Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the verdict on using/not using the tailgate seal with the Retrax. Ultra-HOG, I know you left off the installation of the seal until you could see if there was any dust/dirt problem -- any feedback yet?

I will be receiving my cover on Tuesday including tailgate seal but I can't decide if I want to install the seal. Any suggests welcomed.

Argent Pantere (aka Mike Richardson)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
There does seem to be some dust that gets into the bed but it is not too bad so far. I still have not decided on weather I should put it on or not. I did email Randy at Retrax and requested either a slightly bigger molding for the bed rail or a rubber strip to close the gap between the bed and the rail. Nothing heard yet. Due to the location of the bolt for the bed that is in the center of the rail, it is not possible to have a mounting bracket in the center of the rail like standard pickup beds have. There is a very slight gap between the bow in the bed and the rail itself. It is just enough that I can slip a pice of paper into the gap. It is not really a problem and water from the cover can not get to it because of the rail and the track itself. It rally is a small detail. I will post a message about the solution and the seal when I decide what I am going to do, if anything.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have not purchased the Tailgate Seal, however, I am interested how the "Drain Tubes" are installed on your truck. When my dealer installed the Retrax Tonneau Cover, and it came time to hook up the drain tubes, he removed the caps at the rear of the bed and found a "Bolt" underneath so did not install them. Retrax advised that if your drill a hole through the cap and thread the drain tube through to the bolt head, any water, will drain to the ground. So far I have just tucked these drain tubes to the side of the bed and so far have not noticed any water yet!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Drill the 1/2" holes in the rubber caps. There is an existing small hole, roughly 1/8" I think, just beside the bolt that is below the rubber cap. The water will drain through that hole to the ground. You may need a flashlight and maybe a small wire to poke the hole so that you can see it. Pour a cup of water on the bolt head to test it if you want to be sure. There will not be much water going through those tubes, just a few drops from time to time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was just going to ask if anyone noticed the bolt covers used for draining. So you say that there is in fact a small hole there. I sure hope so. What I don't need is rusted out bolts.
I also did a water test on the cover. I can live with the water that gets through the sides of the rail. But, if you can't then you can get some sticky backed black rubber and run it over the rails but stuck on the bed. That should prevent all the water from getting in. You may have to double it over the bolts on the side but I think that would work.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I was not asked if I wanted the tailgate seal. This is something you pay extra for? What does it look like? I guess I don't understand why you would leave it off. Is it hard to install?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The tailgate seal "Gate Gasket" is sold seperately. There is a gasket on the underside of the Retrax cover that seals the top of the tailgate to the cover. The Gate Gasket is a seperate kit that seals the sides and the bottom of the tailgate when it is closed. Retrax says that having the bed covered creates a vaccuum at highway speeds and allows dust to get into the bed. I have not seen much dust in the bed yet and since I would rather allow the bed to breathe, I have not installed the kit yet. If the dust becomes a problem I will install it.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
We got the gate gasket, though I do not remember ordering it. We did not put it on yet. There were no directions or photos to show how to put it on. There is so much curve on the panels and tailgate that it didn't seem to make a good seal no matter which way we held it put to the tailgate. It was the weekend, so I couldn't call for advice. I think we'll drive it for a while too and see if we want to bother with it.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
After spending three days on back roads, it convinced me that the gate seal is a good thing. Has anyone installed it yet?

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Dumbutt:

I'd be interested to know if your cover leaks now that you've got it all sealed up. Also, to everyone else, approximately how long did it take you to get the cover once you ordered it? Also did you install it yourself or have the dealer do it? I'm reasonably handy, but don't have a tremendous amount of confidence in my ability on something like this and wouldn't want to muck up the truck. Advice is welcome.

I'm guessing your first piece of advice is to BUY the truck first. Which I may, but I've got a fishing trip planned that I'd like to take it on and ideally would have the cover prior to that. I leave on 8/26 for that trip.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
It took about 10 days for mine to be delivered but it was right after they started to produce them. Randy at Retrax was accurate in predicting the estimated time of arrival. Call them and ask what their lead time is and allow for transit time. I would not worry about installing it yourself. If you want to pay someone else to do it don't pay for maore than two hours of labor. It is a very easy installation. There is nothing to disassemble on the truck, no panels to remove, no permanent changes to the truck. There are no holes to drill other than the two 1/2" holes for the canister drain tubes in the existing rubber covers for the bolts that hold the bed on. If you ever want to remove the cover permanently and replace those rubber caps, they cant cost more than a buck or two and they just press in place. It really is a very simple installation. You will need a second pair of hands for two minutes to help lift the canister and side rail assembly onto the truck bed after you installed the mounting brackets. It is not heavy. A third person standing at the rear of the truck just to keep en eye on the rails as the drop into place will assure that you do not scratch anything. The brackets are installed by removing some existing #40 and #50 Torx bolts and putting the mounting brackets in place and reinstalling the Torx bolts. Read through the thread if you have not done so already and you will find a lot of information about the installation. It is a lot easier than it looks.

