Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was happy with Discount tire until last rotation. They refused to take my keys for tire rotation and made me do it through an App. It took more time to explain the app then it would have to hand the dude my keys. So 55 minutes later I go to the desk and was like what the f are you clowns running. this was after all mask mandates were lifted. I was told it was just like a the diner waiting for a table. I said NO this is a tire store. When I ask who came up with the stupid plan I was told the CEO. So I found him and wrote him a letter. Some district stooge responded. Oh they also snap a lug and gave me the name of a place to get it fixed 10 miles farther away from my house. They were the only ones to ever tough the tires for the last 4 years. Never Again. JUst tell me you need an appointment and this all could have been taken care of. I will go to my grave KNOWING they snapped the lug intentionally.
I've been using Discount Tire for well over 30 years. I would never go anywhere else for tires.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Nothing against the Firestones but have two tires with slow leaks, on my 2021 RTL-E and figure now is the time to change.

I will be replacing with the same size (245/60-18) as I do not think I need wider for a light truck that seldom leaves the asphalt. Wider to me means a greater chance of hydroplaning in Florida’s torrential rainfalls.

What is the top choice Michelin if money was not a factor

Premier LTX
Defender LTX M/S
Latitude Tour HP
In general, Michelins are made with harder rubber so they last longer but they don't stop as fast or handle as well.

I didn't find the Premier LTX, but Consumer Reports rates the LTX AT2 at an overall score of 61 compared to the Defender LTX M/S at 62, with the LTX AT2 getting an excellent score for preventing hydroplaning compared to very good for the Defender, but the Defender is better in most other ways. The Continental Terrain Contact A/T gets a very good for anti-hydroplaning, and is better than the two Michelins in most other ways except it only lasted 55,000 miles compared to 80k for the Defender and 100k for the LTX. The Terrain Contact A/T and LTX AT2 are all-terrain tires as opposed to the Defender, which is an all-season tire. Another all-season tire to consider is the Continental Terrain Contact H/T, which is also an all-season tire. It rates better than the other three tires overall, with a score of 69, and was tested to last about 95k miles, but is only rated good for anti-hydroplaning.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nothing against the Firestones but have two tires with slow leaks, on my 2021 RTL-E and figure now is the time to change.

I will be replacing with the same size (245/60-18) as I do not think I need wider for a light truck that seldom leaves the asphalt. Wider to me means a greater chance of hydroplaning in Florida’s torrential rainfalls.

Premier LTX
Defender LTX M/S
Latitude Tour HP
The Michelin Defender LTX M/S is the replacement for the excellent Michelin LTX M/S that came as original equipment on the 2006-2014 Ridgeline.
Had two sets of LTX M/S and one Defender LTX M/S on my G1 Ridgeline. All got around 70K miles with no issues. Will put these on my G2 Ridgeline with the Firestones wear out. Great tire

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just put on some crossclimate 2. We’ll see how it goes. Seems to be about the same level of road noise at the Firestone

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
473 Posts
For those who don't like the 'Stones, what PSI are you running? Mine are quiet, handle great, and no stone in the tread problems, but I keep my tires at 40PSI.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Premier LTX
Defender LTX M/S
Latitude Tour HP
I have the same problem in one of my tires on a 2020 black addition. Besides as the tires wear they are noisy. For this kind of money I would have thought they would put on a decent tire

·
Registered
1 Posts

Premier LTX
Defender LTX M/S
Latitude Tour HP
I did the research and installed Defenders. they had a very high mileage guarantee. the different models are constructed differently depending on different performance parameters. if you go all in on traction you lose mileage and vice versa. I'm not up on the details, but if you understand this fact you're in a better position to parse the descriptions of the various tires. but the most important point to make is to instruct the installer to use adhesive wheel weights. the clip on's create a gap in the tire bead that is the source of your slow leaks.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Premier LTX
Defender LTX M/S
Latitude Tour HP
I've purchased 2 sets of Defender LTX M/S for my 2008 Ridgeline, 60k miles on each set, and 3 sets for my kids 2005, 2005, 2008 4 Runners. I made a mistake and followed Tire Racks suggestion and put Pirelli Scorpions on my wife's Pilot and hated them. Michelin Defender LTX M/S all the way.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My '06 had 66k miles on it when I bought it from a dealer. It had OE LTX M/S. I had to swap them after 70k as winter was coming (I'm in snow belt). WOW. Romp & Stomp! After another 65k miles, I got another set of OE LTX M/S. Sold truck before they wore out.
Bought an '08 that had 12k miles on it. OE LTX M/S. Ran them to just over 65k with winter coming again. Got Defender LTX M/S2, they got about 60k just before snow hit on that year....so, I swapped early and did the Defender LTX M/S2 again.
I'm at 175k now and might not make it through another winter with tread.
Big fan of the LTX, but the defender does seem to have a tad less tread-life.

I also just put defender LTX M/S on the wife's Rav4 (finally released a size to fit)
I do not care at all how "cool" my tires look.

FYI - be careful when someone compares LTX M/S and LTX A/T. Different tires.
Also look at speed rating...that affects mileage as well. "R"s have 50k rating.

my $.02, ymmv

·
Registered
30 Posts
Firestones on my 2017 wore out fast - 24k. I put on the defenders and they are wearing much better. However, right after I put the defenders on I drove my father in laws almost new RL and the firestones had better handling. Still, if I had to do it again I would still get the defenders. And they look nicer too.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I did the research and installed Defenders. they had a very high mileage guarantee. the different models are constructed differently depending on different performance parameters. if you go all in on traction you lose mileage and vice versa. I'm not up on the details, but if you understand this fact you're in a better position to parse the descriptions of the various tires. but the most important point to make is to instruct the installer to use adhesive wheel weights. the clip on's create a gap in the tire bead that is the source of your slow leaks.
one leak was from a small nail, I do not think the clip on weights, if it had any, had anything to do with it. Discount tire used stick on weights on my new tires.

I replaced my original Firestones at about 50k miles (2017 RTL-T) with a similar set. Nothing wrong with them …in fact never hydroplaned or had difficulty on snow traveling in northern NE.
If I where you I would stick to the Firestones! Enjoy!

·
Registered
2017 RTL
28 Posts

Premier LTX
Defender LTX M/S
Latitude Tour HP

Premier LTX
Defender LTX M/S
Latitude Tour HP
Having researched tires to replace my OE Firestones with 42K this is a synopsis of what I found:

Latitude Tour is one on Michelins worst tires. Buy at your own peril.

Cross Country is slightly higher rated than the Defender but is not available in 245/60-18 so it is not an option.

My current choice is the Defender. It is highly rated but is $217 (OUCH) at Costco It offers a rebate intermittently.

Random thoughts: A highly rated option is a Kumho for about $140 on Tire Rack. I have 42 K on the OE Firestones and they have performed well so.........(around $200 at Tire Rack). I'd like to trade but there are no RTL Es to be had around me.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTL, 2019 Pilot EX-L
95 Posts
Bad news brother, it's NOT the tires...
"They just don't build them like they use to"... For some unknown, and literally unknown reason, all cars burn oil and tires leak... Before 1974 that never happened, oil got dirty, tires got punctured, today you add more oil to clean oil, and pump up the tires regularly... and it's not just the Ridgeline... Mercedes, Toyota, Ford, Chrysler, Chevy... I owned them all, and same thing, oil burns and tires leak
This year bought a Ryobi battery powered inflator for $25, it has it's own home in my trunk and I've use it a few times at my leisure when the dash would tell me I needed to, 1 psi per minute... no more "finding the time" to swing into America Tire (My tire store) for a quick pump up...
BTW, "burns" is an assumption, the oil "disappears", no smoke like a burn, and yet no leaks... Maybe today's oil has a high water content that evaporates...
Synthetic oil seems to burn a little faster than conventional oil, but generally is not a great problem.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTL, 2019 Pilot EX-L
95 Posts
I have had nothing but exemplary service from Discount Tires. They have sold me 5-6 sets of tires and serviced them as needed.

I had a similar battery powered inflator given to me a few years back. After one use I walked it down to my dock and chucked it in the water!
Would that be water pollution?

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Having researched tires to replace my OE Firestones with 42K this is a synopsis of what I found:

Latitude Tour is one on Michelins worst tires. Buy at your own peril.

Cross Country is slightly higher rated than the Defender but is not available in 245/60-18 so it is not an option.

My current choice is the Defender. It is highly rated but is $217 (OUCH) at Costco It offers a rebate intermittently.

Random thoughts: A highly rated option is a Kumho for about $140 on Tire Rack. I have 42 K on the OE Firestones and they have performed well so.........(around $200 at Tire Rack). I'd like to trade but there are no RTL Es to be had around me.
I know people who did not want to pay the extra and got the Tours. It was Defender all the way for me.

·
Registered
2018 Ridgeline BE
29 Posts
I'm team OE Firestone Destination LE here. The original tire lasted 50K miles. I'm generally happy with the performance of the Firestone. I value quietness and smoothness of the tire above all else. I need that serenity and confidence on the road on my drive to work and back home. The tires don't lose pressure. The only PSI variation is from the changing in outside temperature. They are smooth, quiet, track the road well, great in rain. When it came time to replace, I had 2 options, get the Firestone LE from Discount Tire, or Michelin Defender LTX from Costco. Firestone tires are a little cheaper and quieter VS the Michelin. Love these Firestone tires :)

·
Registered
14 Posts

Premier LTX
Defender LTX M/S
Latitude Tour HP
I wasn’t familiar with them but the original tires on my 19 Ridgeline were Falkens. I’m approaching 60,000 & it appears they still have at least 10,000-20,000 more good miles in them. When I replace them that’s what I’m going with again.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I wasn’t familiar with them but the original tires on my 19 Ridgeline were Falkens. I’m approaching 60,000 & it appears they still have at least 10,000-20,000 more good miles in them. When I replace them that’s what I’m going with again.
OK.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts