Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 RTL and the manual is not very clear on how to reset the engine oil life display after changing oil.
If you are having the same problem, this might help.

To reset the Engine Oil Life display, press the Start/Stop 2 times with your
foot off the brake pedal. Select Oil Life Screen. Press and hold Reset Button
for maybe 10 sec or longer. This will bring up “Maintenance Reset” display.
Use arrow key to select “Reset”. Press and hold Reset Button until you get
“Reset Completed”. Shortly after seeing this, the screen the screen will return
to Oil Life 100% screen.

Hope this helps somebody.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thats good to know.
I have a 2019 RTL and had difficulty getting the control to reset, but finally did after numerous attempts.
Not sure if I could repeat all the things I did...
I will remember your instructions.
So how did you figure that out?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Very helpful. Just did my first oil change at 5000 miles. My conscious couldn’t wait till 10k for a first oil change.

·
Super Moderator
12,790 Posts
It is not recommended to change your oil prematurely - particularly the first oil change.

1. It's been demonstrated to be a waste of money and resources.
2. Honda tells dealers not to do it (although many dealers ignore this instruction because they make money on oil changes).
3. Performing the first oil change prematurely can extend the time it takes for the engine to break in.
4. If you keep resetting the Maintenance Minder when performing premature oil changes, you'll never be able to see when other maintenance items are due since other items are grouped with the nearest oil change.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Very helpful. Just did my first oil change at 5000 miles. My conscious couldn’t wait till 10k for a first oil change.
If you do oil changes at 5K miles, (several of us do), don’t reset the mm at that time. Wait for the mm to display the maintenance due. If it’s only an oil change, reset it at that time, you’ve already done that oil change. If it has other maintenance items due, complete those items then reset the mm. Also keep a separate log of when you do the oil changes. As zroger73 said, if you reset the mm every 5K miles, you will never see the rear lube change, the transmission fluid change or any of the other maintenance requirements that come up periodically.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Or you could just look at the maintenance schedule for all the various things and change them when needed like every other vehicle in the history of vehicles.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Techs have to have something.
It’s all programmed into the maintenance minder (mm). That’s why it’s important to not reset it early.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Zip. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Some dealers make up and publish their own, unofficial maintenance schedules as a sales tool, but Honda hasn't published such information in years.
Exactly my point. My dealer recommends certain mileage for air filter, etc. Any warranty issues they will be the one working on the vehicle. I typically do maintenance slightly early sans oil changes where I let the lab decide that.

Why do you concern so much about this anyhow? You don’t keep vehicles very long. I read earlier where you said changing oil early is bad for the environment or some such thing. What about getting a new vehicle every year, isn’t that more harmful to the enviroment?

·
Super Moderator
12,790 Posts
Exactly my point. My dealer recommends certain mileage for air filter, etc. Any warranty issues they will be the one working on the vehicle. I typically do maintenance slightly early sans oil changes where I let the lab decide that.
Dealers don't approve or deny warranty claims - the manufacturer does. When it comes to warranties, the vehicle should be maintained according to the manufacturer's instructions - not the dealer's recommendations.

Why do you concern so much about this anyhow? You don’t keep vehicles very long. I read earlier where you said changing oil early is bad for the environment or some such thing. What about getting a new vehicle every year, isn’t that more harmful to the enviroment?
I also recycle religiously and conserve water and electricity. We pick our poisons, don't we? :)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Dealers don't approve or deny warranty claims - the manufacturer does. When it comes to warranties, the vehicle should be maintained according to the manufacturer's instructions - not the dealer's recommendations.
The dealer has a lot of say, and sway on anything warranty related. The dealer is getting the billable hours and money, not the mfr. That's where the customer relationship exists, with the dealer, not the mfr. Sorry it's not as cut and dry as you state. Not in my experience, with many mfr's.

I also recycle religiously and conserve water and electricity. We pick our poisons, don't we? :)
I run 35 solar panels on my house and DD an electric vehicle but I'm not the one telling people they are harming the environment changing their oil early while buying a new vehicle every year. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Exactly my point. My dealer recommends certain mileage for air filter, etc. Any warranty issues they will be the one working on the vehicle.
That wasn't your point at all!

You claimed that people should "just look at the maintenance schedule for all the various things and change them when needed like every other vehicle in the history of vehicles."

When in fact, there is no such maintenance schedule to look at. That is why you should follow the MM system.

The made-up schedules invented by some dealers are created EXCLUSIVELY to maximize their profits.
There is no logic, science, testing, or research behind dealer maintenance intervals. They are created for the sole purpose of extracting money from your pocket.

·
Super Moderator
12,790 Posts
The dealer has a lot of say, and sway on anything warranty related. The dealer is getting the billable hours and money, not the mfr. That's where the customer relationship exists, with the dealer, not the mfr. Sorry it's not as cut and dry as you state. Not in my experience, with many mfr's.
Do you think a dealer would rather do customer-pay work for $150/hr. or warranty-pay work for $100/hr.? Unless they're sitting around twiddling their thumbs, dealers will try and find their way around warranty work unless its unavoidable.

I run 35 solar panels on my house and DD an electric vehicle but I'm not the one telling people they are harming the environment changing their oil early while buying a new vehicle every year. :)
Do you need a Ridgeline and an EV? Can you not daily the Ridgeline? I'm guessing the cost of the EV will buy a lot of gasoline for the Ridgeline and you'd save on insurance.

I might paint my roof with solar panels, too, if the cost was heavily subsidized. Otherwise, I can buy 25 years' worth of electricity from my utility company for what a solar installation would cost at current prices. Then, there's the pollution generated during the manufacture of those solar panels and the batteries for solar systems and EV's. The panels might make it to 25 years, but the battery bank will probably need to be replaced a few times.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Do you think a dealer would rather do customer-pay work for $150/hr. or warranty-pay work for $100/hr.? Unless they're sitting around twiddling their thumbs, dealers will try and find their way around warranty work unless its unavoidable.
In my experience, with dealers you establish a relationship. In my experience they aren't going to try and find a way to get around warranty work. Perhaps your experience is vastly different than mine. Dealers, most all that I have experienced, are very focused, via their service department, on customer satisfaction and retention. If you are doing maintenance items earlier, well I've never seen or heard of a dealer denying warranty work. "You changed your diff fluid early so we cannot honor warranty even though we did the service work" <--- I've never seen anything like this. I have seen warranty denial on vehicles where owners mod the engine and tune it via aftermarket. Same goes for anyone changing their oil and having it analyzed. Never seen it.

Do you need a Ridgeline and an EV? Can you not daily the Ridgeline? I'm guessing the cost of the EV will buy a lot of gasoline for the Ridgeline and you'd save on insurance.
Do you need a Ridgeline and a Miata? Again, you are making this personal now I think. I stated what you have said on here multiple times, about changing oil or whatever early being harmful to the environment. I only pointed out the hypocrisy of that statement when you purchase a new vehicle every year.

I paid $6700 for my electric vehicle + $1600 for a 7 year bumper to bumper warranty from the factory I bought it from. I've had it in my possession for 5.5 years. I have never spent a dime on fuel for it as I make my own and/or charge it at work. Insurance cost is negligible as it is tied to my homeowners and get a multi-line discount. It requires almost no maintenance. It does not have the range necessary for road trips, cannot tow, etc, but it works excellently as a daily driver. Since mileage is split, both vehicles will last 2X, 3X, or 4X as long as just having one. So the match and financials check out long term. I'll drive the EV into the ground, so 15 years or more. At the purchase price it pays for itself long term, plus actually saves quite a bit of money.

I might paint my roof with solar panels, too, if the cost was heavily subsidized. Otherwise, I can buy 25 years' worth of electricity from my utility company for what a solar installation would cost at current prices. Then, there's the pollution generated during the manufacture of those solar panels and the batteries for solar systems and EV's. The panels might make it to 25 years, but the battery bank will probably need to be replaced a few times.
Well I didn't buy my panels, I leased them. First year since the switch was flipped on and every subsequent year it's 4 figure savings annually in annual kwh cost, and that's with the lease payment factored in. Add another 4 figures in annual savings in gasoline. Started saving the minute they were collecting power. Battery storage for panels does not make sense at this time, and not this geographic region. Too much AC use annually. And battery backup is in its' infancy. I do have a friend who has to deal with P&E in California who just put in two Powerwalls due to the P&E blackouts. We don't have this problem here with Oncor.

Again, talking about pollution. How much pollution is generated producing vehicles in general? And how much pollution are you generating buying new vehicles every year? That's a bit like the Pot calling the Kettle black.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts