Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda,

Since the Ridgeline is factory remote start and you have Honda Link with apps, please make a remote start app for our trucks. I realize this will carry an annual fee but I am sure most will pay for this feature. In the past I have been using Drone mobile on aftermarket starters however some manufacturers such as Hyundai now have an app for this on their factory setup. Beauty of this is the range becomes unlimited and you can unlock your doors in case you somehow manage to lock yourself out all through your phone. They can get pretty fancy and control seat warmer or change the temperature. Don't get me wrong, the setup on the Ridgeline is great however the range is pathetic.

This will give you an idea of what I am referring to. https://www.engadget.com/2012/05/16/hyundai-blue-link-app/

·
Registered
136 Posts
Honda,

Since the Ridgeline is factory remote start and you have Honda Link with apps, please make a remote start app for our trucks. I realize this will carry an annual fee but I am sure most will pay for this feature. In the past I have been using Drone mobile on aftermarket starters however some manufacturers such as Hyundai now have an app for this on their factory setup. Beauty of this is the range becomes unlimited and you can unlock your doors in case you somehow manage to lock yourself out all through your phone. They can get pretty fancy and control seat warmer or change the temperature. Don't get me wrong, the setup on the Ridgeline is great however the range is pathetic.

This will give you an idea of what I am referring to. https://www.engadget.com/2012/05/16/hyundai-blue-link-app/
I don't know why it didn't exist. Thanks for mentioning it. Why would you have to pay an annual fee?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't know why it didn't exist. Thanks for mentioning it. Why would you have to pay an annual fee?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
It is cellular based and Honda does not own the cellular system. Starting and stopping a car not to mention unlocking the doors by all Honda users on a daily basis is a far cry from once every six months service interval. Someone has to pat AT&T. :wink:

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
That was an option on our 2015 Volvo XC60. They wanted over $400 for activation so we passed.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2013 Volt and X5 40E both have remote start apps standard- no extra fee on the Volt or BMW for these features. Being hybrids does make it easier however.

·
Registered
3 Posts
GM has this feature with GMC and Chevy brands. No reason that Honda/Acura should not have this feature available--- at a minimum we should be able to remotely lock and unlock doors from the HondaLink app. Otherwise, this app is completely useless. By the way, GM doesn't charge for remote start from their mobile app. Shame on Honda!

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
App-based remote start requires the vehicle to be equipped with a cellular radio which the 2017-current Ridgeline does not have.

The 2019 Pilot and Passport have an updated infotainment system that includes a cellular radio on upper trims, but app-based remote start is not included.

I believe the 2018 Accord Touring was Honda's first model with app-based remote start and the 2019 RDX was the second.

Be careful what you wish for, though... The RDX gained app-based based remote start, but deleted "keyfob-based" remote start! You can add "keyfob-based" remote start as an accessory to the RDX, but it's expensive and requires significant disassembly of the rear interior of the vehicle and dealer-only programming.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I have this on my Ridgeline. You can add it via aftermarket. Drone Mobile. I paired with a Compustar Alarm so the app manages the truck alarm as well as remote start. Has lock/unlock of doors by smartphone/app, remote start/stop, and you can even open the trunk via the app. The Compustar alarm adds a sensor that triggers the alarm if the hood is raised/lifted, as well as an excellent shock sensor and tilt sensor. You also have the ability to set MPH limit notices, curfews, and have turn by turn navigation if a child is using it, or you are concerned your spouse is cheating :D
It also monitors the voltage of your battery and you can enable it to auto-start the vehicle to charge up the battery then shut off. This was a great feature for me since the Ridgeline isn't my primary vehicle. Parasitic loss from it sitting a week at a time is no longer an issue. Best thing to me is the app transfers to the Apple watch. I remote start the truck via my watch. Can you say Batman?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have this on my Ridgeline. You can add it via aftermarket. Drone Mobile. I paired with a Compustar Alarm so the app manages the truck alarm as well as remote start.
Awesome! Did you install this yourself? Ive looked at other systems by Viper and am looking to install the most minimal ammount of equipment needed to activate the cellular module.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Awesome! Did you install this yourself? Ive looked at other systems by Viper and am looking to install the most minimal ammount of equipment needed to activate the cellular module.
That would just be drone mobile. You'd just continue to use the OEM alarm from Honda. I did a full Compustar alarm with Drone Mobile. Mine was approximately about $700 all in for both with the alarm being most of the cost. Here is the link for just the drone mobile.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That would just be drone mobile. You'd just continue to use the OEM alarm from Honda. I did a full Compustar alarm with Drone Mobile. Mine was approximately about $700 all in for both with the alarm being most of the cost. Here is the link for just the drone mobile.

I was under the impression that drone mobile adds the cellular/remote capability but it would not work with the factory remote start - meaning a Compustar or other compatible remote start must be added even if the OEM remote start exists.
Does that sound correct?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Honda,

I have had it on the last 3 Mercedes Benz and my current MB. Great app!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I was under the impression that drone mobile adds the cellular/remote capability but it would not work with the factory remote start - meaning a Compustar or other compatible remote start must be added even if the OEM remote start exists.
Does that sound correct?
I think a simple call to drone mobile would answer your question, or email. There are aftermarket options for just drone mobile, remote start, and/or full alarm. Truck already has remote start and lock/unlock so I'd ping them to confirm one way or the other. Your local BBUY could do the same thing. I went full alarm because I wanted better protection than OEM provides.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Does that sound correct?
This is absolutely correct. There is a minimum of Alarm/remote start system hookup required in order to integrate the cellular system. You cannot just buy the Drone device and hook it straight up to a stock Ridgeline.

You would need to have their base alarm/remote start system wired in but not fully hooked up so your OEM systems still function like normal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was surprised when I picked up my RTL-E last week and realized the RL didn't have this feature. The '17 Subaru Forester I traded in had it, and Subaru is a considerably smaller company than Honda.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
.....Since the Ridgeline is factory remote start and you have Honda Link with apps, please make a remote start app for our trucks. I realize this will carry an annual fee but I am sure most will pay for this feature. ....
....Be careful what you wish for, though... The RDX gained app-based based remote start, but deleted "keyfob-based" remote start! You can add "keyfob-based" remote start as an accessory to the RDX, but it's expensive and requires significant disassembly of the rear interior of the vehicle and dealer-only programming.
There are "apples to oranges" issues here. Our Ridglines come with a "local remote start" (i.e - keyfob short-range local radio transmission to Ridgeline to remote start it). I realize that's not a "start anywhere in the world, with multiple cool bells/whistles" like a smart phone app, but (with all due respect to OP), most of us do NOT want to pay a monthly fee - IF the ability to remote start it locally FREE is taken away from us (like @zroger73 mentions). It's OK to optionally monthly pay for a smart phone "start anywhere in the world app, etc" app, but don't take away my existing (free) functionality to locally remote start/lock/unlock my vehicle

Also, not to be paranoid or "tin foil hat"... but looking at current events/trends, one can see how a remote app could conceivably be hacked and/or abused: hackers gain control of your car and lock you out and/or steal it, the "repo man" gets a court order to lock you out of your car (you were late on your monthly payment, etc), someone else gets an order to do the same (you didn't pay that parking ticket / renew your tabs on time, etc), etc. I'm OK with those risks, so long as they're OPTIONAL (i.e. - if I sign up for an optional service, then I agree to take those risks), but don't give me no choice in the matter.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Our 2016 Lexus GX460 requires an app to remote start (from everywhere), and it can lock the doors, tell you if a window’s open, a seven track the vehicle on a map.

It’s pretty cool, but I personally would prefer a standard remote start like my RL’s that we don’t have to pay for. It’d be terrific if Lexus & Honda would offer both. If we lived in a condo complex too far from the parking lot the app would be great, or if your work lot is out of range, etc.

Also, seems like Honda could make a ton of additional $, even if a modest % of Honda/Acura owners signed up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts