Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my Retrax Tonneau Cover installed last Thursday 6/16/05. Everything is fine, except, when my dealer installed the "DRAIN TUBES", he removed the caps at the front of the bed below the rear window and found a bolt under the caps. So he did NOT install the drain tubes. I called Retrax and talked to Randy and he advised that you should drill a hole thru each cap and insert the drain tubes, making sure to cut them to the correct length and replace the caps with the tubes. Supposedly the water will drain past these bolts and on to the ground. The instructions did not state this. Has anyone else experienced this and how was your installation handled. The gloss black finish shows dust, finger prints. Hoping a good wax job will help. Comments please!

·
Registered
29 Posts
hey ridge runner, the same thing happened to me...had my retrax installed yesterday and when we got to the drain tube part the installer told me it don't look like there's any place for the water to go past the bolts under those plugs....so i told him to forget the drain tubes and when i got home i took out the plugs and poured water down there and sure enough the water drained out....so i guess i'll attach the drain plugs although i washed the ridge with the retrax closed and a very minimal amount of water got into the bed anyhow....worth it or not ?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Do I understand that you both had them installed by a local dealer, or did you install it yourself? Either way, how do you like the finished product? Does it look and work as expected? Any comments other than the dust and fingerprints? If you can post any photos that would add anything that has not yet been posted please do. Thanks for the tip about the drain tubes. I have one on order and hope to have it delivered by next weekend. Anyone that will be coming to the Western Pa, Eastern Ohio ROC meet next Sunday the 26th can see one if all goes as planed with the delivery.

·
Registered
171 Posts
marko17 said:
i washed the ridge with the retrax closed and a very minimal amount of water got into the bed anyhow....worth it or not ?
How much water?
Do you think this cover would protect nylon luggage if you had it in the bed while driving in a heavy downpour?
Any specific places where it leaks the worst?
Do you see any way of fixing it so less water gets in?
How satisfied are you with the quality and ability to keep out water?
Any pictures of how much water gets in?

Thanks for any answers or input!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I talked to Randy at RETRAX today. He did not anticipate such a demand for his "Honda Cover". More covers will be available in approx. 1 week.

He may have said that he already has an electric lock or will soon for the cover itself. I think he said $67.00

Also, he only knows of 1 person/company making an electric lock for the tailgate. He hopes it will be avail. in a few weeks. Also about $67.00 I believe. He said this should be an electric lock that hooks into the trunks existing electric line. Only operating electrically with no parts to install on the outside of the tailgate. This would be what I want, no ugly handles or keyholes having to be put into the current handle/cutout.

I will be on vacation and plan to buy in about 1 month.
Still curious to hear from current owners about how much water gets in the bed during a heavy downpour while driving on the interstate???
Not asking for too much am I?
:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Retrax is the best thing going.I installed mined their is two small drian holes in the bolt hole wells get a flashligh and check if they are cloged or a piece of plastic is in the way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed the ReTrax in about 1.5 hours with the help of my 8 and 5-yr old sons. I could have done it in an hour without them :)

We did drill the caps and they work just fine in draining water away. I was skeptical and tried the 'glass of water' test, too. I also installed the tailgate seal. I've been driving around in heavy rain (Vancouver, BC) and did the automatic carwash test, too. I had a small leak at the front left and around the tie-downs - so I bought a tube of black silicone and sealed these areas. Since then it has been perfect.

I highly recommend the ReTrax. It looks great and it operates very smoothly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
also installed mine at home , also the tubes where install per instructions . good product , leaks a little water but not a problem , -skinner

·
Registered
616 Posts
06RTLNAVBlue said:
Still curious to hear from current owners about how much water gets in the bed during a heavy downpour while driving on the interstate???
Not asking for too much am I?
:D
Very little seeps by the sides, as in teaspoons, not cups.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
There are lots of photos scattered about the forum. Here's a good link to start with that will show you the installation process and the final result.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1295

This gives you a bit more in the real world review of the cover:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=107186#post107186

Here's a story of a silly thing that happened on a trip we took:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3460&highlight=retrax+rain

Here are some good pics of the tonneau on paulmooney's green truck:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3088&highlight=retrax+rain

You're going to see plenty more photos if you poke around a bit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts