Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some pics of a friend's RL front end that took a hit on the driver's side by a large deer at 55 mph, and then swung around and hit the rear passenger door. The Air bags didn't deploy, and they shouldn't have which was a good thing.

The interesting thing is that the head light that took the brunt of the impact is undamaged with no cracks and still works while the metal fender crumpled. The plastic fender also remains undamaged. Just the steel was damaged.

They also had deer whistles mounted on the front. I don't think I'll be buying deer whistles.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
So sad for driver and deer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
sorry for both

deer whistles never work, zero sound.

save your $$

·
Registered
362 Posts
Oh deer :(

This is why we have deer hunting season, not to be mean but to lower the chances of it happening. Sorry bout the Ridge and hope your frineds ok.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I have to be careful when I am driving home from the hospital between 0230 and 0400 because there are some deer along the road that leads to my subdivision. They are only out at night/early morning. Luckily, they are always on the side of the road eating in the grass. I always slow down when I see them and I pray that they don't want to get a closer look at the Ridgeline.

Sorry about your friend's truck. It sounds like none of the truck occupants were injured.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zero said:
Sorry about your friend's truck. It sounds like none of the truck occupants were injured.
They're fine except for emotional pain and suffering. I just know that rear door will never quite close the way it did from the factory. We'll see. It would have been an easy repair if the deer just stopped at the front.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I live in Eastern Texas and there are deer everywhere. I have killed deer and ruined my car at the same time in the past and many folks out here have grill guards made of steel or alloy to deflect some of the damage should they encounter a deer.

During the rut one year I parked my golf cart on the cart path and went to find my golf ball. When I came back I saw a buck deer with his nose to the ground heading right for the cart. Believe it or not, he walked right into it, bounced off and went around it and on his way. In certain high density areas and especially during the fall, deer pay no attention and have only one thing in mind.

I should have asked my dealer I guess but I can not find a grill guard on the accessory sheet. Does Honda even make one for the RTL?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I grew up, well I did my best to anyway, in the Poconos where we hit deer on occasion. That truck looked good if it was any kind of deer I knew. I love the truck, almost as much as my kids do. Although I don't feel the need to pamper it like I do with my other Hondas. Should I feel guilty for ridin' it hard and puttin' it away wet?

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Nope. Long live dirty Ridgelines with scratched beds. :)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Andy Bradley said:
I grew up, well I did my best to anyway, in the Poconos where we hit deer on occasion. That truck looked good if it was any kind of deer I knew. ?
They said the deer was quite big. They caught him in the shoulder with that head light.

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
I am psychic! I've been worried about this exact thing happening on our trip next week to your part of the woods, Ridge. I hope my visions were just of your friend and not us! Sorry to hear about this.

I have even been thinking about getting those whistles, but will take everyone's advice, and not.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
RidgeOwner3 said:
I have even been thinking about getting those whistles, but will take everyone's advice, and not.
Don't worry, your windshield moulding and roof rack will scare them off :eek: :)

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
LOL. But thankfully I don't have those whistles or excessive wind noise (or roof rack) and I bought one of the first ones. Guess I got lucky.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts