Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
ROC Founder, Admin
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Report Says New-Vehicle Buyers Increasingly Accepting of Import Brands

The study finds that few domestic truck buyers question the quality or reliability of imports. For example, the Honda Ridgeline, a mid-size truck from a company new to the American truck market, benefits from the Honda brand’s reputation for reliability. Despite the Ridgeline’s innovative styling, 49 percent of owners cite either reliability or workmanship as the most influential reason for their purchase, while only 8 percent say vehicle styling was the most influential reason.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Made in the USA? Hard to tell ...

According to federal labeling systems ...
At least 75% of a vehicle (including parts and components) must be produced in North America (United States or Canada) to be labeled Domestic.

A major imported component (engine, transmission, or drive axle) can significantly lower a vehicle's domestic parts content.

Boston Globe 9/24/06 Auto Section J11 ...
Honda Ridgeline @ 75% - Domestic - :)
Chevy Suburban @ 67% - Not Domestic
Chevy Tahoe @ 67% - Not Domestic
Chrysler 300 @ 72% - Not Domestic
Dodge Caliber @ 70% - Not Domestic
Ford Escape Hybrid @ 40% - Not Domestic
Ford Mustang @ 65% - Not Domestic
Toyota Camry @ 75% - Domestic

Analysts say that 70% of Honda's operating profit is derived from North America sales. Honda is planning to add an assembly plant and 1,500 jobs in the Mid-west.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Ouch!!

So let me get this straight. The japanese build their vehicles locally and the american car companies build elsewhere?

There's definitely something wrong with that equation.....

·
Registered
303 Posts
yEAH.....I literally LAUGH OUT LOUD at customers that come onto our lot and say they won't buy a HOnda/Acura cause it is not "American Made". Talk about totally and completely uneducated.....and IGNORANT!!!!! Honda EXPORTS more cars than they IMPORT!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
Andy-Montreal said:
Ouch!!

So let me get this straight. The japanese build their vehicles locally and the american car companies build elsewhere?

There's definitely something wrong with that equation.....
The majority of parts for the American cars are made elsewhere and assemled either in the USA or Canada. Honda is using the majority of parts made in the USA or Canada and being built (At this time) in Canada.

·
Registered
242 Posts
ShootinDownTheStars said:
yEAH.....I literally LAUGH OUT LOUD at customers that come onto our lot and say they won't buy a HOnda/Acura cause it is not "American Made". Talk about totally and completely uneducated.....and IGNORANT!!!!! Honda EXPORTS more cars than they IMPORT!!!!
I'm quite happy driving a Canadian built truck.

I think the Canadians are great people!

·
Registered
104 Posts
According to research analysts ...

The Japanese-style assembly plants are very efficient and can build more vehicles with fewer works then the American-style assembly plants ... :eek:.

As usual ... a process developed by Americans (ie, Henry Ford) is improved by Japanese ... :eek:.

This edge enables Honda/Toyota/Nissan to cost effectively build and sell vehicles in North America ... :eek:.

Analysts say that 70% of Honda's operating profit is derived from North American sales.

Meanwhile, the consumer is becoming less interested in a product's "country of origin" and more interested in "bargain + value" for their money.

According to GM the cost in wages + benefits last year for UAW workers was $83/hr ... :rolleyes:.

The logic of buying a Ford or GM product because the profit will stay in the US is flawed. Both companies are Global, at any point profit made from domestic sales could be invested in plants abroad.

·
Registered
400 Posts
So the saying "New-Vehicle Buyers Increasingly Accepting of Import Brands", Is Honda an imported brand? Looking at the Ridge is seems to be a domestic brand. It is funny that Honda and Toyota have vehicles that are made with more US parts then Chevy and Ford. It does get me, when people say, buy an american truck instead of the Ridgeline (have heard that several times in my purchase quest). When the Ridge is more American than all the others. People need give up with that!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts