Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to know how those two system behave with our weather during winter. I readed a lot of comment from US both i always keep in mind that they have to call the national security when they have 2" of snow!!!

Any comment would be appreciated. I'm shopping around for either one. I have the OEM hard cover and i hate it...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Welcome to the ROC:cheerleader: I have a Retrax and live in Utah where the winters can be hellish. The Retrax handles these conditions great:act035:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have had a ReTrax on since day one on my 2007 and I would do it again, it still looks great works great and fits my needs and my bed looks brand new. Last year I replaced the
seal around it, on one side the rubber separated, got new one for both sides, no snow here but some harsh heat and humidity and rain. Not sure what I paid for the replacement parts but it was cheap and got it very fast....they are great customer service type folks....

·
Registered
286 Posts
i have a roll and lock and it's a nightmare during the winter! since its all metal underneath, everything freezes! Mainly the lock. Even when I use those key defroster sprays, it doesn't work that well. Other than that, its all good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is what i tought... Toronto has less snow than us in montreal and quebec but if yours froze, i can imagine it here...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got bakflip 2.

With locking.

Did some minor additions to waterproof top and yes not one drop in truck.

Love Bakflip.
Great security.
Pa

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I've also got a Retrax on my '06. I've only been in sparse snow on a couple of vacation occasions, so can't speak to that (but looks like you got a good answer above).
Regarding service, I can't say how impressed I was with the folks at Retrax making every extra effort to be sure I was a happy camper.
Also, I CAN say that the key lock has a rubber cover that protects it, which is still well in tact on mine 9 years later (May 2005), with I'm ashamed to say, no particular special protective care taken of it (or the truck).

Also, you might notice in their marketing info, Retrax boasts of the structural strength of their cover, to include a girl sitting (laying? I don't remember) on top of it. I was never so impressed that I was going to put that kind of weight on it. But coincidentally, while visiting my young granddaughters this month, one of them was up lounging around on the closed cover before I gently shoo'd her off. She's about 80 or 90 lbs. and no harm done.

It has been a good cover for me, and I especially appreciate that I can close to any infinite position (partially closed) & "lock it" into position (not as securely as when aligned with "Pin" holes, but it has a sharp scribe-type pin that holds pretty firm all along the way when deployed). This works particularly great when I have a big cooler (or anything else) sitting across the back that sits higher than the cover. I just pull the cover up snug against it & lock 'er down.

I do love it. Together with my locking tailgate I have mucho secure storage.

Don't forget your ROC discount if you buy the Retrax.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was looking at Retrax today. How high can you raise the trunk lid with it installed? I'm hoping someone with it installed can answer.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I was looking at Retrax today. How high can you raise the trunk lid with it installed? I'm hoping someone with it installed can answer.
Looks like a little over 21" at the narrowest point, measured from edge of opened lid to front edge of trunk opening.
I can still get my big (70 Qt?) white cooler in there with no problem . . . it just goes in at a bit more of an angle, where it would go more straight down in w/o Retrax installed.
I put all kinds of stuff in there, and most of the time, I don't even slide open my Retrax to get the max clearance (referenced 21"). You can still get in there just fine for most things.
Right now I'm on an extended road trip & have tools, golf clubs, fishing gear, books, etc. etc. down there. Here's a post of trunk loaded before we left (this is with Retrax slid open):

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Good Day Fellow Ridgeliners, I just traded in my 06' Ridgeline RTL for a 2014 Ridgeline SE. I'm looking into buying a new Retrax cover for it. I had the original retrax on my 06, when I traded it in. I was looking at the Retrax Pro model, but I have some concerns with the rubber hinges holding the slabs together cracking over time since they're made of rubber. I'm also concerned while opening and closing the cover, dirt getting in between the slabs as they flex open and close during operating the cover, maybe jamming them. I was also wondering if the Retrax Pro is more water proof than the Retrax One version? My original Retrax on my 06' leaked a bit, so anytime I put luggage in the back, when it was raining I had to put them in plastic bags. Kindly let me know if anybody's had any experience with either or both covers? And if the $500.00+ extra for the Pro version is worth it. I installed a Retrax One on my father's 2012 Ridgeline a year ago and I noticed the improvements made compared to my original one on my 06' ridgeline. Also is Randy still the person to contact over at Retrax to get a discounted rate? And if so, what's the price for both covers with the discount? So, far the cheapest I've found, has been on Amazon.com. Thank You all in advance for any info relating to my questions.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Good Day Fellow Ridgeliners, I just traded in my 06' Ridgeline RTL for a 2014 Ridgeline SE. I'm looking into buying a new Retrax cover for it. I had the original retrax on my 06, when I traded it in. I was looking at the Retrax Pro model, but I have some concerns with the rubber hinges holding the slabs together cracking over time since they're made of rubber. I'm also concerned while opening and closing the cover, dirt getting in between the slabs as they flex open and close during operating the cover, maybe jamming them. I was also wondering if the Retrax Pro is more water proof than the Retrax One version? My original Retrax on my 06' leaked a bit, so anytime I put luggage in the back, when it was raining I had to put them in plastic bags. Kindly let me know if anybody's had any experience with either or both covers? And if the $500.00+ extra for the Pro version is worth it. I installed a Retrax One on my father's 2012 Ridgeline a year ago and I noticed the improvements made compared to my original one on my 06' ridgeline. Also is Randy still the person to contact over at Retrax to get a discounted rate? And if so, what's the price for both covers with the discount? So, far the cheapest I've found, has been on Amazon.com. Thank You all in advance for any info relating to my questions.
Ditto previous response: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1482610&postcount=4

also..... You really only need to post one place.... most folks check "Today's posts" or "New Posts" (when logged in), so they'll see your query in either of these areas. Just FYI to save you some effort.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts