Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of those, 'little knowledge could be dangerous' questions.
I travel with my search and rescue dogs.
They ride in the bed under a Leer Topper in crates.
Sliding glass window open and side windows of Leer open.

The idea is to get as much cool air back there as possible.
So, understand a bit of 'venturi principal' I was wondering if I installed a hood scoop BACKWARDS on the roof of the Leer, would that create a negative pressure at the exit of the scoop drawing the air flow from the cab, through the open slider and into the bed?

And theoretically out the scoop????

I've searched and searched the web looking for a nice looking closeable roof vent that could feed fresh air into the bed to no avail.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Sounds interesting. I think in theory and probably in practice this would work. I've seen crank pop up vents that work that way, at least that way you do some adjusting and experimenting but they wouldnt necessarily look as nice or finished. Also perhaps marine supply, some even have little solar fans, but i dont think they move that much air, just barely enough to combat a little musty air. Reminds me of cowel induction hoods. Perhaps researching on cowel induction would dig up some more info. It's always a concern that you pull exhaust from some pocket somewhere, but don't imagine that would happen in this case.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I googled camper vents till my fingers got sore.

About 5 years ago, I did find some that were about 3 x 9, metal and could open both ways, to scoop air or exhast air.

But I haven't found any.
I looked at marine supply also, as most of that stuff (I used to be a boater) was rust 'resistant' but nothing in a size and simple installation.

I hate to cut a hole in the fiberglass topper only to have it not work. LOL

The wife and I can be miserable, but the dogs MUST be comfortable. LOL

cranky 115 pound German Shepherd Dogs can be a chore!

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Here are a few I found...

·
Registered
595 Posts
It should work. You would want to place the vent as far back as possible on the roof to take advantage of the aerodynamics.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It should work. You would want to place the vent as far back as possible on the roof to take advantage of the aerodynamics.
Thank you Sir. And good point....didn't think of that...
Everyone is Chicagoland knows what the back window looks like in a wet snow slop day.
Been a long time since I studied that principal.
I 'Think' that the smaller the scoop, the better.
The smaller the orifice, the higher the pressure-velocity.

I taught hydraulics at the Fire Dept.
air is not the same as water, different frictions losses but the principles are the same.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I am very interested in getting a dog trained as you did. Where would I start? Labs are my dogs of choice,

Thanks

Gene

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Practically every major metro area has some sort of Search and Rescue Group.

Of course a email to the AKC (American Kennel Club) in NYC and ask them for a group in your area.

My next suggestion would be contacting your local Fire Dept, PD, and Forest Preserve District.

Most of these entities have S&R groups on speed dial, especially during the summer.

Good luck, BTW....A Lab is a great choice.
The 'Working Breeds, Shepherds, Hunting Dogs' learn to love it and when the pager would go off they would crash the door trying to get to the truck.

Now we use cell phones and they can't distinguish between a family call and a S&R Callout.

That's saved a few screendoors.

It's also a good family activity. The training part...

ALL DOGS SHOULD BE TRAINED....In whatever inherited instincts they have.
Dogs are happiest when they have jobs....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts