearful of the steap and high prescipits: the tires never hydroplaned, skidded, made noise, cracked, leaked nor had any uneven tread wear. Though I was pleased with the performance of the Michellins on the previous 2012 G1, I was warned in 2016 that they crack after longterm use and that the Firestone Destination would mitigate this problem. At the speeds and distances that I have traveled (in a truck) for the past five years, the Firestone Destination tires performed like a record breaking champion stallion race horse. True, on my part I kept the tires clean and moisturized and I didn't drive over sidewalks or potholes, go rock climbing nor four wheel mudding and I changed lanes for the smoother surface and kept the tire pressues near 40 psi but never exeeding the 40 psi. I am so very sorry I didn't get the chance to change your mind.

If the leaks you had, were associated with a deformity or uneven surface of the wheel rim, then your new tires will still be prone to leaking. Be very careful of your preference for a thinner tire width, because you can exceed the ratio of tire to rim specification and cause the shape of the tire to road contact to promote a failure in the integrity of the side walls.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Premier LTX
Defender LTX M/S
Latitude Tour HP
I took those Firestone off after 1,000 + some miles. They did not go well for me up in Northern Maine. The Firestone would not want to follow the curves in the winter. I also got a check for $70. from Michelin after I called them that I had missed their December sale in 2018.

I got Michelin Defender LTX the same size.

What a big difference in handling ! My first Ridgeline 2014 had Michelins too !!

I do have those Firestones stored for when I change to a newer Ridgeline in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
227 Posts
This Ridgeline is the 3rd set of LE2's I've owned across several vehicles, and previously purchased LE1's on a Jeep. They all served the purpose very well under some really horrible frost-cratered conditions, and in all weather conditions including severe ice & snow. They went almost 60K miles on my CRV before I pulled them trying to troubleshoot some quirky handling concerns that eventually turned out to be rear shocks. I've also owned a lot of Michelin products over the years that have been outstanding (including LTX's) and wouldn't hesitate to buy them for my Ridgeline. However, Bridgestone/Firestone has served me well on both personal and commercial vehicles over the years despite the derogatory opinions some express.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I didn’t wait for my Firestone’s to fail on my 2021 RTL-E — I went to Discount Tire at 1,350-miles and had the Michelin Defender LTX M/S’s installed and expect the great ride and service from these tires that other Michelin’s have provided me in the past. And the discounts Discount Tire offered made the decision easy — including buying the Firestone’s from me!

PS: A week later I put the same tires on my wife’s 2019 CR-V — her Firestone’s only lasted 24,000-miles. I wish I would have thought to trade them (the Firestone’s) when they were new— but now we both have great tires (Michelin’s) backed by a great store (Discount Tire) that should give us great service for the next 55,000 to 65,000-miles.

View attachment 415500

View attachment 415501
My Firestones never failed even after having them for a month shy of 3 years and 47,443 miles. Could of gotten 50,000 out of them, but I was fixing to go on a long trip and wanted fresh tires. Did not, nor would I have gone back to Firestone. Not a fan of them, but that's what came on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Premier LTX
Defender LTX M/S
Latitude Tour HP
Is it the tire or the Valve stem? could it be the wheel? I've had and hear do wheels that lose air. But if you want a great set of Micheclans, you should do some homework and first you need to determine the exposure to snow and ice???? Raod noise?? some tires are noisy. But I also will look at Michelans when my Firestones wear out which is not to far away, I have 43K miles and they are wearing well so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Premier LTX
Defender LTX M/S
Latitude Tour HP
I have the Premier LTX on my Lexus and they are very smooth and quiet, I live in the PacNW and they do very well in rain.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Is it the tire or the Valve stem? could it be the wheel? I've had and hear do wheels that lose air. But if you want a great set of Micheclans, you should do some homework and first you need to determine the exposure to snow and ice???? Raod noise?? some tires are noisy. But I also will look at Michelans when my Firestones wear out which is not to far away, I have 43K miles and they are wearing well so far.
I have done my “homework” and have owned these tires on two different vehicles including my past 2020 RL. I love them! It was both tires that had the slow leaks as they were losing 2-4 psi in 24 hours. All four Michelin’s had the 35 psi in them this am. Like I said in a previous post I do go from Jacksonville to Beach Mountain twice a year when the snow calls me. The Defenders had more than enough traction in the snow.

I took those Firestone off after 1,000 + some miles. They did not go well for me up in Northern Maine. The Firestone would not want to follow the curves in the winter. I also got a check for $70. from Michelin after I called them that I had missed their December sale in 2018.

I got Michelin Defender LTX the same size.

What a big difference in handling ! My first Ridgeline 2014 had Michelins too !!

I do have those Firestones stored for when I change to a newer Ridgeline in the not too distant future.
You are right about the handling, on the way home from Discount Tire there are a couple of good turns and you could feel the difference immediately.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Premier LTX
Defender LTX M/S
Latitude Tour HP
Michelin defenders, 110,000 miles on them.
Like a tank in the snow when they were new.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Premier LTX
Defender LTX M/S
Latitude Tour HP
I put on a full set of Defenders on my 18 Sport about 10k miles ago and really do like them. Would not hesitate to go with Defenders again.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Premier LTX
Defender LTX M/S
Latitude Tour HP
I replaced my original Firestones at about 50k miles (2017 RTL-T) with a similar set. Nothing wrong with them …in fact never hydroplaned or had difficulty on snow traveling in northern NE.

·
Registered
623 Posts
My local tire dealer told me Michelin's are notorious for dry rot.
That's very odd. Nearly every person I know who has expert knowledge of tires all say Michelin is the best tire made without exception. That's why they are so expensive. Even my uncle who worked his entire career at Goodyear (only job he ever had) and worked his way into Sr. leadership said Goodyear constantly bought Michelin tires and examined them to see if they could make a better tire. Michelin was the benchmark.

I typically buy Michelins for my cars, but never liked the way the handled on motorcycles. Their profile was a little more rounded than I preferred as I like my bike to fall into corners versus being steered into them. Just a personal preference, and the Michelins were a wonderfully stable motorcycle tire. But they cost an arm and a leg...often double what I can get a set of Pirelli tires for. In always had great luck with Pirelli motorcycle tires on the street and the track. But I'd never run them on a car.

For cars, I will consider Continentals and have bought a couple of sets if they are substantially cheaper than the Michelins. I usually keep an eye out for rebates and sales before dropping coin on tires.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts