Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a while looking into options for this and after not finding what I needed anywhere I decided to pull the trigger on this Rhino Rack set up for a camper shell and try to retro fit it for the bed on my 2017 RTL-E. And I have to say it worked wonderfully. These are the 63" tracks cut down to fit bed length, with 65" heavy duty crossbars. They didn't sell a kit with these measurements so I had to call and have them piece it together. The only thing I had to order seperately were special bolts. I ordered stainless steel M6 x 55mm connecting bolts. They have a wide flat top and tighten with a hex wrench. I also had to fabricate/modify some rectangular washers since the flange on the bolt head wasn't quite wide enough for the track. But the the bolts go directly into the threaded holes in the car body underneath the plastic rail caps. It's pretty easy and seems very secure. I used the 55mm bolts which are actually slightly longer than necessary, I did this in case I want to reinstall my tonneau cover and keep the rack on. Sorry I didn't get pics of everything as I was doing it but I'll try and answer any questions y'all may have. The goal here was to have access the bed, be able to still mount a tonneau at some point, and keep the RTT from sticking above the cab. I'll post more pics when the tent arrives.
Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Clean install. Was it a pain getting the rails lined up and drilled out to match with the existing holes on the bed sides? I kinda hate the oversized plastic cap that cover the bed sides for applications where you want them to actually carry weight. Honda should've just kept it old school with sheetmetal that formed the cap and maybe some thin protection on top just to block out water from going underneath the bed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wasn't too bad. The hardest part was knowing exactly where to drill the holes in the plastic bed caps. I had to make those a little bigger than I would have liked to make it work. But lining up the tracks and drilling those out was easy and it lined up pretty well. Overall it was much easier than I anticipated. And If I want to add a retractable tonneau all I have to do is notch out spots on the flange of the tonneau where the bolts are and slide it under the tracks, and possibly ad a small piece of same thickness sheet aluminum on opposite side so the track sits flush. That's the long term goal. Baby steps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great job!
I was thinking of using the RTV tracks because I didn’t know how to mount the RTC track. But I see that you drilled holes to allow the Allen wrench to access the M6 bolt and washer in the bottom slots of the rail.

curious how you attached the rubber end caps to stay on the track? Did you use additional screw mounts or did they line up with the four bed mounts already available?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rubber end caps matched up to the holes in the body on the end of the bed. On the cab side they are just being held in by pressure. I thought about dabbing a tiny bit of silicone on them to hold them in place more permanently.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts