Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not specifically for the Ridgeline yet but it could be in the future. Does anyone have any good experience with restoring cloudy headlight lens covers? My daughter’s car has headlights that are now cloudy enough that they do not project light correctly ahead of the car. It is kind of a nice soft glow though. Kind of like a fluorescent tube would make, just not very effective. I tried to clean the inside of the lens by removing the bulb and trying to wipe the inside of the cover with alcohol on a cotton pad. That did not work. I also applied "Dry-Wash-and-Guard" to the outside of the cover. That helped somewhat but not nearly enough.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Hi U-H,

Check around for some type of wax/polish that's marketed for motorcycle windshields. From what I recall of my bike riding days, this type of product worked well at removing minor scratches and it might work on those headlight lenses. There's also a similar type of product available for restoring the lenses on the light bars of emergency vehicles (such as the red/blue lights that nobody wants to see in their rearview mirror). I'm sorry that I can't recommend brands/companies but it's been quite some time since I have used these products.

Here's one such product (found with a quick Google search):

http://www.sdplastics.com/novus.html

As far as I know, I have no experience with this company's products and I have no connection to them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
ridged said:
Here's one such product (found with a quick Google search):

http://www.sdplastics.com/novus.html
I'm familiar with this product and it works well but only on plastic. The headlight covers are probably glass and you'll need something tougher. I know there are polishers for glass but I've never used any of them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I used Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl Remover on my '95 T-100 that had plastic lenses. It took quite a bit of rubbing but it came out pretty clear. It will probably depend on how "cloudy" they are. I first tried a small spot on one corner and ended up doing both lenses completely. It was definately worth the effort.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Try making a paste with Bon-Ami cleanser and scrub lenses really well with just and old wash cloth. Difference between night and day. Can purchase it at Wal-Mart.

I like “Bar Keepers Friend” (cleanser & polish) better. It’s also available at Wal-Mart.
I use it on fiberglass, stainless steel, glass etc. Doesn’t scratch.

Even better is a product called Novus plastic polish. I bought a bottle at a motorcycle shop for taking scratches out of plastic. They had several different types of it. Mine says “Red2” on the label, for plastic polishing. Other labels said for use on clear plastic lenses.

I would try the Bar Keepers Friend first, It would be easier to purchase.

Joe

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi UH, I second the Novus Plastic Polish. Work's like a champ. If you can't find it Maguires makes a similar product. BTW, how did the Polk speaker install go?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yep, the Novus Red-2 is the way to go. I used to use it to keep the plastic rear windows in my convertibles crystal clear. Works great to take haze and scratches out of plastic. Also works great to repair CD's and DVD's too!

Cheers,
Jeffro

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! I knew the ROC would come through! I will try some, maybe all, of the suggestions. She also put what said was Armorall on the interior. It made a real mess of the plastic lens/cover for the speedo too. Some of the trim is discolored and probably stained. Did I mention it is a Ford Focus? No big loss here. It is destined to go away so that I can complete a trade in for her but I don't want it to be in too rough shape for the dealer to give me a decent price for it. It has lived a rough life. A little cosmetic cleanup should help. Thanks everyone for the great info.

BamaRidge, I have not started the speaker upgrade yet. I changed my mind back to the Infinity speakers after another listening session. I hope to get to it in the next week or so. For what it's worth, I just returned from a trip to Florida in a Dodge Caravan. The factory speakers in the Ridgeline are much better. Hard to believe but true. If the factory speakers in the Ridgeline are $4.00 speakers, the Dodge speakers must be $2.00 speakers at best. Very muddy and no high end at all. Getting back into the Ridgeline makes me appreciate just how good it really is in comparison to the Caravan. (More on that later)

·
Registered
6 Posts
You may want to give Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish a try too, it works wonders on plastic, even makes those cloudy plastic rear S2000 windows clear again. You may have to get it at a bike dealer though, most car dealers dont carry it.
.... this stuff works great on everything, I went over my HD with it at the Fun Ford Weekend and people had never seen the stuff before .... I got a top 5 award too in the show class!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just got my Oct.Handyman Magazine and there's a article about "making those cloudy headlights sparkle like new". They recomend a Headlight Lens Restoration Kit made by Permatex ($13)www.permatex.com. Available at a well stocked auto parts store. I haven't tried it but they say the results are fantastic.

·
Registered
430 Posts
jez said:
Just got my Oct.Handyman Magazine and there's a article about "making those cloudy headlights sparkle like new". They recomend a Headlight Lens Restoration Kit made by Permatex ($13)www.permatex.com. Available at a well stocked auto parts store. I haven't tried it but they say the results are fantastic.
Jez, you beat me to it. I just finished reading the October issue last night and brought it in to work so I could reference it for this thread. I am glad to hear there is another ROC member who subscribes to The Family Handyman. My dad got me this subscription a year ago and I don't think I will every be with out it (especially since he has renewed it :D ).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Meguiar's Makes SCRATCH-X (Black Tube). I just used it on a friends '98 Mustang Lenses and they came out looking like new. When we started they were tan & cloudy. Now they look new

·
Registered
68 Posts
Okay, this is weird, but I happened to have a bottle of Meguire's cleaner wax in my hand when helping a neighbor out yesterday. I rubbed a little on a badly clouded Mitsubishi headlight cover and after just a minute, it looks much better. I want to try it on both whole headlights now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here's a great solution that's free. I've tried the various auto store solutions for fogged lens covers varying from rub on abrasives to kits with polishing buffers you use with a drill. At best they make the lens look good for a while and then in no time you are back to the same old cloudiness.

I have a wood stove with a glass window that gets crapped up and difficult to clean. I read how a damp cloth with some fireplace ash might work. Did it indeed. Changed a 15 minute cleaning to about 1 minute - so I gave it a try on my Ridgeline.

Took all of a minute. The absolute best results. Lens looked like new. It has been 6 months since and no change back to cloudiness lens still looks like new.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm about to blow your minds - Deep Woods Off. It has to be deep woods, it has to be Off. I don't know why. Spray a generous amount of Deep Woods Off on a micro fiber towel, and then wipe (don't rub / buff....JUST wipe) the towel across the fogged lens. Two or three "wipes" and you'll be surprised, and it lasts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts