Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have waited long enough on ordering my cover , I am going to do it this week, I just wanted to ask are you all happy with yours ?

What did you pay total if you had it installed ?

Thanks

Baja

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I hope you got your order in. Consensus seems positive from those who have them installed. Ours is in a box for a few more hours. We'll put it in tonight after it cools down a bit. YIPPEE!

There were no installers in our area, so I can't comment of the price of paying someone else to put it in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Installed mine last weekend, its very simple to install but you do need a second person. I really think its a great product. Looks great, works as advertized, and a snap to install.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
All of these positive reviews is making it hard for me to resist. Must be strong . . . :)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I am very happy with mine. It really is easy to install. You do need a second person for a few minutes when you are ready to lift the canister and rail assemblyinto the bed. You do need a #40 and a #50 Torx bit for your ratchet. They are used to remove and reinstall the tie down clamps in the bed. If you do not want to install it yourself I would not want to pay anyone more than $100.00 to do the job. In my other Retrax post, Note that you should order the cover for the lock seperately. It sells for $4.00. Also, note the posted instructions that show that you should push the side rail rubber molding slightly outward, almost as if you were going to remove it. That will allow the rubber gasket to seal tightly to the bed wall due to the slight bow in the Ridgelines bed wall. Maybe by now retrax has updated their instructions to include the directions on doing so. I would also apply some wax or protectant to the cover as soon as it is installed. I used Dry Wash & Guard. The cover has a shiny surface and can scratch easily if something is put on top and pulled across the cover, especially when it is dusty or dirty. As I mentioned in the other Retrax thread, I still have not installed the electric tailgate lock (backordered) or the electric Retrax lock. I also have not yet decided if I am going to install the optional tailgate gasket seal.

Go for it! Enjoy!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ultra-HOG,
I've viewed several threads covering Retrax (pun intended) but I haven’t found any discussing weight. How heavy is this cover? How easily could it be removed if you needed to haul something that needed to fit to the front of the box? How much of an obstruction is the housing that the cover rolls into?

Love the look...not sure about the bulk and trunk issue.

Please advise.

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
We just installed ours tonight. I took lots of pics, but I'm having a bit of trouble with my photo program, so it could be a while before I can post any.

It's not heavy, just an odd shape with the two rail arms sticking out. The box it came in said 65#s. It will not be a cinch to take out, but not impossible either. You would need two people to lift it out to control those long arms so you don't scratch anything.

We had to fight the two screws that go in last by the cab. You'd have to remove them and the two easy screws by the tailgate. I think that's all the screws. Since it retracts clear into the box I am not anticipating ever taking it out.

It looks great. We'll see if mileage improves on our next fill up.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
JCH, The canister box takes up about 15" of the bed in length. It is about 8 1/2 " deep from the bottom of the window to the bottom of the canister. That leaves about 9" clearance below the canister for full bed length items. I have been moving a lot of stuff from my basement to another property these past two weeks. Tha Retrax cover has not been in the way. Today I moved two boxes of wall paneling sections. Each box was 8'6" x 20" wide x 3" thick. I put two 2 x 4s down first and the paneling boxes on top of them and slid them all the way to the front of the bed under the canister. I used that space for other small items as well. So far I have not needed to move a refrigerator or large furniture. For my purposes, the amount of space that is taken by the canister is far less important than having the ability to cover and secure the bed space.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks Ultra-HOG for your reply. I'd love to see this cover in person. You're in PSU town; I'm in Yuengling territory. Maybe we could meet up in Lewisburg sometime!

By the way, checking out this cover on the Retrax web site, I think the cover looks the best on the Ridge. All other trucks have the cover sitting on top of the bed, the ridge has them set in. Very sharp!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My wife and I do go to lewisburg to the Roller Mills Antique shop and to Country Cupboard from time to time. If you want me to call you the next time we head in that direction, PM me with your phone number. We sometimes don't decide until the last minute and it is generally on a rainy Saturday or Sunday. I would be happy to meet you and show you the cover. If you get to State College, I am 5 minutes from Beaver Stadium.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ultra-HOG said:
My wife and I do go to lewisburg to the Roller Mills Antique shop and to Country Cupboard from time to time. If you want me to call you the next time we head in that direction, PM me with your phone number. We sometimes don't decide until the last minute and it is generally on a rainy Saturday or Sunday. I would be happy to meet you and show you the cover. If you get to State College, I am 5 minutes from Beaver Stadium.
Very cool! Thanks U-H.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Several questions about this product.

1. I see that it rolls up, and under, ar the front of the bed. Does this seem to make teh bed shorter? I usually mount my mountain bikes, upright in the bed, and this looks like it might get in the way.

2. I am also seeing some soft "roll-up" covers that don't really provide security, just protection from the elements. Anyone have one of these?

·
Registered
234 Posts
That is the only down fall to the retrax. It does take up about a foot of bed space up front but other than that I really like mine.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Several questions about this product.

1. I see that it rolls up, and under, ar the front of the bed. Does this seem to make teh bed shorter? I usually mount my mountain bikes, upright in the bed, and this looks like it might get in the way.

2. I am also seeing some soft "roll-up" covers that don't really provide security, just protection from the elements. Anyone have one of these?
Geez, can't believe this thread has been exhumed after 4 years!

Yep, the Retrax does roll up in a cannister attached to the front of the bed. And yes, the cannister does take up some room. About 10 inches of the bed. But I've had my Retrax for over a year, and I sure wouldn't even consider any other bed cover. LOVE my Retrax.

One of the best things about the Retrax is that you can lock it. And I got the Pop 'n Lock tailgate lock, so my bed can be totally secured. Well, to anyone except the hard core thieves who can crack it open with a crow bar.

If you need more info on the Retrax, just do a search for "Retrax", and you'll get all the info you want.

Good luck with your shopping!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the club and still trying to figure out how this works. I'm interested in getting a retractable cover and I've looked at Roll n Lock, pace edwards and retrax. Does anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Recommendations??? Just do a quick search, and you'll find dozens of them! But hey, if you want mine, I'd definitely recommend Retrax. I did LOTS of research before buying a bed cover, and always came back to the Retrax. Mine's been on for over a year, and I still love it. No question at all that I'd buy it again. Good luck with your shopping. Did I mention you should buy a Retrax?? :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts