Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
101 - 105 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2017 RTS White
323 Posts
Had LE2's on my last truck and liked them. Was happy when my 17 RTS came with them. Seeing I only put 4k miles a year on my tires, high mileage is not a concern. But being a "Rebel" (Yamaha scooter, Kawasaki Vulcan cruiser, Ridgeline NART)and a tightwad, I think I am going to try the Kumho HT51 (knock off Defender LTX) next time........

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I love Michelins when I was doing 25k a year. Three years of use on the LTX MS2 and they were ready for replacement. If you aren't a high mileage person, I don't think the extra cost is worth it

·
Registered
42 Posts
How dare you install new Michelin tires on your 2021 Ridgeline without the permission and consensus of the forum! Ok I'm sure you'll say three hail marys and be forgiven.

Shamefully, by all forum records, the Firestone Destination tires on my 2017 BE has the Guinness Book record of the most miles driven on a set of tires, at 102K miles a couple months ago. It gets worse. I may have only rotated and rebalanced these tires once and changed the tires that still had quite a bit of thread left, because I was driving in a muddy Montana environment and was fearful of the steap and high prescipits: the tires never hydroplaned, skidded, made noise, cracked, leaked nor had any uneven tread wear. Though I was pleased with the performance of the Michellins on the previous 2012 G1, I was warned in 2016 that they crack after longterm use and that the Firestone Destination would mitigate this problem. At the speeds and distances that I have traveled (in a truck) for the past five years, the Firestone Destination tires performed like a record breaking champion stallion race horse. True, on my part I kept the tires clean and moisturized and I didn't drive over sidewalks or potholes, go rock climbing nor four wheel mudding and I changed lanes for the smoother surface and kept the tire pressues near 40 psi but never exeeding the 40 psi. I am so very sorry I didn't get the chance to change your mind.

If the leaks you had, were associated with a deformity or uneven surface of the wheel rim, then your new tires will still be prone to leaking. Be very careful of your preference for a thinner tire width, because you can exceed the ratio of tire to rim specification and cause the shape of the tire to road contact to promote a failure in the integrity of the side walls.
I am disappointed with the Firestone tires. They become noisy as they wear. I have half the tread left with 23k miles and they are noisy tires. For this kind of money (I have a 2020 back addition) I would have thought Honda would have used better tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you buy used? The Ridgeline never left the factory with Michelin Defender tires. The 2006-2014 came with Michelin LTX M/S and the 2017-current comes with Firestone Destination LE2. The Michelin LTX M/S was discontinued after the 2014 Ridgeline ended production. The closest replacement is the Michelin Defender LTX M/S.
They were a new set when I bought it pre owned from a Honda dealer. They were LTX M/S. And they were terrible tires.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Glad I stumbled onto this thread. I never realised the Ridgelines were factory Michelined in 2012. My used Ridgeline was purchased last August with newer, Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready P245/60R18. These are M+S plus they have the 3-Peak Mountain Snowflake printed on the sidewall. The last time I used Goodyear was on my 1985 Monte Carlo and the Regatta II lasted almost 8 years, with the sidewalls cracking and leaking before the tread wore-out. I run the Assurance at about 34 psi and they are "boingy" and a bit loud. My 2010 Hummer H3 had the Michelin Defender M+S and were exceptional tires and quiet as well. Even though the Goodyear are acceptable, I plan to switch over to Michelin Defenders when these wear. One point to consider, my research determined the Gen 1 Ridgeline can only accept P rated tires, not LT. Anybody running LT and their thoughts on the matter?

101 - 105 of 105 Posts