Go for it! Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Oh, mine does not leak anymore from the sides now that I adjusted the side rail moldings per the instructions from Retrax. A few tablespoons of water may get past the front gasket if I wash it and rinse with a lot of pressure. Normal rain does not get in. If I parked facing downhill I guess that some could get in, but not very much would get past the canister drains. Only the rain that fell directly onto the canister cover or ran off the back glass could reach the foward gasket. I still would not put anything in the bed that could be damaged by a little bit of water. That stuff goes in the trunk, in the cab, or in a plastic bag or plastic tub. Even though it seems to be water tight I don't consider it to be so.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thanks so much Mr. Ulta HOG. As I know you've seen before, I'm worried about the weatherproofness of this tonneau cover. At the same time, the Honda cover sounds like it's NOT waterproof and is less flexible in terms of use of the bed. So really, it sounds like the re-trax is the way to go. I hope. 10 days will put me at the edge if I don't get going. My lovely wife took the Accord on a short trip this weekend or I may have made the swap today. I'm really waiting to find out if my son is going to buy the Accord from me. If not, I may have to wait a few weeks to sell it privately. I assume I'll get screwed if I try to trade it in.

Installation sounds pretty easy and fortunately I've got a couple of REALLY handy friends who live right next door. So I think I'll attempt it myself.

Once again, thanks so much for your help and advice.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I did mine this way, if there is an other way let me know. Think the Retrax install intstructions referred to the convential pick ups and not the Ridge.
Lower gasket installed on the back end of the truck lid, keep the bulb portion slightly below the lower rib portion (so it's not damaged when loading or un loading) You will notice that both the left and right hand corners of the trunk lid cover there is kinda a 1/4 moon curve, I cut that lower gasket approx 1/8 inch beyond 1st curve.
Right Side Gasket Seal (Tonneau Cover fully forward if allready installed) Remove the rear Track Rail Screw so the gasket can be installed underneath it. "Word of caution back of screw just enofe to lift track rail, don't want nylon or plastic spacer bushing to fall out" After the gasket is installed under the track rail you will have to press down quite firm to re-install the track screw. The vertical down of this gasket is quite critical if you want a good seal. It's the fore and aft of the bulb on seal were the tail gate meets the truck box. So I suggest you don't press down hard on the adhevise tape so you can still move it FORE & AFT, you can check out your seal tolererance by closing and opening the tail gate to check for voids. I cut my gasket seal at the bottom of the second intentation on the bottom.
Left hand gasket seal same as right side with one exception the lower track bracket is wider than the right so just trim back.
Truckin' said:
After spending three days on back roads, it convinced me that the gate seal is a good thing. Has anyone installed it yet?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Ridge Man said:
I did mine this way,
That description and the photos are exactly what I needed. Thanks.

If you don't spend time off the pavement, this gasket is probably not necessary. We only got the mess after going on dirt roads.

We have no leak problems, but the car wash is the only real test it's had. I plan on using plastic tubs and plastic bags to make sure our things stay dry.

I have photos of the Retrax installation. If anyone is interested, I'll get them posted.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Truckin,
I think that Ultra Hog already started a thread with pics about the Retrax installation. It would probably be a good idea to add your pics to that thread. The more pictures the better for those of us still sitting on the fence! :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey Ridge Man
Nice job on that install. I'm just about to put my gate gaskets on but I noticed quite the gap on the left side of the bed, between the trunk lid and the tailgate.
Did you have this problem and if so how did you resolve it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
HenryHonda said:
Hey Ridge Man
Nice job on that install. I'm just about to put my gate gaskets on but I noticed quite the gap on the left side of the bed, between the trunk lid and the tailgate.
Did you have this problem and if so how did you resolve it?
In my initial post I had just put the gaskets on with masking tape to check for fit. That's when I noticed the gap across the bottom (which actually runs almost the whole length on my Ridge).
I called RETRAX and spoke with John about it. He suggested trying to move the gasket up or down along the edge of the trunk lid to achieve a better seal. Didn't help in my case. He then offered to send me a 5 ft piece of the same stuff used on the sides of the tailgate.
I installed it last night and the thicker gasket is more than enough to fill the gap. Maybe a little too much...I really have to shut the gate hard to close it so the bed lighting goes out. I'm hoping with time the gasket rubber will stay compressed with wear.

P.S. Thanks Ridge Man for those photos you posted. It helped a lot during the installation. (Printed them and had'em by my side :D .) Unfortunately I could'nt keep those spacer bushings from falling out. Inconvenient but no biggee.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts