Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone

I am here looking for a new aluminum truck box for my Ridgeline.

I would like for it to have handles on the sides, so that I can slide it out and remove it, in case I actually need the rest of the bed. My primary usage will be camping equipment: tent, sleeping bag, cookware, food, blankets, clothing, etc. I'm not likely to be keeping actual tools in there.

A plastic box would have been fine, if I could find a good quality one which would keep out extreme rain and snow.

Here is what I've found so far:

TMS has a small/cheap one:
http://www.t-motorsports.com/49l-al...r-tool-box-trailer-flatbed-rv-storage-w-lock/

Delta:
http://www.cpodeltatruckboxes.com/d...es-portable-chest/dtbn221000d,default,pd.html

UWS:
http://www.uwsta.com/p/48-standard-chest?pp=12

Dee Zee:
http://www.deezee.com/products/3296...Chests/Red_Label_Portable_Utility_Chests.html

It would be nice to have handles on the sides, so that I can use those to chain+lock down the box, and carry/drag it off the bed. Only the UWS and Northern Tool seem to be missing that feature.

Amazon.com has almost all of them. Prices are mostly $300, except for the cheapy TMS at $200.

Anyone have experience with these box brands?

Any advice?

Eventually I will buy something, and when I do, I'll post pics.

--

UPDATES: The TMS is smaller and cheaper, but doesn't have lifters and may not have weather sealing. If you live near their HQ in Pomona, CA (LA), you might be able to pick one up minus the shipping, and that would be a great deal.

The Dee Zee would fit, but is smaller than the Delta.

The UWS is too deep and would prevent the trunk from fully opening.

The Delta appears to be a perfect fit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just out doing some additional measurements...

My measurements show that the box can have an absolute width/length of 49", if the box has a flat bottom. Some boxes have a notched/tapered bottom for wheel wells, and you might be able to get a few more inches in, if that is the case, but then you need to worry about the top lid being able to open, because it can hit the Ridgeline's signature sloped bed walls as they curve up to the roof.

In regards to box depth, I show a maximum of 22" possible. You have to measure with the trunk door open, if you want to be able to have the trunk door fully open and not hit the chest. Note that my 22" measurement is really close though, and I'd feel much better about 21.5", because the door swinging up could possibly hit at 22".

Max height is somewhat subjective. I don't want my rear view inhibited, so 19" is the same height of the windows, and I'd consider 18" to be a safer measurement.

Note that I had a Northern Tool box listed previously, but I removed it since it's too large to allow the trunk to open.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Based on my measurements, the UWS box above is disqualified because it is too deep at 24". It's height at 20" is also higher than the 18" that I want to prevent any rear-view obstruction.

I am having a hard time figuring out the Dee Zee's exact measurements.

The Delta says it is 48" x 18" x 20", but doesn't say which is which. I assume it's 20" deep and 18" high. That is pretty close to perfect. since perfect would be about 49" x 18" x 22".

The Delta box looks like the way to go. It also comes in black.

The TMS box would fit too, and is $100 less, but it's smaller, doesn't have the gas lifters, and I suspect isn't quite as high quality.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never thought to see if you can safely drill through the front portion of the bed to secure something.
I plan on simply using a chain and locking each box side handle to the lower bed tie-downs, so that I can remove the box whenever I want. I'll stick a sheet of rubbery material underneath and on the back panel to prevent vibrations on rough dirt roads. Should be good enough. I'm not going to be carrying heavy tools in there like most people would.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
One of the reasons I bought the Ridgeline is because the trunk eliminated the need for a bed box. In past trucks, I used to have a large plastic bin with a lid and handles for all of my towing & hauling gear plus wheel chocks, etc. When needed, I'd put it in the bed and hide it under the tonneau. I'm not doing any towing or heavy hauling now, so I just have a small plastic toolbox in the trunk with simple tools, ratchet straps, and bungee cords. I don't carry enough stuff on a regular basis to need more storage than the trunk offers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It appears that the Dee Zee's actual dimensions are, "L: 37.125" x W: 19" x H: 16" | Vol: 6.4 cu. ft." This makes it smaller than the Delta, but the price is pretty much the same.

It really looks like the Delta is the way to go. FYI, in case they change their website in the future, it's listed as "Model#: DTBN221000D", "Delta 221000D 49-in Long Aluminum 220 Series Portable Chest".

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That Delta box arrived today. Unfortunately, the shipper banged it up and it has some significant dents, one of which compromises the welds on the bottom corner. It's no longer water tight, so I am going to have to send it back.

The fit is almost perfect, but not quite. The width is perfect. However, the box needs to be pushed out slightly from the rear of the bed in order to prevent the lid from making contact. A simple 2x4 or 2x6 will do the job.

I will post pictures after I have cleaned them up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.