Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have test drove both the BE and the RTL-E here in the Charleston, SC area. As we have been blessed/cursed with high temps and humidity, I have not been impressed by the AC. Maybe it's me, but other opinions/observations would be helpful. Thanks.

· Registered
45 Posts
It does take a little to get used to, it is not really weak, but the fan speed in front does not go extremely high and it is more perception than reality of the overall cooling. However there is a rear fan as well which helps in cooling the vehicle off faster (three zones).

In my 2015 Canyon, two degrees went from Hell to Antarctica (not a good thing), however the Ridgeline is more subtle.

I did notice the same thing as you when I test drove the first time, however after having purchased and getting used to it, it isn't an issue. I do find I keep the temp a couple degrees cooler. Press "auto" and reducing the temp to "LO" will freeze you out after a while.

I'm in Louisiana... It's always hot here.

· Registered
556 Posts
I have test drove both the BE and the RTL-E here in the Charleston, SC area. As we have been blessed/cursed with high temps and humidity, I have not been impressed by the AC. Maybe it's me, but other opinions/observations would be helpful. Thanks.
In SC you might be a little warmer than us, but I test drove a RTL Modern Steel/Black Interior during last weeks heat wave (101 degrees) and although it had sat closed up outside all day it seemed to cool down reasonably quick.

A couple of things I can think of to check, were all temps (Driver, Pass, Rear) set to the same temp? If not some warm air might have been introduced back in to the mix.

Also, was 'ECON' on? ECON cycles the A/C off more often for better MPGs

Hope this helps

· Registered
169 Posts
Yeah, I feel my AC is a bit lacking when you first start up on a hot humid day but that is a given because high temps and humidity will factor in how cold your AC will be. After a few minutes of driving it will slowly get cooler and when you're on the freeway it's freezing cold.

· Registered
1,278 Posts
I find them to be more even. The truck gets cooled down, but I don't get that ICE frosting air in 2 minutes then hot stuffy air when you turn it off 2 minutes later. When my arms get too cold I move it to just my feet for a while, than back to both. I think they've done a good job with this, but if you are looking for that Arctic Air blast that most cars have, I haven't felt that.

· Registered
606 Posts
Yeah its polar opposites as far as econ off and on when its comes to the AC. That would be the first thing I would check as well.

· Premium Member
608 Posts
My personal experience is being down in Phoenix at 110+ on several days. Without Econ on, it blasts out cool air just fine, indeed! I just gave up on 'Econ' as it dulls the throttle a little and is all over the place with the temp in the cabin.

I have noticed that, on hot days outside, but pulling out of a garage where the 'inside' temp of the vehicle was lower, it takes a short while for the system to properly sense and adjust and then blow out coldly. I just turn it off to pull out, then turn it on, or just lower the temp for the first few miles, then re-adjust to where I normally run it. This doesn't happen at all if the vehicle has been sitting in the sun and the interior is plenty warm already, so I'm thinking it's the interior sensor needing to 'wake up' and adjust. Heck, in the old days, we just threw the lever all the way to the left to start. These auto systems look to interior temp and sometimes even warm up the cabin before starting to blow cold air as the sensor tries to adjust the temp to the exact number it's told to make it.

· Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Both of the models you drove had a sunroof. Sunroofs are less insulated that a solid roof with headliner. That might contribute slightly as well.

· Registered
13 Posts
On the contrary with my new RTL-E, I find that I need to keep turning the AC to warmer because it shoots out too cold air and I'm one that has to have it very cold. It's also very hot and very humid here so I'm very pleasantly surprised. One thing to note is that I've had to fuss with all the controls to get it where I like it, unlike my G1 where it seemed easier to set.

· Registered
322 Posts
Up here in NH, we have been in the 90's for a good 2 weeks. The only time I have had the fan off its lowest setting is right after getting in the truck. Otherwise, it's been on low and I find myself raising the temp on occasion because it's just too cold for me. Everyone is different.

· Registered
182 Posts
On the contrary with my new RTL-E, I find that I need to keep turning the AC to warmer because it shoots out too cold air and I'm one that has to have it very cold. It's also very hot and very humid here so I'm very pleasantly surprised. One thing to note is that I've had to fuss with all the controls to get it where I like it, unlike my G1 where it seemed easier to set.
I noticed the same the first day I bought the truck.

When you set the thermostat to say 75 from 72, it still blows cold (seems more like 65 to 69) and takes a FULL minute before it even thinks about adjusting the temp or blower speed. this is with Econ off before anyone asks. The HVAC is sleeping... :|

· Registered
166 Posts
I noticed something "different" about the A/C, however, it was a positive different. The temp changes were more subtle, however, I chalked that up to a very roomy cabin.
It's been in the mid-90's for a couple of months here, in Atlanta, and have had zero issues keeping cool.
I also like the rocker switch better than a standard knob, since it gives you more granular control w/o having to look at the control and display to see where you're at. One quick push, and you're up or down a degree...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.